LIVESTRONG's Music Room - A Journey

I've just completed reading this thread and all I can say is that I'm speechless! :jawdrop:

I'll never be able to call myself an audiophile again after reading about your journey. :lmao:

:thmbsp:

Congrats Livestrong and it was a nice journey. But some place back in my mind, I'm thinking one day those 890.2's are going to be sitting in that spot:yes: oh yeah! Enjoy my friend and keep in touch!

Wow Dude! You went nuts in past few months! :D :yes:

I have lusted after the Pro-Ject Xtension 10 since I saw and listened to one at my dealer's home. It was more than I could afford at the time and I ended up with the Concept for now. That one is on my future upgrade list. Your room looks awesome!!!

I'm real curious what you think of the Pro-ject 10 xtension? It is on my short list to acquire. If it sounds half as good as it looks I would be sold. I like it partically because it looks like a turntable should look...

I should show this thread to my wife, it could buy me some peace & quiet for awhile! A very impressive system & you have documented your evolution perfectly. I can only hope that you are happy now & can sit back and enjoy the music.

I haven't posted in awhile as things have been a bit crazy! We had a rather unexpected move come up which has caused me to sell off most of my setup. I took a quick video of it so that I had more than just pictures to remember it by :D I can't wait until I'm able to get another rig setup!

Until then…

The system: McIntosh MAC6700 integrated | Cambridge Audio Azur 840c CDP/DAC | Pro-Ject Xtension 10 turntable | Shelter 501 MKII cart | Tannoy Definition DC10 T speakers | Logitech Squeezebox Touch

The quick video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkVGIUpq2Y&list=UUCImKYxPMqUkfIiXe6nlI3g

Last edited:
I haven't posted in awhile as things have been a bit crazy! We had a rather unexpected move come up which has caused me to sell off most of my setup. I took a quick video of it so that I had more than just pictures to remember it by :D I can't wait until I'm able to get another rig setup!

Until then…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANkV...qUkfIiXe6nlI3g

As my good friend says: "what the...."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed reading this thread. What a journey. I hope all is well and that you start a new audio journey very soon.

Btw, the video link is not working.

McBru6177 - I think I fixed the link.

Thanks, all - it has been an incredibly fun journey and I can't wait to continue on it. My next setup will have to be done on a much lower budget which I think will actually be a lot of fun to put together. I have a pretty good idea of what I might go after and will continue to update that here.

AudioSoul - I like different parts of all of my setups so it is tough and somewhat unfair to pick the system I like(d) best. The Tannoy DC10T's are incredible speakers and for pure 2 channel, I'd highly recommend! My heart is still very much in love with Canton - I hope to own another pair someday. And while I absolutely love my McIntosh integrated, Vincent Audio offers some wicked bang for your buck performance!

9CE93269-4BE9-4159-869B-648225C48967_zps5ulhvelz.jpg

This is a serious setup!... wow blown away.

Josh, I really hate to see you had to sell your system. Man, you take "a work in progress" to heights the rest of us could only dream about. However, you have a lot of fans here backing your moves and waiting anxiously on the next chapter. Was this a must move for you and your family. Apologies if this comes across as being nosey.

The ride you have allowed us to follow, I have to ask you, will you be happy downsizing your audio system. I have known people, and a relative, who could not. It was detrimental for the relative to maintain the status they were accustomed to.

So, during this time have you put together a game plan for the next chapter? I will be watching along with AK to see what you put together. I believe I read that you kept some of the gear you sold. Will they play a role in the new system?

As the announcer used to say... Same Bat time, same Bat channel! :music:

This is a serious setup!... wow blown away.
I've taken inspiration from systems like yours :)
Josh, I really hate to see you had to sell your system. Man, you take "a work in progress" to heights the rest of us could only dream about. However, you have a lot of fans here backing your moves and waiting anxiously on the next chapter. Was this a must move for you and your family. Apologies if this comes across as being nosey.

The ride you have allowed us to follow, I have to ask you, will you be happy downsizing your audio system. I have known people, and a relative, who could not. It was detrimental for the relative to maintain the status they were accustomed to.

So, during this time have you put together a game plan for the next chapter? I will be watching along with AK to see what you put together. I believe I read that you kept some of the gear you sold. Will they play a role in the new system?

As the announcer used to say... Same Bat time, same Bat channel! :music:
Thanks for your kind words - I love this forum and dudes like you are what make this hobby so much fun!

Everything is great with me and the family - we weren't planning on moving for several years, but things sort of fell into place. Our new place will be a great home for our kids to grow up in and it is in a school district that we like. So if I have to take a step "back" in my audio journey to make that happen, I'm happy to do that! Family first :D

Building a system is a lot of fun - I will enjoy doing it…and I don't really believe I'll be going "back" but rather, still moving forward :thmbsp: We have until October before we move into our new home…until then we're living with my mother-in-law so I'm living vicariously through you all :) I'll post some thoughts about what I'm thinking for my next rig soon.

Chapter 15: Life Happens

Well, it has been far too long since my last update. Where we left off, my system seemed near nirvana - then life happened and a unexpected move for my family came up (all good things). In order to fund the move, I had to sell off my gear. It was tough at the time, but it's only stuff - family first :) Here is a quick video I shot before the system got dismantled: YouTube: JD’s Music Room Tour

Fast forward a few months and a couple of moves and we're in our new home. I started rebuilding around a couple pieces I had left from the sell/tradeoff. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated space in the new place (at least not yet) so this is what I started with. I picked up a Rega Brio-R integrated amp and paired it with my old (didn't sell) Music Hall MMF-11 w/ Dynavector 10x5 and Tannoy Precision 6.4 speakers (I took them back in on trade from the guy that originally bought them from me).

