Issue with purchase...

centexguy99

Grumpy Old Hermit
I recently purchased an amp on eBay. I waffled a bit before bidding because the shipping was so high. I checked the listing for multiple options and the only shipping offered was Priority Mail. After thinking about it for a bit I decided that 8 hours crossing the country in a plane was less likely to cause damage than 5 days and 3000 miles in the back of a truck so I went ahead and placed my bid with a sniping service. I won the auction (at exactly my maximum bid...) and this week they finally shipped it out. When the tracking number arrived they have shipped by Fedex Ground. Not what they advertised and not what I paid for. Any thoughts? Is this deserving of negative feedback?

Is this an issue you can address with the bay? Charging for high priced shipping and then grounding it out? Sounds like not as described to me.

I would say its worth a mention in there feedback if nothing else but to make other people aware of the service they may get from the seller. Hope your item arrives safely to you.

I had this problem once and threaten to leave negitive feedback....the seller refunded the shipping cost that was not used.

I had this problem once and threaten to leave negitive feedback....the seller refunded the shipping cost that was not used.

FYI. eBay frowns on buyers threatening sellers with negative feedback. If you use eBays messaging and threaten negative feedback the seller can use that to get the negative feedback removed is some cases.

I know from experience.

How about waiting until the package arrives, then check the condition, then decide whether to contact the seller. FedEx is not typically cheaper especially if the box dimensions cause the weight adjustment to increase the shipping cost.

If you paid for air shipment and got ground shipment I'd do a bit of pricing research. If it's a material difference I'd sure push for refund of the difference.

I presume you have a copy of the ad that shows the shipping terms. Or, if there was a different agreement, you have confirmation it was agreed before you won the item?

I believe when you create a listing Priority Mail pops up first as default. Maybe seller just didn't pay attention having FEDEX in mind.But nevertheless.....wait until it arrives, check what was the cost of FEDEX shipping compared with what you paid and contact the seller for the refund if there is a difference.
Just be careful: no threats of a neg feedback....

If it arrives undamaged and as described I would just drop the issue. Most likely refund would not be worth the hassle.

I had the opposite "problem" a few months ago.
I purchased a large heavy receiver, paid what was a not cheap (but priced right IMO) shipping fee for economy shipping halfway across the USA.
The package arrived on my door step two days later, the seller had sent it priority.

I still wonder if I *should* have sent him more money for the upgraded shipping.

First, please make sure it was the seller and not FedEx that made the change. The seller should have the paperwork specifying air shipment. Ebay always wants you to start with messages before you go formal with your complaint.

I would wait to see how long it takes. Fedex Ground may just the the last leg of the trip. I've had items come from China which had USPS shipping labels when they arrived. I know China doesn't have a USPS office locally. Contact the seller via ebay and ask what's up. If he made a "mistake" ask for a refund of the additional cost. I wouldn't let it go. Without any cost to him there's no reason not to do it again.

Open up a dispute with the seller,asking for a refund of the excessive postage cost upon a photo/scan of the receipt. This kinda thing happens far too much with greedy sellers. Sadly,quite often they add in their Ebay listing + PayPal fees on the buyers postage.

I wouldn't worry about it, if the amp came undamamged, and as someone who manages a UPS Store Franchise, the quoted rates that eBay has negotiated directly with UPS are far lower than UPS Retail rates, which we are bound by contract to charge.

I recently sold a pair of woofers on ebay. I listed fedex as the shipping method (I usually use Fedex for bigger/heavier items). The buyer contacted me and said he thought I could ship them cheaper via Usps. I said I didn't think so but I would check. Sure enough I shipped them for 6 dollars cheaper with Usps. I refunded the buyer 6 bucks and he was a happy guy. This wasnt a big deal for me and changed what could have been neutral or negative feedback to very positive feedback

Funny but I remember when eBay started to charge Final fees from the selling price+shipping they mentioned "fighting" an excessive shipping charges by doing this.
Go figure....

I believe when you create a listing Priority Mail pops up first as default. Maybe seller just didn't pay attention having FEDEX in mind.But nevertheless.....wait until it arrives, check what was the cost of FEDEX shipping compared with what you paid and contact the seller for the refund if there is a difference.
Just be careful: no threats of a neg feedback....

You can't check the cost if it's not printed on the label, which it won't be if the seller has a FedEx account. It gets charged back to his account direct and he doesn't even see it until after the fact.

First, please make sure it was the seller and not FedEx that made the change. The seller should have the paperwork specifying air shipment. Ebay always wants you to start with messages before you go formal with your complaint.

OP said the pkg went FedEx Ground. FedEx Express was never mentioned, it was USPS Priority Mail. Which I can guarantee would be more for a heavy amp than FedEx Ground.

I wouldn't worry about it, if the amp came undamamged, and as someone who manages a UPS Store Franchise, the quoted rates that eBay has negotiated directly with UPS are far lower than UPS Retail rates, which we are bound by contract to charge.

UPS never figured into it either. :D

In my opinion if it's an honest mistake, they owe you a refund of any difference. If it's an intentional money grab, they owe you a refund of any difference.

Back
Top Bottom