Dual CS-616Q weird static

Electone

This is a direct-drive, quartz lock, semi-auto table. I'm having a weird issue. I get a very low-level hum (not audible when listening to an album) and a static when the platter starts spinning (whether under its own power or just manually spinning it by hand). If you touch the center spindle, the hum completely disappears. I have checked and tightened all the ground wire screws, I have a good ground to the amp and the tonearm wires are all good and tight at the cartridge. Any ideas?

Solved!

It seems many Dual turntables suffer from this issue. Static/crackling noise while the platter spins. The cause is a grounding pin/flexible wire that rests against the spindle that turns in the main bearing. As it gets gummed up with old oil and dirty, the ground connection is not stable and you get the static/crackling noise.

I tore the TT apart to get at the motor and spindle. I thought I might as well change out the main bearing oil while I'm in there.

DSCF0164.jpg

When I pulled the main spindle out of the bearing, I noticed a wire/pin which rides against the spindle. Obviously, this is the ground for the spindle/platter. It was dirty and no doubt the reason why the platter crackled while it spun.

DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

I cleaned out the main bearing pit, put in fresh oil, cleaned the grounding pin and re-inserted the spindle back into the bearing. No more crackling! =D>

Solved!

I cleaned out the main bearing pit, put in fresh oil, cleaned the grounding pin and re-inserted the spindle back into the bearing. No more crackling! =D>

Hey, thank you for the time you put into posting the solve!

I did the same with mine, but crackling didn't disappear completely, for some reason. Maybe it's just worn out.

Still, better than it was!

Back
Top Bottom