JBL 4310 torn woofer FIX or REPLACE?

iceymike

Hi all,

My buddy just scored a pair of JBL 4310 Control Monitors yesterday for $40. He has a pair of 4312's and said these are mine if I want them. (What a guy!)

One of the woofers is torn. I don't know much about speakers. Is this repairable or should I find a replacement? We will have a chance later this week to test them out. This may not be the only issue. Your guidence is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

IMG_3897.jpg

so theres one 4310 and one 4312?

He said that his friend has a pair of 4312's and also just scored the 4310s, I think the picture is just to compare.

One of the woofers is torn. I don't know much about speakers. Is this repairable or should I find a replacement?
Check out this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7929262

The cone can be repaired and I've seen much worse damage than yours repaired successfully. Part of it comes down to if you are okay with using a woofer that has a battle scar or not.

This is a comparison/check out the damage pic my buddy sent me.

Chris, I don't mind a battle scar as long as it doesn't effect the sound. If repaired successfully will it effect the sound quality or create other issues down the line?

Thanks for your input. The repair videos I found make it look pretty easy with a little glue and a piece of paper towel.

Mike

If repaired successfully will it effect the sound quality or create other issues down the line?

Hard to say, but if it's just cone damage, the difference should be minimal if any. The only thing I might worry about is if anything else was damaged in the impact. Be sure to take the woofers out of the cabinets and check if the spider (wavy cloth material connected to bottom of cone) is torn or detatched.

Defo can be repaired, being white I reckon with some care you could do a very neat and hardly noticeable repair on that. Tissue paper and watered down pva will do the trick.

I'll post a pic when the job is done. I may have a few more questions if other issues surface. Thanks again,

Mike

The undamaged speaker works great. We won't have a chance to do the repair until next week though. I am going to put these guys in my music/practice room. I'm looking for a receiver. Do you think these would pair well with a Marantz 2230? There is a Sony TA-1150 and Sony TA 1130 available here locally. I'm trying to get away with a decent receiver for under $200. I have a Pioneer 737 up stairs and want a better set up for my basement studio.

Thanks for your input,
Mike

Last edited:
Defo can be repaired, being white I reckon with some care you could do a very neat and hardly noticeable repair on that. Tissue paper and watered down pva will do the trick.

what is PVA? ...and tissue paper like the stuff used to wrap gifts?

fixable. Easy.

Use a coffee filter instead of toilet paper, a little stronger in my experience.

Good luck.

oh, use aleenes tacky glue.

I second the recommendation of the coffee filter. Inexpensive, durable, and strong. PVA is poly-vinyl-alcohol. Thinning out some Aileen's Tacky Glue with a bit of water does a really good job bonding the filter to the cone.

fixable. Easy.

Use a coffee filter instead of toilet paper, a little stronger in my experience.

Good luck.

oh, use aleenes tacky glue.

I usually use tissue paper from the gift wrapping aisle. As a bonus, it can be sourced in grey and black to make most repairs even more invisible. I'd get some white tissue paper and patch this one from the back. One layer extending 1/2" to 3/4" on either side of the tear, another somewhat narrower for added reinforcement. Buy some cheap artist/modelmaker's paint brushes to apply the glue.

Back
Top Bottom