worth repairing my Yamaha cr-1020?

narkleptic

I picked up a Yamaha cr-1020 receiver off craigslist last week. The faceplate is pretty good, with a couple of scratches only visible from certain angles. I'd give it an 8.

The wood case has a major knick/chunk (about a half inch long and half inch deep) on one side, which the original owner tried to repair with putty. I'd give it a 5.

My original plan was to repair the wood and replace my pioneer sx-737.
(The amplifier section of the yammy is fantastic and clearly blows my pioneer out of the water.)

Tuner and amp functions great on the yamaha but it turns out the phono stage on the yamaha is busted, and the local repair shop wants $150 to fix it.

My question is whether if I'm gonna spend that much on the repair, (phono section PLUS wood) would it maybe be better to spend the money for a pristine yamaha, without the hassles, and just give this otherwise fine amp to my inlaws.

advice?

That Yamaha is a very nice receiver. It should definitely be fixed but whether you are the one to do it or not is up to you.
If it were mine I would base the decision on how much I already had in it and how much I need the phono section.
If you don't want to get it repaired I'm sure someone else here would take it off your hands.

Did the tech tell you what was wrong with the phono section?

The phono section, as well as the tone control amp section, is powered by the + and - 25 volt supply so if that works it is llikely a dirty switch contact - time for Deoxit. $150? sheesh it put a MC phono preamp in a 1020 for less than that.

tech says I've got some leaky capacitors

in phono stage that need to be repaired.

It's $159 for the repair.

soooo...merrylander, is this reasonable or highway robbery?

$159 is not out of the ballpark for a professional repair shop. However, a CR-1020 sells for about that much on epay.

If you have some proper equipment and a working knowledge of electronics, you can probably fix yourself. Merrylander has been guiding me through some repairs on my CR-640. If all it takes is some Deoxit, you'll have one helluva receiver there.

Changing the caps in the phono section should not be that hard and the transistors are all discrete. It was only the MC pre-amp that used special transistor units, and I have a pair of those.

Last edited:
$159 is not out of the ballpark for a professional repair shop. However, a CR-1020 sells for about that much on epay.

I haven't been watching them seriously, but it's been a long time since I've seen a 1020 go that cheap... it's a beautiful receiver. The wood can be fixed or replaced, and the internals are all discrete stuff. The price of the caps for the phono section is likely to be less than $30 including overnight shipping from Digikey, although if it outright doesn't work there may be other things that need to be looked at. If it were me I'd fix it, whether you do or not will depend on how much time you've got, your skill level, and your interest.

Back
Top Bottom