Yamaha CR-1020 transformation (bandwidth warning!)

A revived old thread ey? All I can say is that it makes me kinda wish I hadnt just sold my CR-420...

OMG THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!
i want to learn how to do that!!
what stain or treatment did you use to give it that color and kind of finish??????????

I never get tired of seeing that veneer job... :thmbsp:

Me either. It's in my living room. (on loan from SI :D)

Ray

:D

OMG THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!
i want to learn how to do that!!
what stain or treatment did you use to give it that color and kind of finish??????????

I think it was just Watco applied to raw Rosewood. All I can say is it's even more beautiful in person and really glows after an oiling with Howard's. I guess this is as good a time as any to let Special know it's currently housing my pristine CR-2020 and the CR-1020 is going to get another re-veneered case someday.

:D

I think it was just Watco applied to raw Rosewood. All I can say is it's even more beautiful in person and really glows after an oiling with Howard's.

Watco Danish oil in neutral - about 6 coats with wet sanding in between.

I guess this is as good a time as any to let Special know it's currently housing my pristine CR-2020 and the CR-1020 is going to get another re-veneered case someday.

I looked for a 2020 for over a year that I could slide into the case. Perfectly logical IMO.

I may have enough rosewood left for another case, too!

I have always wondered what part of the tuner is that extra antenna pole looking thing on the back.
On my Sansui tuner it doesnt seem to do much.

Nice looking Yamaha though. Spotless, and from the looks of it, it seems like it was an easy breezy restoration for you.

That is a loopstick antenna for AM only. They usually have a screw slot ferrite slug in the end, tune to a low station around 600 and turn the slug for maximum reception.

someone mentioned the reveneering is therapy wellllllll i have a 3020 case thats buggered up and I charge very lil for therapy...lol

Macassar ebony requires that you either take out a second mortgage or surrender your first born, but I have some faux macassar ebony that does not look too bad. Not easy to work with and needs to be sanded and sanded to get smooth, but the end result is no bad.

Last edited:
How about this one from Hitachi.

Attachments

• hitachi reciever-sr903.jpg
    hitachi reciever-sr903.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 107
Veneer work question?

I understand this is a very old post but I'm curious what veneer work like that costs? It's beautiful! I have a CR 640 and will be possibly getting a CR 2020 and would love to have them looking this good.

This is the CR-1020 that I got about 5 weeks ago by way of an ebay purchase. the case was damaged by a careless packaging job and ejfud volunteered to see what he could do with it. I dropped the case off with Gary about 3 weeks ago, along with some South American Rosewood veneer that I purchased on the 'net.

First, a nude pic. It didn't need much cleaning, just some time brushing some gunk loose, followed by a blast of canned air and a bit of vacuuming.
nude.jpg

Next I relamped it with 5 lamps purchased from AKer Dgwojo.
relamp2.jpg

Here's the dial pointer lamp, note where I spliced it between the black tiewrap and the white wire holder thingy.
relamp4.jpg

I also adjusted the idle current for both channels. This was by far the easiest gear I've every adjusted. In the above picture, you put your meter between the yellow wire and TP0 next to it. On the other end of that board is a pot, adjust for 10mv. The other channel is identical except the wire is brown instead of yellow.

Here are some rear end shots

rear1.jpg

-
rear2.jpg

-
rear3.jpg

Finally, the Yamaha Pron view. Gary outdid himself with the veneer job, and I followed up with three coats of Watco Danish Oil.

front1.jpg

-
front2.jpg

-
front4.jpg

-
front6.jpg

-
Again, a big specialidiot special thanks to ejfud for the incredibly beautiful job he did with the case. This is a receiver to keep forever.

Reviving this thread so we can all enjoy looking at this gorgeous veneer. Wow!

Now I kinda want to veneer my CR-1020. You guys and the cool stuff you do are a bad influence! LOL

Yes, you can get the lamps from AKer dgwojo, very reasonably.

It seems this thread got resurrected somehow - I have a new shot for you guys. The 1020 shares a rack with a Yamaha B-2 and a Bottlehead pre.
rack4.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread 3 years old.....but did anyone notice what’s WRONG with pic ? Man, your Yammie’s gonna get hotter than hell with the grill covered up down below. It already runs pretty damn hot around the power supply even not covered up. All my vintage amps runs on top of the heap !

Btw, i didn’t read anything about any mods. Did youdo the heat sink/Tip41C mod ? Better do it, otherwise the board gets so toasted as to darken around the 2 crappy original heatsinks.

Also, while you’re at it , replace the 3 fusibles on the electrolytic board (and lift them above the board).

Anyways Mr OP, loosen up a little. You look silly with your posturing. Btw,, I’m done with you. Have a good life !

Back
Top Bottom