Yamaha PC2002 Professional Power Amplifier questions

Did Yamaha ever make a 2002 without the power meters?

I have one of those big amps stashed somewhere and thought it was a 2002,
but mine doesn't have the big watt meters... :scratch2:

Guess I'll have to dig it out this weekend and see what it is. :)

Scott

Did Yamaha ever make a 2002 without the power meters?

I have one of those big amps stashed somewhere and thought it was a 2002,
but mine doesn't have the big watt meters... :scratch2:

Guess I'll have to dig it out this weekend and see what it is. :)

Scott

Yes, sorry for the confusion.. I just copy/pasted the ebay auction title to this thread... This is the PC2002M... The PC2002 is the same, without the peak reading meters.

Just got it all hooked up. PC2002M on the highs and the GFA-555 on the lows. I had to turn the Yamaha down to -12db (from full output at 00) per channel to match the bass output of the GFA-555.

It sounds pretty good, but I can't get the whole experience with only one set of woofers on the left and nothing on the right. I really need to order the foam kits.

I don't think I need two amps for the type of levels I can play at here... So I will probably just keep the Adcom.

Yamaha PC-2002M

I'd let go of the ADCOM 555 way before parting with the Yamaha PC-2002M. If I'm correct the Yamaha wasn't cheap in construction/performance and price compared to the ADCOM 555.

It is built like a tank... $2500 originally. I don't know if it is the preamp, but I didn't like it as much... and the bass was even crazier than the adcom... (the adcom was more than enough)

edit: hooked the Yamaha up again. It sounds pretty good. It's just different than the GFA-555.

Hey VI,

I've ordered the PC2002M service manual from Yamaha here in Buena Park, California about 7 miles from home. They said it would take about 2 weeks to get it from their printers. It only cost about $17 plus shipping.

Let me know if you need some info from it.

Oh, majick47, have you got any pics of that PC4002M bad boy? Maybe post in the bigass VU meter amp thread?

Bart

since this thread has been dug up already, might has well ask my question too! vint, what did you end up deciding about powering the Kappa 9s? i picked up a few amps to try out, and i want to make sure i give the Kappas a fair shot before i decide to keep the QLS1s instead.

since this thread has been dug up already, might has well ask my question too! vint, what did you end up deciding about powering the Kappa 9s? i picked up a few amps to try out, and i want to make sure i give the Kappas a fair shot before i decide to keep the QLS1s instead.

I just hooked up a second amp, and I think this is how they are going to stay. I was using the PC2002M full range before today.

Now I am using a BGW 500D on the lows and the Yamaha up top. I guess I didn't give bi-amping enough of a chance last time I tried it. This really opens the Kappas up. The bass is more effortless and the mids/highs seem more airy.

Let me know if you need some info from it.

That would be awesome! Thanks, I couldn't find any freebies anywhere, so I gave up.

Mech986: I'll be happy to split the cost of the PC2002M service manual with you just to get a copy.

Vintinfinity: Too bad you didn't get the other PC2002M way back then. For bi-amping or multi-amping, I am a firm believer that running the same amp is the only way to go. Different amps will have different slew rates and damping factors, which will result in different sound. Maybe this is not so much an issue for bi-amping a single pair of speakers.

For mutliple speakers and amps, uniformity is a must, IMO. I'm running 3 PC2002M's and have a fourth one waiting for another pair of NS-1000M's. BTW, these things are excellent value for the performance. Check out the square wave traces in the owners manual.

Yep! I think so too, I just couldn't afford it at the time.

The BGW and the Yamaha make a great team. The bass powered by the BGW is amazing with this set-up, and the mids on up have more texture and detail.
So the BGW was much cheaper than using another Yamaha for the woofers.

Last summer I inherited a PC2002M that was used at Disneyworld. Unfortunately, it is missing the A channel. Missing as in no heatsink - no PCB - no nothing! Just a big stinking hole in the side of the chassis with the two speaker leads clipped off and three connectors hanging in the air.

If somebody has a parts unit that can spare the A channel (even if its bad), please PM me!

[EDIT - finally found a parts unit and frankensteined them]

Last edited:
Last summer I inherited a PC2002M that was used at Disneyworld. Unfortunately, it is missing a channel. Missing as in no heatsink - no PCB - no nothing! Just a big stinking hole in the side of the chassis with a few clipped wires.

If somebody has a parts unit that can spare a channel (even the bad one), please PM me!

If the power supply board is working for the missing channel, which you can test at the test pins, all you'll need is the heat sink and amp boards. Note the boards are not interchangeable between A and B channels, you will not the missing channel (A or B).

I have a PC2002 (without meters) and a P-2200. I love the way they sound and I am pretty sure that the PC2002 is more powerfull (even though they rate the same).The PC2002 is deeper in size and a bit heavier as well. It seem to maintian higher volumes with large speakers and makes better bass when driving my subs.

Anyone else compare these two?

Last edited:
I never got a chance to really test out the PC2002M on the Kappas.

The foam on one of the right channel 12"s started falling off because the bass with the Adcom was so forceful. I was able to shut it down before enough foam had fallen off for anything to happen to the voice coil.

I am working on getting all the gunk off the cones and baskets and will order new foams when I can.

I can try putting the Adcom on the left channel low-pass and the Yamaha on the highs of both channels. I just got some rca to 1/4 adaptors, so I can hook it up. Maybe tomorrow.

Did you ever get a chance to try the Yamaha on the Kappa's?

Back
Top Bottom