subscribe to stereophile?

I do this off and on. I subscribe because of a steep discount offer. I read each issue, with mesmerizingly similar ads for stupidly expensive products I would never buy. But what the heck; stereophile in the mail, grab a beer, put on a record, and check it out. When the subscription runs out, I never renew; why am I wasting time and money, I tell myself. For months I get letters begging me to subscribe.

Then one catches me in the right mood. This time its 14 bucks for two years, 91% off the cover price, and they are throwing in "stereophile ear buds." I think I am going to cave in again.

Why not???

I have learned more from Stereophile than any audio mag. I have ever had. I have been subscribing to audio mags, way before there was any interest in audio. My first was Hi-Fi Stereo Review way back in the 70's. Then it was High Fidelity(or maybe it was first, I don't remember). Then Audio. Now S'phile and TAS and Sound & Vision all help me muddle through the deep world of audio.

The stupendous article that Stereophile had a few years back about turntable/tonearm/cartridge alignment titled Arc Angles was a real turning point in my 55 year quest of LP playing and alignment. It made the biggest difference in my LP world ever.
It, to me, is the best explanation of the issue. It covered many alignment issues never uttered in a magazine before. Many issues never uttered by turntable/tonearm/cartridge manufacturers before either. I refer to it constantly.

I may lose interest in high end audio with TAS but there is always something interesting about a unique feature of a high end piece that sounds interesting and could be a new project to look into for me.
Sound and Vision always has stuff from bottom to top and again something of interest always catches me.

I think our audio world would be a more barren place without AK and these publications.

Paul

I'd pay $14 for two years. Where do I sign up?

In the 80's I used to read a lot of audio mags but the internet has pretty much killed that.

I am currrently subscribing again, for the same price (rate) mentioned in the OP. For 7 bucks a year, it is a fine way to keep at least somewhat abreast of the hobby.

EDIT: "currrently subscribing again" - jeepers, my Jr. High English/grammar (not to mention spelling) teachers'll be spinnin' in their graves (if they're dead - which some of them probably are by now...)

Last edited:
Daughter gifted me with a subscription...

Sure do wish there was more and more varied adverts in there - love to window-shop. As for the articles - after 3 issues filled with DACs... I'm hoping there's more to it. So far - underwhelming.

I think the magazine would profit from having a hobbyist/diy section (or maybe there's something, and I just didn't see it).

Daughter gifted me with a subscription...

Sure do wish there was more and more varied adverts in there - love to window-shop. As for the articles - after 3 issues filled with DACs... I'm hoping there's more to it. So far - underwhelming.

I think the magazine would profit from having a hobbyist/diy section (or maybe there's something, and I just didn't see it).

What three issues are those? I subscribe and have no idea what you are talking about. Just received my new copy yesterday...let's see...headphones on the cover, Stirling Broadcast speakers, Art Dudley refurbishing a Thorens deck, Fremer on the Lyra Etna cartridge, Yamaha multi channel pre/pro and amp...are you sure you are talking about Stereophile? I see DAC's and so much more...

I like the music reviews in the back.

Me too.

I too subscribe to Stereophile, also to UHF.
I know I can't afford most of what they're talking about, but it keep me interested, and gives me infos on the latest.

Subscribed on and off as my interest in the hobby waxes and wanes.

'Makes for good reading while soaking the muscles after snow removal :)

To Stereophile's credit, their test reports are heavy on both the subjective and the objective. Maybe not quite the equal of the long-gone Audio in terms of the latter, but not bad for 2014... not bad at all.

TAS is now offering a digital subscription for $12/yr, compared to the print price of $35-40/yr.

If a magazine turns you on to just one outstanding recording you would otherwise have missed, or one inexpensive tweak or component, it's more than worth it IMHO.

Several years ago I realized that AK gave me more enjoyment and more useful information than any print audio magazine including Stereophile. The money that I used to spend on magazines now goes to an annual AK subscription, and the occasional subscription offers from the print mags go straight into the circular file.

I probably should get the darned subscription as I end up buying almost every copy at a newsstand. Art's description fits me as well. Lots of information, even about formats/price ranges I wouldn't ever be looking into, and great music reviews that have more than once steered me toward purchases.

I have a subscription, and love it when it comes each month, but I probably read about 10% of it. For whatever reason I prefer the UK publications, but a single issue here costs about as much as a subscription to a US mag.

Back
Top Bottom