Why some owners manuals are tough to find

Normo

Over the years I have paid for manuals that were unavailable on line. And as time goes by it seems more and more sites including this one have created a rich database of manuals online. There are other sites that complement this one , and then there is always google to search for them. Despite these embarrassment of riches, I have been unable to locate owners' manuals for the fm 200b and the fm 1000. Do you think that there were just fewer of these units sold and therefore fewer of these manuals out there. Or is it a conspiracy! Just kidding, but it's curious, service manuals are easily available but not these two owners manuals. Norm

I would attibute it to distribution. Owners manuals were produced and mainly distributed to each owner with the unit. Service Manuals on the other hand were distributed to Service Centers and Tv/Radio Shops as needed by them (usually more than 2 copies per shop). Sam's produced Service manuals of their own design.

Also Owners manuals were not always kept after the 1st year or two by owners , lost by kids, or moving, etc. Granted some owners were meticulous about their paperwork, but generally they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. Service Dept's tend to keep manuals forever once they have them. And when the shops closed the contents get auctioned off to find their way to E-Bay, or internet sites.

Unfortunate for us, the new owners of this Vintage 50's and 60's gear. A lot of us are under 40 (and have absolutely no knowledge of Simulcast stereo, or how to hook up speakers to them, or even wire them up). Seems you needed at least 2 years of engineering courses to even look at the back and make sense at times back then. Nowadays everything is color coded, RCA Plugged, plastic coated BPC that can't even be worked on at the board level by the very Service Centers that the manufacturers designate as factory authorized. Oh Well, so much for progress.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom