Rega Fono Mini A2D USA Power Supply

drspangle

Hi all

I'm in Canada for a year or two (from New Zealand) and building up a turntable system here, but I'm loathe to waste my precious $$$ so I may ask a visiting family member to bring across my Rega Fono Mini A2D (http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mini-a2d.html), with the obvious problem being the power supply. The specs page lists each territory as requiring a different wall wart, which is fine, but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells spares that will work in the continental US (just a couple of UK based ones which are no help)

Does anyone have any leads or ideas where I might find one? Ideally in the next week or so before I give the go/no-go on the amp getting put in someone's luggage.

Much appreciated!

I had a Rega Fono (North American edition) but don't have the device anymore. From the Rega site the power supply output is 24VAC at 85mA. It won't be hard to find a supply here (at least in major centers) that would give that. You will of course also need the right plug on it at the output but I don't think it's an odd one.

Also, can you check the label on the Fono supply? It might say 110-240 & 50/60 hz input to 24 v out. If it does, all you need is a physical plug adapter for the wall.

And where in Canada are you? We could offer more explicit suggestions depending on your locale.

Last edited:
I had a Rega Fono (North American edition) but don't have the device anymore. From the Rega site the power supply output is 24VAC at 85mA. It won't be hard to find a supply here (at least in major centers) that would give that. You will of course also need the right plug on it at the output but I don't think it's an odd one.

Also, can you check the label on the Fono supply? It might say 110-240 & 50/60 hz input to 24 v out. If it does, all you need is a physical plug adapter for the wall.

And where in Canada are you? We could offer more explicit suggestions depending on your locale.

I'm in vancouver. I didn't even think to check if the PSU was multivoltage, I just assumed from their documentation that they were different by region - I'll get my dad to check it tonight.

My concern are the differences in this doc (very bottom, on the right):
http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/fono-mini-a2d-instructions-english-complete.pdf

Yeah so no luck, it's 230V only:

lUZD0Vf.jpg

That means it's a Rega PS1 though. Anyone know if they can be picked up on their own and rough prices? (ie should I just buy a new phono stage?)

Thanks

Well, I know where you can get 24V power supplies in Vancouver, but if you need the whole system anyway there might be better options than bringing stuff from home. You can get basic phono preamps cheaply here or just pick up a basic amp with one built in. If you need help finding stuff send me a message and I can help direct you.

(...) It might say 110-240 & 50/60 hz input to 24 v out. (...)

Rather unlikely, 'cause simple AC wall-warts typically only contain a little tranny and a thermal fuse at best. So in practice one would rather find such input specs on a modern switched-mode power supply with DC output.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Rather unlikely, 'cause simple AC wall-warts typically only contain a little tranny and a thermal fuse at best. So in practice one would rather find such input specs on a modern switched-mode power supply with DC output.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Yes, you are right. I was thinking of DC supplies like for laptops when I typed that. Anyway, I know where he can get just what he needs only a few blocks from me.

Well, I know where you can get 24V power supplies in Vancouver, but if you need the whole system anyway there might be better options than bringing stuff from home. You can get basic phono preamps cheaply here or just pick up a basic amp with one built in. If you need help finding stuff send me a message and I can help direct you.

If I'm buying stuff here I want it to be better than what I have back home, with the plan to shipping it all back eventually :) So it will either be getting my rega working over here or ordering a Bugle2 (which has a DC transformer that works across multiple voltages). I have speakers/amp and now a tt on the way, just the last gap :)

I've sent an email to a couple of shops within a few train/bus stops/walking distance to see if they can source an official one... I'm slightly reluctant on third party ones, but it's still an option. What kind of place do you live around the block from?

I dug this up for a different rega phono stage, claiming to use the same 'PS1' Power Supply. It seems to match up with mine pictured.

PS1 UK
Input....................................................230V ~ 50Hz 0.05A
Output.....................................................24V ~ 300MA AC
PS1 EU (Euro 2 pin)
Input....................................................230V ~ 50Hz 0.05A
PS1 UL (American)
Input................................................................115V ~ 60Hz

Stupid question: since it's a straight AC transformer, the rega must handle 50 and 60hz without issue, assuming they are not making different devices for each region?

Ah, well there's the other problem. I do believe you will need a 60hz pulley.

Contact Commercial Electronics. I believe they are a Rega dealer.

Ah, well there's the other problem. I do believe you will need a 60hz pulley.

Contact Commercial Electronics. I believe they are a Rega dealer.

They don't seem to list rega but I've dropped them a note anyway. Close enough if I need to head that way :)

The phono stage has no motor, just the amp bits, I don't know enough any more about AC amplifiers to know if the AC frequency matters..

The TT is a Taya DP500 which has a switch between 110 and 240v. I can't find info on frequencies but I'm crossing fingers there as all ~240 is 50hz (except 7 of ~170 countries). Logic doesn't dictate reality though!

I made a dumb assumption that you had a Rega turntable too. Scratch that pulley comment!

The Taya is direct drive and with that switch will likely work anywhere.

I made a dumb assumption that you had a Rega turntable too. Scratch that pulley comment!

I realised that didn't explicitly say 'phono stage' anywhere in my original post, so I hold no hard feelings :)

The direct drive part was what I was (suddenly) having heart murmours about - can't just replace a pully ;)

drs: The power supply will most probably be "split", with the rectification, buffering and stabilisation/regulation being located inside the Rega.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

drs: The power supply will most probably be "split", with the rectification, buffering and stabilisation/regulation being located inside the Rega.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Good to know. As 60hz is more efficient, is it expected to get greater amplification from a given signal, or does the split circuitry deal with that?

I'm still secretly hoping to pick up a good deal tomorrow though :music:

For anyone still watching, the store Montycat suggested came back with a 100mA PSU for $50+shipping (from the Canadian Rega supplier), I replied with my photo/350mA requirements...

Dug up the manual (Taya DP-500 = Marlux MX-86 it turns out) and I can sleep easy again tonight, 110/220 and 50/60hz :)

aTjGiC0.png

Following this thread with interest. I seem to have lost the power supply for my own Rega Fono Mini A2D. I did some digging and found a Rega dealer who cold supply it, but wanted $75 for it! Way too much. So if there is a cheaper alternative, I'd love to hear it!

OK thanks all for help, it seems that 100mA is what is being provided with the fono mini a2d now, while mine clearly is running off 350.

http://www.rega.co.uk/uploads/fono-mini-a2d-instructions-english-complete.pdf

Is it likely that Rega have modified the amp to run off of different amperage, or was the one I was provided just overspec?

Bugle2 it is, before i melt something expensive.

The amp only requires 85mA according to the specs. The power supply can provide up to 100mA or, in the case of the newer one, 350mA and that should not harm anything as the phono stage won't take more than it needs.

CT: That would indeed seem expensive - so for US use I'd simply suggest to look for a Stancor STA-4124 or a Triad Magnetics WAU24-200 instead. However, as I don't know the Rega, I can't tell you, whether the 5.5/2.1 mm (outer diameter/hole) barrel plugs on these two models would already be the right type for the Rega...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

The amp only requires 85mA according to the specs. The power supply can provide up to 100mA or, in the case of the newer one, 350mA and that should not harm anything as the phono stage won't take more than it needs.

I'm reluctant. I'm sure it's fine, but why risk it when I can get a shiny new one? I'll have two turntables after all :yes: (/justification)

Back
Top Bottom