Has anyone ever actually sold a pair of ADS speakers because they didnt like them??

Nope. The pair of L620s I sold went to a friend who needed fine speaks and had lusted after those for quite a while. Also I was moving and wanted to sell to good homes some of the equipment I'd gathered.

But it sure wasn't because I didn't like them! And I still have L710s in my living room, being enjoyed daily.

I"m selling my L520's because I don't like them as much as my KLH Model Six's, Dynaco A25's or Klipsch Cornwalls. But if I didn't have those speakers, I'd probably keep them.

I sold a pair of l780's. Thought they sounded a bit sharp and wiry in the mids and treble compared to my 910's and other speakers.

Same here... let go L810 because I'm out of work....

Will get up on my feet again and... buy me some ADS for shure.

What precise, non-fatiguing airy sound they had....

Easily sold.
not so easily found here.

Attachments

• DSCN0772.jpg
    DSCN0772.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
About 40 years ago a pal sold his ADS speakers (I don't know the model, they were three ways) to get some Altec Carmels with the twin 414 woofer and 806-811 treble load.

I sold not one but two sets of ADS L 990's.

I bought two pair of beat up 990's and fixed them up with the idea of selling one pair to pay for parts and labor while keeping the other pair.

I loved the tweeter and midrange on those speakers but did not like the 10" woofers. It could have been my amps or the room, but they were just too sloppy for me.

I also tried some Advents and some Bostons with 10" woofers. Same issue: too sloppy. I have concluded I just don't care for 10" woofers.

I would still like to to scroe any number of ADS speakers but the 990 just did not do it for me.

Last edited:
In general, the broader the speaker line the more likely there will be some duds. ADS was no exception to the rule.

Original M12s BTW, not sold but given away. They served as rear surround speaker stands in my buddy's HT system for a long time.

Yes.

Sold some L400. A small two way that were too harsh, very fatiguing. Made my ears bleed.

Sold some L880. GREAT speakers, but at that time, I had too many other equally great speakers (had just bought my first Beveridge set).

Kept L710 - Later, we moved and I had more space. I found these, reformed them and refinished the cabs.

In general they have many endearing qualities.

IMHO-#1 reason, low listener fatigue compared to other manufacturers. I never got tired of listening to them.

There are/were some other well known brands/models that after 20-30 minutes I couldn't wait to get out of the room.

i sold a set of metal grille 810s because no matter how much i tried to make myself like them because they are so great, i could never like them. the bass....BOOMED, and i couldn't play enough tricks on them to tame it down. the guy that bought them thought they were fantastic.

I am likely going to let go a pair of 1290/II's, not because I don't like them. They are being edged out by Sony SS m-7's and my inability to convince my wife that having different speakers for every day of the week is the height of modern living.

Yes. Sold a pair of L810's that I didn't hate, just didn't love them. I liked the L710 I picked up at the same time better and couldn't justify keeping both. Probably did not put enough effort into setting the L810's up optimally, either - but, where I needed them to work the options were limited and the L710 were superior in that application.

If cutting a mismatched pair to pieces with a jigsaw and throwing what's left in the trash, and selling off the few usable parts in them counts, guilty again. Friend gave me an MV30/t and MV40/t to dispose of. One of them was rodent infested and the little bastard had chewed through ONE lead wire on each woofer, then pissed all over the fiberglass stuffing which made a mess everywhere it touched something else, corroded the back of the tweeter etc. IIRC the only useful parts of that one were the crossover board and the connector panel - tweeter tested bad after removing it. The other speaker wasn't much better but at least the woofers worked ok.

No guilt on that one whatsoever.

John

The gentleman that sold me his metal grilled L810's did so only because he was in financial trouble I believe. He did ask me to give him first chance to buy them back if I ever decided to sell them. He had many different sets of speakers for sell at the time too.

Room and Budget

Budget and fear of becoming a pack rat presented me with this Sophie's choice:

picture.php

I loved the 1230's ALMOST as much as the Rock Monitors.

In a way your question makes no sense because if somebody can sell them they first must own them meaning they likely bought them so Ofcourse they enjoyed them at and to a point.
Having said that people find speakers that are better so off they go, the path for my dad was ADS, Snell, Legacy then Vandersteen...all better than last.

Back
Top Bottom