stylus suggestion for shure v15 type iv

inthefade

AK Member
Its been a little while since my last thread on setting up my tone arm. After relentlessly trying to adjust the anti skate I'm convinced the stylus is wore out. This is the first big boy turntable I've owned so everything is pretty much new to me.

The JICO SAS is a little out of my reach so I'm looking for a suggestion in the $30-$50 range that people have posted are still made by JICO. Can anyone suggest a vendor/web site that's reliable?

After a bunch of searches on AK and Google my head is spinning. I've run across threads about type II and type III. One about the type iv but about the JICO SAS

Thanks in advance

Funny, I called the local vintage stereo shop today, for the exact same cart.They said they get Tonar stylus'.a waiting 2 month time at $129.CDN.Reviews look okay, but at that price , might get a Jico.I thought there was something in the under $50 range, but can't find it.

Funny, I called the local vintage stereo shop today, for the exact same cart.They said they get Tonar stylus'.a waiting 2 month time at $129.CDN.Reviews look okay, but at that price , might get a Jico.I thought there was something in the under $50 range, but can't find it.

There is. See one of the links above. It's an elliptical, probably a 0.3 x 0.7 mil. The original stylus was a hyper-elliptical and was later joined by a "Microline".

John

The after market (allegedly made by JICO) HE is still available. :thmbsp:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSV15IV.html

At just under $90 is it worth it to spend the $50 I have now on the other stylus and save more coin after the holiday to pick up the JICO SAS? I just don't have the money to spend before. My thought is buy less expensive one to use now and save for the sas. Then I could use the less expensive one for questionable vinyl or when someone brings something over.

Last edited:
I waited for years for a decent stylus to become available for my beloved Type IV. When the JICO SAS became available, I jumped on it. As far as sound quality, I have a number of carts here, including a few 'not exactly cheap' MC carts, and the Type IV with the SAS is the best sounding cart I own.

I fully understand that finances may take precedent here, but if at all possible save yer lunch money for the SAS.

Jico SAS is what I use on mine. Spend the money on it, be done, and don't look back. You won't regret it.

Say I'm able to save my lunch money (bonus would be dropping a couple lbs) which place would be a reliable source to purchase? Seems there is a wide range in price. Probably whether someone wants to wait for shipping from japan?

Does anyone have a is supplier that didn't jack prices up?

Thanks again for all the input.

I bought mine directly from JICO. Been too long for me to recall the shipping wait time, but I do not remember anything unreasonable about it.

I bought mine directly from JICO. Been too long for me to recall the shipping wait time, but I do not remember anything unreasonable about it.

How long was shipping? I wonder if I could swing it if I'd have it in time for Christmas time.

I think I had mine in about three weeks, and I bought it during the rush before the price hike several years back.

Back
Top Bottom