1958 Fisher C800 Console

Craterranch

No questions this time, just a nice restored unit. This has become my main music-listening device in my home, and it's just fantastic. Sound is incredible. Pictures and video here.

Very, very cool. Love that mahogany finish - just like my '59 C-810. The condition of yours appears to be immaculate except for that little pull in the grill cloth. It's close enough to the edge that you might be able to reposition it so that the blemish is at least partially hidden. My grill cloth had about 2 to 3 inches of overhang which might be enough.

I had a lot of fun trying to get a stain out of mine. Fisher used a good quality fabric. It withstood several rounds of hand washing with increasingly aggressive chemicals. I was eventually able to remove the stain with only minor fading.

Do you know any of your Fisher's history? Somebody evidently took good care of that one. Either that or you've done an amazing restoration.

TheRed1: I don't know it's history but it was certainly well-kept. The grille cloth was very stained, though, and I eventually had to remove it from the board and clean it vigorously which is how it got the rip. I wish it had a more rigid grille; I live in fear that someone will kick through it and the big woofer.

WOW! :tresbon:

So far, that is the best looking Fisher console that I have ever seen considering it's age. It is in "excellent" condition, on a scale of 1 to 10, I rank it a 9.5! :thmbsp: It appears as though it was worth every cent on getting that one.:yes:

Thanks for posting and sharing and really like the pictures and video as well. :D

EDIT** Did a quick search on CL and found this (no way affiliated with this add) there are two of Fisher console's and one appears to be just like the model of the one that you posted:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/3231232975.html

Last edited:
Looks great! Love the fact that everything is working like new, even the record changer. Wonderful pictures and video too.

Actually, I was going to pass on it at first; already have so many projects in the basement. But it stuck in my mind so I called the guy and left a message. He called me back when we were in the hospital waiting to go in for my wife's C-section. I told him I had something going on at the moment, but that I was seriously interested. Picked it up the next day and brought home another radio before bringing home another baby!

With your R-20's serial number being in the low 10K range, I suspect your Contemporary might well be a '57 model. The only possible difference between the '57 and '58 C-800s might be the phono cartridge. Some of the advertising for the '58 model mentions a dual magnetic cartridge - unlike the '57s. I don't know how reliable an indicator that is, though, since that would be an easy item to upgrade.

Did you happen to note the production code stamped on the back side of the speaker baskets? It should be a six-digit number beginning with 220. The last three digits are the last digit of the year and the week of production, in that order. That information can help pin down the model year.

Contemporary fans may be interested in the following ad copy. Fisher took a decidedly different approach to the promotion of this model. He seems to have been targeting a younger, hipper and even - dare I say - price conscious demographic. These ads represent a major departure from Mr. Fisher's normally stylish but consistently conservative, decidedly high-toned appeal:

1957 Fisher Catalog

THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY, as the name implies, was created and engineered for the modern home -- true to the FISHER tradition for quality. The CONTEMPORARY incorporates the most advanced high fidelity components, for which FISHER is famous, integrated in a full size, functionally designed, tambour-door radio-phonograph console. Outstanding in concept and performance, The CONTEMPORARY is also moderately-priced.

May 1957 Newspaper Ad

It’s the “Contemporary” with modern Tambour Styling

At only $399.50 - Mahogany or walnut finish

Here is an instrument to delight the eye and ear. Fisher styled and Fisher engineered, the Contemporary -- a superb High Fidelity FM-AM Radio-Phonograph Combination . . .

Sept. 1957 Newspaper Ad

Why do they call this “The Decorator’s Hi-Fi”?

Just look at the stunning tambour-door console! Clean, smartly contoured, exquisitely proportioned . . . little wonder it has become a favorite with decorators! Especially now that it’s available in hand-finished Teak and Cherry as well as Mahogany and Walnut.

Oct. 1957 Newspaper Ad

NEW . . . and in the modern mode!

THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY HIGH FIDELITY RADIO-PHONOGRAPH $429.50

Here is the luxury of FISHER high fidelity, true to its twenty-year tradition of quality -- in a decorative, tambour-door console! It is contemporary in the truest sense, and it is moderately priced.

Dec. 1957 Newspaper Ad

THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY is a home music center from which the entire family derives both pride and pleasure. Pride -- in its attractive, tambour-door design. Pleasure -- in the breathtaking capabilities of its music reproducing system.

1958 Fisher Catalog

THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY offers a unique combination of brilliant high fidelity engineering and graceful modern styling. It is the ideal console for those who seek high quality at moderate cost. This powerful instrument is capable of reproducing music without distortion --whether at a whisper or at full auditorium levels. An attractive, tambour-door cabinet in Walnut, Mahogany, Teak or Cherry finish adds to the handsome appearance of the CONTEMPORARY.

March 1958 Newspaper Ad

Today, and in the years to come, THE FISHER Contemporary will be a boundless source of pleasure for your entire family. Every note, every nuance of the composer’s intention is faithfully reproduced -- serving to build the deep, meaningful understanding that makes music a living treasure. Designed with the grace of tambour-door styling, consoles are available in walnut, cherry, mahogany or teak.

Dec. 1958 Newspaper Ad

Magnificient Stereo . . . Superb Cabinetry!

. . . premium features of THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY II Stereophonic Radio-Phonograph

Years of musical enjoyment and pride of ownership -- these await you in THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY II. Its hand-crafted and hand-finished console, its professional features -- each is ideally matched to bring you music with all the color, depth and texture of the original performance! You can enjoy incomparable stereo reproduction whenever you wish, by adding the STEREO COMPANION. The CONTEMPORARY II is available in Mahogany, Walnut, Cherry or Teak. In mahogany, $479.50

1959 Fisher Catalog

THE FISHER CONTEMPORARY II offers a unique combination of brilliant high fidelity engineering and graceful, modern styling. It is the ideal console for those who seek high quality at moderate cost. This powerful instrument is capable of reproducing all types of music without distortion -- wheather at a whisper or at full auditorium levels. Its dual-controls permit its use with THE FISHER STEREO COMPANION. Tambour-door cabinet in Walnut, Mahogany, Teak or Cherry.

Last edited:
TheRed1: I've also seen this console sold with a Garrard RC121/MkII instead of the 4D in mine, which might be an age indicator as well. Some of them also used different knobs (see the one in the Craigslist ad reference by someone else, above). I can't see the speaker code in my "before" pictures and the last thing I want to do is undo all of those screws again to look, but agree that this could be a '57.

Although the sales literature speaks to a younger audience, I don't think the 400+ dollar price tag would have appealed to the price-conscious. Incidentally, and I know this will make some Fisher hunters out there weep with envy, but I picked this one up for 75 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom