Official Grateful Dead Thread

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
Subscriber
Thoughts and hallucinations welcome!

Here's some original art
It's large so I had to scan the 2 halves and stitch the pix together.
It's kind of busy but I'd like to make it available for desktop wallpaper.
Flickr squished it to 1024 x 784 - it's actually 1568 x 1200 - anyone have a place to share it full size? PM me.

EDIT 6/15/13 - fixed it!

6753320201_714a2d3f41_o.jpg

Last edited:
I never got "The Dead" until about a year ago. I always found them, well boring. I think that my interest in String Band music and early American folk music like the Carter Family "readjusted" something in my hearing/taste. A dear friend of mine did a radio show last year about "Jam Bands" ; Phish,Blotto and others and I really enjoyed it. Afterwards I did a Google search for "Best Dead Show ever" and found Barton Hall 5/8/77. I've been really into them ever since. I've also got a Hollywood Palladium show from 1971 on my ipod that I like alot. I've picked up Terrapin Station and Shakedown Street plus I bought a collection of about 20 or so Dead vinyl boots.

My experience was the same, and I like many differnt and varied types of music. It wasn't until my 40's that I picked up my first Dead CD "Dead Set" Since, I have picked up many others :)

Do you know about Taper's Section at dead.net?

Here's a copy/paste from a couple of weeks ago in the Live Playlist thread:

In the cave:

Weeks 1-3 of Tapers' Section at Dead.net

November 27 - December 3, 2006
December 4 - December 10, 2006
December 11 - December 17, 2006

I downloaded and burned about 30 weeks worth of Tapers' Section a few years ago (~80 cdrs!)

It's all excellent quality and a great (free) place to start for GD neophytes looking to expand their...

You want live? Welcome to my world :beerchug:

copy/paste intro to Taper's Section:

In this space, every Monday, you will find information on the recorded history of the Grateful Dead’s music as it pertains to that week, specifically focusing on the shows for that week, through the band’s 30 year performing history, that reside in the Grateful Dead’s storied tape vault. Although not everything is in there, with more than 1,600 of the band’s 2,400-odd shows represented, there is plenty about which to talk. Check back weekly for new entries and insight into the vault, as well as exclusive audio clips relating to that week in the Grateful Dead’s recorded history.

Steal_your_FACE_by_Tstar7.jpg

And speaking of Barton Hall 77 (copy/paste from Live Playlist thread from about a week ago)

This might be my favorite unreleased show that's playing on my stereo right now:

Grateful Dead Live at Barton Hall, Cornell University on May 8, 1977 <--it's free - enjoy!

It's linked to Archive.org but I think I got mine from GD Live back when that was up & running.

tGD-Cornell77poster.jpg

EDIT - There are MANY different sources/versions of this show available.

This one seems extremely popular

Here's the link to all 5/8/77 available at Archive.org http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"Grateful+Dead"+AND+date:1977-05-08*

I found and enjoy Hunter Seamons' Matrix of 5/8/77 the best :yes:

Here's another copy paste from a different thread:

Hi Mowgli, If you get a minute, what are some of your favorite Dick's Picks? I have one, #8, and love it but would like to get more. Just don't know where to go from here.

#8 & #4 are usually listed as fan favorites so you're on the right track :thmbsp:

DP are all good to awesome but one of my (and many heads') favorite shows is Cornell 5/8/77
It's not a Dick's Pick but it's widely available for free.
Hunter Seamons' 5/8/77 Matrix is as good as it gets.
Matrix = combining Aud tapes with Soundboard.
Look for Hunter's Cornell Trix @ bt.etree.org or archive.org

Another fan favorite is the Port Chester, NY show on 2/19/71.
I had it from bt.etree but they have since released it as Three from the Vault

My favorite official release is Ladies & Gentlemen 4 disc set from Fillmore East April 25 - 29, 1971

There is a FLAC torrent available for Europe 72 complete if you're so inclined.

Have fun collecting, I'm up to over 400 discs and I have a long way to go. (1/25/12 EDIT - recount! over 500)

EDIT - Here's one of my posts at the LIVE playlist thread with links to Taper's Section at Dead.net

Taper's Section is a great place to learn about GD

Try this Throwing Stones I scooped from TS on for size

picture-430.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good idea for a thread, Mowgli.

We were posting w/ Brett A. in the "what I'm really digging now" thread and I figured an "official" Grateful Dead thread would be cool.

Ken

Good idea for a thread, Mowgli.
We were posting w/ Brett A. in the "what I'm really digging now" thread and I figured an "official" Grateful Dead thread would be cool.
Ken

Invite him on over :beerchug:

I've been playing nothing but live Dead for about a month now.
Over 75 GD discs between the car, the stereo, the DVD shows & the 'puter.
I've been posting in the Recorded Live Playlist thread so much that the regulars in there took vacation.
I searched and was surprised that no one had started a Deadicated thread yet.

So...

