This ain't no picnic...
Subscriber
Can I keep him?

7989894914_6b41fd7360_b.jpg

7989894826_526c528c64_b.jpg

7989894686_95ca74f3ef_b.jpg

7989887269_9f97f07271_b.jpg

-D

While I'm fine with rebuilding the receiver, I'll probably need some guru guidance with regard to the Garrard. Also, I'm wondering if I can put a more modern cartridge on it.

-D

Thats a GE VR-II cart on there. One of the better early mono carts made actually. Its moving magnet too, so you should be set if you want to change it to something else. The VR2 is fine for mono, but it'll shred stereo records. It would probably be excellent as a 78 cartridge though. Its standard 1/2" mount, but its rather heavy and that changer (RC-210??) will probably want at least 5 grams tracking weight. If you fit say a Stanton 400 or 500 to it and wire it for mono operation, it should be good to go. Possibly you'll need a headshell weight but thats easy enough to get. The only reason I'd keep that changer is originality. You can do significantly better, even with a slightly later Garrard. An AT6 would be a nice upgrade.

Thats a GE VR-II cart on there. One of the better early mono carts made actually. Its moving magnet too, so you should be set if you want to change it to something else. The VR2 is fine for mono, but it'll shred stereo records. It would probably be excellent as a 78 cartridge though. Its standard 1/2" mount, but its rather heavy and that changer (RC-210??) will probably want at least 5 grams tracking weight. If you fit say a Stanton 400 or 500 to it and wire it for mono operation, it should be good to go. Possibly you'll need a headshell weight but thats easy enough to get. The only reason I'd keep that changer is originality. You can do significantly better, even with a slightly later Garrard. An AT6 would be a nice upgrade.

For early mono LPs and 78s, that Garrard/GE combo will be just fine. Styli are readily available.

Oh, but I predict w/reasonable certainty it won't STAY "Inoperable" for very long...THAT Bad Boi set somebody back a fair amount of shekels back in the day...And its Too Purty NOT to be able to sing like its sposed to...

That console is in amazing shape. I like how good the lettering in the wood looks. Is it sacrilege to update the turntable?

As a temporary measure until I get the R20 rebuilt, I'm driving the cabinet with 1/2 of a Fisher 460A (one OPT is fried). While not the optimal amp for the speakers, it's pretty damn close and sounds great playing The Beatles from my ZuneHD. I can't wait for this console to be restored.

-D

Back
Top Bottom