This has to stop - Members changing their "handles"

Have you ever gone by a different "handle" on AK??

• Yes

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 197 88.3%
  • I have never changed, but would if I could.

Votes: 19 8.5%

• Total voters

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
I noticed it first with the artist formerly known as "bentpencil". Now another AK'er I am used to knowing as one name has changed to some series of numbers.

First, HOW do you do this, and secondly, WHY?

I been here 11 years. People know me by onwardjames. I feel it would be confusing to go change that handle.

Just food for thought. I tried finding some place in the user cp for doing this, but to no avail.

I thought I had seen some very recent posts by bentpencil. Anyway, how would you know??

I asked him, saw a thread with his obvious avatar and sig, and he said "it was time for a change." I forget the new name.

I preferred the handle bentpencil anyway. :thmbsp:

How do you remember who you dislike when everyone is changing their names:D

Hell I have a hard enough time when the avatar gets changed

Only admins can change someone's "handle," and they don't do it very often.

Thanks for the reply, onwardjames, but I notice your quote:

"Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because This Is Just A Ride." - Bill Hicks

AK is just a ride.

Actually it appears all of the member's earlier posts follow to their new name, i.e. if you use the Advanced Search to find all their posts, there are none under the old name, but lots under the new one.

I too have wondered why a user would want to do that, but if they wanted to share, they probably would have.

Theoretically, if a person used the same handle on more than one website, and someone was stalking them or trying to hack into their accounts, an 'identity change' might be a good idea. Just thinking out loud.

Exactly. I had mine changed becaused I'd use part of my name in it, and realized as I started to sell more stuff, privacy, security etc, was a bad idea.

If'd I'd had to stick to it, I'd deleted account and re-register as a new user. So either way not a big deal.

I asked him, saw a thread with his obvious avatar and sig, and he said "it was time for a change." I forget the new name.

I preferred the handle bentpencil anyway. :thmbsp:

Yeah - its not like pipple here have their real face showing so you tell them apart -
Avatars mean Ak is just a buncha rooms of synths - and hell, ANYTHING can happen with synths!

Chevy Chase, Weekend Update, SNL, ca. 1978 (paraphrased):

"Black Panther spokesman [_____] said publicly that the organization and blacks in general have never been fond of Jewish people. When asked to comment, Sammy Davis Jr., who has recently announced his conversion to Judaism, said 'Great, now I can hate myself!' "

Just be careful you don't hate yourself by accident!

:banana:

In all fairness, I believe our erstwhile BP did open a thread and actually announce he was changing to 'usedto'.

But I agree, I feel I now have to get used to usedto, ;) because to me, it seems like he is a n00b. :)

UPDATE:

See post #36

Last edited:
How do we know its not like World of Warcraft -
people come here, make friends, build up a history,
then change the username and once its been "monetized"
sell off the account to someone else ?

There are presume reputations hanging in the balance!!

How do we know its not like World of Warcraft -
people come here, make friends, build up a history,
then change the username and once its been "monetized"
sell off the account to someone else ?

There are presume reputations hanging in the balance!!

I doubt if I could GIVE my AK handle away...

In all fairness, I believe our erstwhile BP did open a thread and actually announce he was changing to 'usedto'.

But I agree, I feel I now have to get used to usedto, ;) because to me, it seems like he is a n00b. :)

No, not with that hand.....

Thanks for the reply, onwardjames, but I notice your quote:

"Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because This Is Just A Ride." - Bill Hicks

AK is just a ride.

This is true. I was just curious about it all.

And your handle has to be one of the best, plus the avatar of smurfs burning?
Genius.

I have thought about changing mine. Not that anyone would notice but for the fact that some people probably find it offensive.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I choose that nick.

Back
Top Bottom