I'm on disc 2 of an unreleased show I got from GDLive or bt.etree.org a few years ago

04/21/69 The Ark Club, Boston Ma <== on a Monday, Tuesday must have been a colorful workday in Beantown

SpecTACular Lovelight!

Foxy Lady Jam [2:39] ; Dark Star [22:48] > St. Stephen [5:41] > The Eleven [12:16] > Turn On Your Love Light [1:17] > Drums [0:36] > Turn On Your Love Light [4:20] > Drums [0:21] > Turn On Your Love Light [15:31]

19690421-6.75x8.5iorr.jpg

Last edited:
Grateful Dead Live at The Eureka Municipal Auditorium on January 20, 1968

Jam > Clementine > New Potato Caboose > Born Cross Eyed > Spanish Jam > Caution Jam > Dark Star

Very trippy and hard but cohesive

My copy is as filler on disc 3 of GD @ The Ark in Boston 4/21/69

Stolen review stub from archive.org:

This is a must-listen for fans of pre-1970 Dead.
A fabulous gig played while they were still recording Anthem of the Sun.
Every song is a highlight, and every member of the band contributes enormously to an audio feast with transitions as smooth as any in their history.
Pigpen on keyboards is at his best.
The audio is good, and you can hear every instrument.

2874167747_17352b7ff5.jpg

Did you know that there will be a Dave's Picks series?

After seeing the Dead in May 2009 @ Gorge WA I have vowed never to go to another show. They were that BAD. The Doobie Brothers and Allman Bros were on the same bill, both were better.

That's Dave looking at tape earlier in this thread.
He's the same guy that picks the songs for Tapers' Section at Dead.net

Right now my puter's busy jamming a Charlie Miller mastered show from bt.etree.org
The series at etree is called gd_19**_project*
I'm only snagging the FLAC shows from that series and Charlie Millers' when available :yes:

Grateful Dead @ Civic Auditorium in Santa Barbara on January 17, 1969

It sounds great so it's going in here:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cool thread idea..

I got one of these who is my trippin bud.. he sits on the dash of my truck trippin along everywhere I go..

sell-grateful-dead-bertha-bean-bear-bright-red-teddy-lqqk-cc.jpg

After seeing the Dead in May 2009 @ Gorge WA I have vowed never to go to another show. They were that BAD. The Doobie Brothers and Allman Bros were on the same bill, both were better.

Ouch.

I had a similar reaction when I saw Phil Lesh and friends a few years ago. They actually weren't bad at all, quite the opposite in fact. But it left me feeling sort of "So what. Been there, done that." I was turned off by all the people who dug out their Dead "costumes," put on their Dead "attitudes," and pretended they were back in the day. Time marches on. I'd love to see Phil do something new, rather than simply rehashing the old days. Sure, throw a couple of oldies in, but it's so freakin' stagnant you can smell the mold.

Ouch.

I had a similar reaction when I saw Phil Lesh and friends a few years ago. They actually weren't bad at all, quite the opposite in fact. But it left me feeling sort of "So what. Been there, done that." I was turned off by all the people who dug out their Dead "costumes," put on their Dead "attitudes," and pretended they were back in the day. Time marches on. I'd love to see Phil do something new, rather than simply rehashing the old days. Sure, throw a couple of oldies in, but it's so freakin' stagnant you can smell the mold.

To be honest, he probably has nothing new left. Nor do most aging rock stars and bands. The Allman Bros, McCartney, the Stones, Roger Waters, etc all can still get up there and give a great show. But most if not all rely on classic material that is decades old.

They are now nostalgia acts. The thing is, is that not what we want? I saw an interview wth Steve Miller where he joked that everytime he does a new song, people get up to reload on beer or hit the can.

I saw Phil & Friend open up for the ABB. I enjoyed them. New twist on old material. And the only way to get a latent Dead fix. Unless one imibibes in..... Tribute Bands.:sigh:

Most rock stars are resting on their laurels. If they are not trying anything new, maybe we should be thankful because it could very well be substandard.

To be honest, he probably has nothing new left. Nor do most aging rock stars and bands. The Allman Bros, McCartney, the Stones, Roger Waters, etc all can still get up there and give a great show. But most if not all rely on classic material that is decades old.

They are now nostalgia acts. The thing is, is that not what we want? I saw an interview wth Steve Miller where he joked that everytime he does a new song, people get up to reload on beer or hit the can.

I saw Phil & Friend open up for the ABB. I enjoyed them. New twist on old material. And the only way to get a latent Dead fix. Unless one imibibes in..... Tribute Bands.:sigh:

Most rock stars are resting on their laurels. If they are not trying anything new, maybe we should be thankful because it could very well be substandard.

I think there is a differance between an artist and a musician. I have little problem with say Leo Kottke or Jorm Kaukonen not playing new material. The same goes for the Dead.

On the other hand the lack of new inovative material from someone like a David Bowie or David Byrne leaves nothing but nostalga.

Back
Top Bottom