B190E272-7D4B-4854-AED9-25BAD8837BF4_zpsej9tf4pm.jpg

It didn't take long for me to realize that this room wasn't going to work - with 11' ceilings and open to the back and side, it was a massive space to fill. So I made the move up to our bonus room - still not ideal being on a bouncy upstairs floor and sharing the space with the TV. The Rega Brio-R didn't last very long before I traded it to a local enthusiast that was looking to downgrade. In the trade, I acquired a Cayin H80A hybrid integrated amp and Marantz TT-15S1 turntable.

096B7182-A458-43BE-A371-D189DBEDBCB2_zpsmql0jx02.jpg

E12BBCEA-389C-41CE-B9FA-AF3F8F4873FA_zpsqzmvh9oj.jpg

2860DE6A-A055-4DBC-82F8-9BDE73113B3F_zpsafb58v6t.jpg

Things were sounding MUCH better now - the Tannoy's fit nicely in the new room and the Cayin was a HUGE surprise. Yes it is big, but that's not what I mean - this is a fantastic piece. The German designed hybrid tube/solid state puts out 80W of Pure Class A goodness - it reminded me of the Vincent I used to have which is a very good thing! As for the Marantz TT-15S1 - I think it represents a great value at the $1500 price point since it includes the $900 Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony wood MM cartridge. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was very happy to have it in my system - it didn't disappoint, especially at the price.

D2D2884A-B567-4A3F-9AEA-BBDD70A699D5_zps8qve9cbk.jpg

Chapter 16: Déjà vu!

Well, by this time, the Music Hall turntable found its way to a new home (and a great home at that) as did the Tannoy’s so it was time to put some of that money to good use :) Enter the Tannoy Definition DC10T’s…yep, AGAIN…:D

B4F20FDA-3D68-4559-BCE7-051260694D34_zpsnlqwumbc.jpg

You’ll also see a Vincent SV-236MK in the picture…yep, AGAIN…:D The guy that purchased my ‘little’ Tannoy’s was looking for some help finding a good amp for them – so I helped him find the Vincent and got to play with it for a day. Here’s a shot of what the room looked like from the back corner…

653C7FDB-E83D-4625-BEC8-192CC2C8E883_zps3te7czkj.jpg

And if that isn’t enough Déjà vu for you, I picked up a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers…yep, AGAIN…:D This time around, I bought them for a local guy I had been trying to help find the right pair of speakers for his upgrade – unfortunately his wife didn’t like the looks of them. Oh, well – I was able to find a new home for them without trying too hard since they are such a special pair of speakers – they produce one of the best soundstages that I’ve heard!

7B2F7AB1-88AD-49EA-A909-1E1F7BBD5F71_zpsvqpzpcyf.jpg

What’s next? I started playing with some new gear – an iFi Micro iPhono made its way into my system and what a great piece it is. For $400 it gets my no-brainer vote for phono preamp under $500. iFi has got it going on! I’ll expand on iFi in the next chapter.

A8F520CF-DB85-45CC-AAB7-2A14F1F709D2_zpswtjuolu0.jpg

Chapter 17: Let’s get digital, digital…

I have been wanting to get more into digital for a while now. I had a local guy build me a Mac Mini specifically to use for music, but it just sat there for a number of months. Until I started reading a thread that Slippers_on started about “Going Digital” with the help of some iFi products. So I decided to finally bite the bullet and jump in. I first picked up the iFi Micro iDSD and quickly after that I followed up with getting the iFi Micro iUSB Power, iFi Gemini cable and iFi iRack. I was so impressed immediately by the sound I was hearing that I knew the iFi stuff was here to stay.

9212A6B8-332A-4777-9269-24608C057CD6_zpsyxf1acuo.jpg

My only disappointment was the iRack – it looked cool, but was far too light/flimsy for integration into my 2 channel rig. So I decided to box all of the iFi goodies up and send them out to Audiophile Vibration Control where Mike spent a few weeks designing, redesigning, prototyping, rebuilding, and eventually coming up with what I think is the perfect rack for the iFi gear! If you’re considering getting any of the iFi gear (and I recommend that you do) be sure to check out the AVC IRACK – it is available in 4 different colors and you can get it built with 1, 2, 3, or 4 shelves. The improvements over the iFi iRack are substantial – I absolutely love it! I’m calling the iFi Micro iDSD / iUSB Power combo the “iDSD Stack”

iDSD Stack, meet AVC's IRACK...
67AB50ED-07C1-4C31-8F54-5463AEEBA9D8_zpskjsqsady.jpg

A5D4B6F0-E149-4258-9092-BE55975BC90C_zpsv6pyubjo.jpg

A0594B3D-7BD5-40C7-BDB5-ED6190F1CA69_zpsgjhzncqf.jpg

And just in case you have more to stack I think he'll have an option for that...
620AE44B-B52C-4539-BFD1-EC1F1229FFC7_zps5ls6nhrr.jpg

Available colors…
iFi%20IRACK%20multi%20color_zpsygj90jxr.jpg

I have been playing around with both the Mac Mini (Late 2009 w/ 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD) connected directly to an external 3TB drive and MacBook Air (4GB RAM and 128GB SSD) connected to a networked 4TB drive. While I like the Mac Mini/external HD stack, I prefer the flexibility the MacBook Air gives me – simply unplug it and I can use it for other non-music duties. Plus it has the added benefit of having a screen and track pad built in if I need it. I’m also running JRiver and plan to get the JRiver Remote app for my iPhone once I get things settled a bit.

Back
Top Bottom