Yamaha NS2000 Surrounds

Excellent instructions DC thanks for sharing - I might add the woofer magnet is very heavy for its appearance so take care when lifting it out of the housing. The wires from the crossover cannot be removed easily as they are soldered on to the bass unit unlike in some speakers.

Thank you, and very good point about the magnet!
It's also worth pointing out that the magnet is glued on vs bolted on, which always made me scratch my head from a design perspective. I have read stories about the magnet assembly snapping off after being jolted. Imagine that horror! Sure, you could glue it back on but you'd be lucky not to damage the voice coil.

Denis is an extremely good craftsman, and by him sharing his skills with us, we as owners of 2000’s are very grateful.
It’s forums like this that are great
And with you DC PepperPot, succeeding with your re- surround and on the first go!
I have to take my hat off to you guys.
And with that, I myself feel much more confident that we might be able to make ago of it ourselves.

One thing I was going to ask was: the rubber gasket removal,what did you use?
and what was the exact amount of material we have to cut off these surrounds ?
was 5mm ?

Ah, thanks man. Three cheers for Denis, certainly.

I was lucky. My rubber gasket nearly fell out without any effort. In fact, I didn't use a tool at all, but I imagine a little plastic scraper going around the perimeter would loosen it enough for safe removal. (??)

There may be slight variations among them, but the surrounds I have measure 8.79mm on the interior portion. 5.0-5.5mm should be the goal, so a bit over 3mm trim would be the safest bet to start. I needed to trim a bit extra in places when I did mine, but I was trying to be mindful of the fact you can always trim more but not add it on once it's gone.

There is no greater satisfaction than seeing some happy people on this forum. Music can bring people together like nothing else :)

Robert, get your NS-2000s up and running. You can pry away the rubber gasket with your bare fingers. I promise there is no way they will tear, snap, be damaged in the process, etc. Those things are as sturdy as anything. Just proceed with ease and a bit of patience / caution.

Best of luck with the repair

Mike (@DCPepperPot), thanks for the detailed instructions! :thmbsp:
I'm glad you're enjoying your music again.

Let's keep helping one another and enjoying our music.
Believe in Karma. How else do you think I managed to acquire a pair of NS-2000's at the age of 25 on a student budget? :music::music::music:

very cool. i bet a lot of people did not receive this service info, which is why a lot of the NS-1000's have blown tweeters :(

very cool. i bet a lot of people did not receive this service info, which is why a lot of the NS-1000's have blown tweeters :(

Wait... what did I miss?

I did purchase a pair of NS-1000M's with blown teeters and it took forever to find a nice, original matched pair replacement. The speakers sound really good, but I am always nervous about killing the tweeters.
What is the service manual you are talking about and where can I read more about this subject.

"... I bet a lot of people did not receive this service info, which is why a lot of the NS-1000's have blown tweeters" - YES, you are right on the money

This raises a few interesting points;

How to Quote on Speaker Repairs

When a customer comes into your store with a damaged speaker, you need to be able to assess the problem and give an accurate quote. This is a quick guide to assist you.
No 1, If the customer brings in one speaker, ask them to bring the other one in because in most cases it will be damaged also. It is also best to do the same job to the other speaker to keep the sound matched. If the customer brings in HI-Fi speakers, if economical to you, ask them to bring the boxes also. The idea of this is to give the customer a free check of the other components in their boxes, this includes, drivers x-overs and wiring. You would be surprised how many people do not know that other drivers do not work in their boxes.
No2, the next step involves identifying the problems with the speakers. If the speaker has worn or damaged surrounds you need to make sure that this is not the only problem. Typically once the surround has gone, the voice coil goes off center causing it to rub and get damaged also.
Another problem is that all of the cones weight has now been put on the bottom suspension.
This causes uneven up and down movement and causes it to become too soft which can make the speaker sound slow and muddy.
Logically the best option would be to re-cone the speaker. This replaces all the moving parts with high quality modern materials which not only make the speaker like new again, it also sounds much better than new and will give many years of trouble free operation.
This also applies to blown voice coils, damaged cones and other severe damage.
No3 Now if you get Hi-Fi speaker boxes you need to assess what needs to be repaired. Check the tweeters, midranges, x-overs and wiring. In most cases if the boxes are 15 years or older they will need attention
No4 Remember most customers would love for you to repair their old speakers. People usually grow quite attached to them and will do anything to get them repaired.

Wait... what did I miss?

I did purchase a pair of NS-1000M's with blown teeters and it took forever to find a nice, original matched pair replacement. The speakers sound really good, but I am always nervous about killing the tweeters.
What is the service manual you are talking about and where can I read more about this subject.

"... I bet a lot of people did not receive this service info, which is why a lot of the NS-1000's have blown tweeters" - YES, you are right on the money

If you look at Roberts post (Brinsmead) (post #149 from 04/19/2015), you'll see that there was some sort of "Service Info E129" which was issued, calling you to modify the Network on the NS-1000(M) using a breaker and NP Cap ... you'd have to ask Robert for a scan / better scan of that manual as I have no idea where he got it from .... it could be some great help for this community obviously!

Started the clean up, foam turned to dust!

Originally the surrounds are glued into the channel and out by a few mm's

Denis Did you replace the cabinet foam gasket?

The glue they used originally was Selleys contact type

(Vintage I'm working through your job)

Last edited:
I'm not surprised the foam deteriorated. No worries.

I'm not so sure about the glue they used back then. You could consult with a local repair shop or order one from the internet. That's what I did. I am not certain as to what "foam" gasket you are referring to??? (picture please)

The only gasket the NS-2000's have is the rubber one that is placed on the outside of the surround to create a pleasing overall image :D

Last edited:
Hi Den, I'm sorry ,I haven't gotten back to you, Ive had a bad year with health.
Ive got the repairer all tied up in Melbourne AU so hopefully it will be in the first quarter of this coming year ,
I'm still in the process of cleaning all the old foam from the cone of the one speaker I haven't done.
The first one had a few scrapes of the voice coil as I was cleaning it, so I hope it will be still ok.
Merry Christmas Den, and others. I will keep you posted

Hi DenisK, I don't mean to hijack an old thread, just wondering if you can still obtain the NS2000 woofer surrounds.....I have 2 pairs of '2000s and they are all starting to fall apart. I can paypal you whatever amount you need....The factory Yamaha kits included the cones as well as new caps and glue, but are NLA of course....I tried the Viet site but no luck, Thanks in advance for any help, Don

1016753-yamaha-ns2000-speakers.jpg

Last edited:
Holly cannoli, look at those beauties...did they include an alignment tool / shim with those cone kits?

Back
Top Bottom