vintageTannoy dual concentric value

tientsdo

Does anybody know the current value of vintage Tannoy dual concentric monitors,complete with crossovers?

Black,silver,red and gold:which ones are more valuable and why?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

That's kind of a big question. What size? With or without cabinets? Which cabinets? The "colour" makes a huge difference in price with the "reds" being by far the most expensive generally. 15"s of any type are at least double the price of the 12"s, and the 12"s nearly double those of the 10"s. I got a pair of 12" Golds in Stuart cabinets (cabinets in decent useable shape, but not showpieces by any means), insides and drivers/crossovers looked near brand new, concecutive serial #'s, hangtags, for $1,000 on a local pickup. I felt that was a really good deal, but not a total steal. I would have expected to pay around $1000 plus shipping for the pair of drivers/crossovers alone on ebay and that would have been an "ok" price.

By the way you don't ever want to buy these without crossovers, unless you're really getting them at a steal. You'll end up paying nearly half again for them what you paid for the speaker if you try and get them seperately on ebay.

Caveat: I am no Tannoy expert but as I have recently acquired a pair of Golds I have been doing some reading. IIRC silvers are apparently most desirable, then reds, then golds (and I think the prices on eBay reflect that).

To wit : http://cgi.ebay.com/TANNOY-SILVER-L...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item45fb97003f

Ironically, reds followed silvers and golds followed reds in production and I believe Tannoy regarded these as successive upgrades. Have not heard Reds or Silvers but they'd have to be something special to sound better than my 15" golds in Belvedere Cabs.

Last edited:
From oldest.

Black
Silver
Early Red with orange dust caps. (same cone and crossover as the silver)
Red w/ black dust cap
Gold

That's kind of a big question. What size? With or without cabinets? Which cabinets? The "colour" makes a huge difference in price with the "reds" being by far the most expensive generally. 15"s of any type are at least double the price of the 12"s, and the 12"s nearly double those of the 10"s. I got a pair of 12" Golds in Stuart cabinets (cabinets in decent useable shape, but not showpieces by any means), insides and drivers/crossovers looked near brand new, concecutive serial #'s, hangtags, for $1,000 on a local pickup. I felt that was a really good deal, but not a total steal. I would have expected to pay around $1000 plus shipping for the pair of drivers/crossovers alone on ebay and that would have been an "ok" price.

By the way you don't ever want to buy these without crossovers, unless you're really getting them at a steal. You'll end up paying nearly half again for them what you paid for the speaker if you try and get them seperately on ebay.

Thank you gentlemen

I found some 12"reds at a thrift.Sold them before I really had a chance to see what they are really about.Never did find out if they are really worth the money they command.

Pair of Lancaster cabinets complete with 15" gold monitors with crossovers

Pair of Lancaster cabinets complete with 15" gold monitors with crossovers

Well if you own them, then hang on to them! From my limited (read "very limited") knowledge you have pretty much the most desireable combination, driver colour aside: 15" drivers in Lancaster cabinets. Not sure what the market value is, but definitely more than I paid for my 12" Golds in Stuart cabs ;)

Well if you own them, then hang on to them! From my limited (read "very limited") knowledge you have pretty much the most desireable combination, driver colour aside: 15" drivers in Lancaster cabinets. Not sure what the market value is, but definitely more than I paid for my 12" Golds in Stuart cabs ;)

Thank you sir.

I recently acquired a pair of Gold 8's. Would these These Tannoy's be better suited in a custom cabinets?:scratch2:

Bump, any idea of the difference in value of the orange dust cap reds to the black dust cap reds?

No value difference. AFAIK, just a running change. Some people on ebay and other sites liked to point at the orange and go ooooh, but no difference in sound value. Can't rmember the source that gave me that tidbit of knowledge.
I have had a pair of 15" reds in Barzilay cabs for a couple of years now. I like them. Are they worth the $6-7k they get for a pair on ebay? I don't know. Haven't heard a pair of new $6-7K speakers lately.
If you own them, enjoy them.:thmbsp:

From oldest.

Black
Silver
Early Red with orange dust caps. (same cone and crossover as the silver)
Red w/ black dust cap
Gold

Then the HPDs, which were the final Alnico series. Next up were the K series, ceramic magnets, "squared" basket.

resurrecting an old thread here because there is a pair of the old, orange dustcap 10" reds for sale near me.
one of the driver baskets has a dent though, is that a sign to steer clear of these or the only way to find out if it damaged them is to go listen?Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 12.28.32 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom