CR-2040 doesn't like to be touched

YoPacific

When I touch the tuning knob the powers meters go completely flat. When I release they come back to life.......

Ground issue?

Hello !

Ground issue?

Of course no !

Read your owner's manual page 6

"the right hand meter also doubles as the signal strength and quality meter (switching over to this function when the tuning knob is touched) . It can also be switched to read signal quality permanently"

:yes:

Double duty bro. With an Antenna hooked up the right meter should display signal strength.

Last edited:
I used to have a girlfriend like that. She preferred if I warmed my hands up first.

Well thats good news....

Well Im ashamed to say I do have the og manual. I havn't seen a receiver do this before but I do see the logic......quite cool actually.

Yes, it is freaky the first time you see it.....

Thanks for the heads up...

Hello !

Ground issue?

Of course no !

Read your owner's manual page 6

"the right hand meter also doubles as the signal strength and quality meter (switching over to this function when the tuning knob is touched) . It can also be switched to read signal quality permanently"

:yes:
How prosaic...

I prefer the OP's hypothesis that the "CR-2040 doesn't like to be touched" :no:

I touched my CR-3020 tonight and I think it moved a little.

Pleasantly surprised that after sitting for quite some time now, it had zero issues. Not a smidgen of crackles or anything. That damn tuner picks up so much better than almost any other tuner here too. With just a cheezy old tv rabbit ears dipole hanging from the rafter in the basement and the others are on a 2nd story omni.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with your 2040. What you are describing is perfectly normal with the 2040. While using AUX, Tape, or Phono, the meters will go flat when you touch the tuning knob. Turn the input to Tuner and then touch the knob. Both meters will drop to zero, but when you tune in a station, the right meter will come back up. It just shows the signal strength. If you look at the writing on the front of the receiver above the right power meter, it will say "signal strength" in small letters. It is kind of like a fine tuning to help you get the strongest signal strength for your radio station. Again, this is perfectly normal operation for the 2040. I have one and it does the exact same thing. Just play around with it and you will appreciate the little things that Yamaha incorporated into this fine receiver to set it apart from its peers.

Back
Top Bottom