Kenwood ka-405

Hi EW, how you doing? I recently did the re-capping as the they were quite old. I first did the recapping of pre-amp and control board and connecting everything and it all sounded very well, after which I re-capped the main amp and left the main power supply caps the same. After powering on the relay clicked but after say thirty seconds I see smoke coming from area R32 & R34. I checked their value and the components around it, it all seems okay. I am not sure what is wrong, could you assist me.

Is it drawing too much current as its been re-capped and adjust Vr3 / Vr4?

Please guide me

All I can think of is to check your work...look for reversed caps, broken wires (especially on D5/D6, the bias diodes, which have rather fragile wires).

very silly of me I had not bridged properly the negative of C39 to the positive of C40, now its working, will clean up the contacts and change the wire as the old ones are very delicate. Thanks

Hi EW, the main power supply caps are 7500uf 50v can i use 15000uf 50v cap, will it sound better or leave the original power supply cap, please advice..

1. Those will be too big, certainly electrically, and probably physically as well.

2. The originals are probably three-terminal devices soldered directly to the PC board. These use an odd pin spacing that you'll not be able to match, so even if we supposed that the originals HAD to be changed because of a failure, you'll have to get fairly creative to find a way to accomplish it.

in fact lubes of the bigger capacitors fits in properly like the original ones its little taller but fits well, will the higher capitance damage the circuit if not will it sound better, thanks for your advice in this matter

Back
Top Bottom