What is a good Yamaha turntable to get?

Arkay I think you missed out on this one from the OP, if you can get me a nicely working GT2000x or L in that pricerange - I will take 10 :)

OOPS! Yeah, somehow I missed that price range at the end there.

No, I know where and how to get GT-2000s for well below HiFiDo prices, but still nowhere near that price range. Even the PF-800 doesn't come that cheap ... unless you are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY lucky! :D

If I DID know where to get any of the tables I listed for under $150, I'd be grabbing every one I could get, and flipping most of them! :yes: :D

The GT-1000 and GT-750 TTs, despite looking a lot like the 2000's on the outside, are more cheaply constructed under the skin, and do not perform at the same level... but they're still fine TTs, compared to most, and quite a bit more affordable than their bigger brothers. {You get what you pay for!}
Any chance you could post a link to pictures of these two models? Don't believe I've seen either one. Thanks.

Any chance you could post a link to pictures of these two models? Don't believe I've seen either one. Thanks.

Here is a link to a Google translation of a page (with pic) about the GT-750:

http://translate.google.com/transla...hs=aYj&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=iv

And here is one about the GT-1000:

http://translate.google.com/transla...=laj&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivfd

You will notice that they look quite similar. There are subtle differences between them in terms of the platter and tonearm and plinth, but outwardly they look almost alike.

The easy way to tell these lower models from the GT-2000 (and up) is that the latter have a cylindrical post that sticks up, partly overlapping the platter. It has small lights on top to indicate the platter speed. It needs to be removed, before the platter can be removed (it just lifts straight up). Actually, it isn't just a decorative gimmick, but also functional: you can use it to rest/stabilize your hand, when moving the manual tonearm over to select a track! There is a line-drawing illustration of it being used that way, in the GT-2000 manual.

Here is the TVK site's pic of the GT-2000, where you can see the post:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/GT2000/GT2000.html

Here's a GT-750 in my living room:

f0018137_4cd140564f180.jpg

f0018137_4cd1405cc2f04.jpg

f0018137_4cd1407154d03.jpg

I guess I should be glad that the 750 at least made it on Arkay's list :smoke:

Arkay - trying to PM you but your inbox is full.

davidro - that is very nice. Where did you find it? Are you in NA?

I got it shipped all the way from Japan to Australia.

I made my purchase based partly on non-AK GT enthusiasts' view who have upgraded all the way from 750 to 2000 and still regard the 750 very highly. And I'm loving it and quite proud of my decision to take the gamble (of having it shipped from Japan without an inspection prior to the purchase).

I've also seen an analogue fan who's gone through Denon, Sansui, Luxman, Marantz, Project, Clearaudio and even Transrotor Zet 3, and then rated Yamaha YP-D9 (his current deck) over them all. Don't feel restrained to take the plunge of getting a decent Yamaha deck, it could be very rewarding!

Last edited:
I own a mahogany example and am pleased.

Let me explain. Even though growing up with my own record player, I only listen to a bit of my dad's expansive Motown, R&B, Gospel collection. Garsh, I don't even listen to those old Disney Movie Productions on LP anymore but a bit of some antique/thrift store's Classical & Baroque. Kinda like the cassette player, yup, I like it. But guess what? I've only one tape--our H.S. Symphonic Band at State Competition & Fall Festival rendering our prepared pieces.

I guess I'm disqualifying myself, cause I'm not the avid listener.

Fortunate/lucky on eBay w/ someone who sent two needles and other stuff. I remembered I didn't pay much. Tuning wasn't so scientific either. Plugged it into the C-4 and adjusted until it sounded best.:music:

Marvin Gaye sounds wonderful on it, especially the concerts. Christmas music and Gospel are treats this time of year. Nostalgic.

When being asked about my system once, the fellar was kinda impressed. He's definitely an LP guy. When I got to the table, I was made to feel a bit amateurish when referencing eBay listing, "Well, that's a nice veneer. Hmm, they don't usually come like that."

He went on to explain why I preferred the C-4 over the C-2a (bought both universal models from same seller for comparison) with vinyl. It just had so many ways (adjustments) to get it right.

So my answer is, it's nice beginner table that sounds good. Would it compare to the boutique stuff or Yammie's TOTL stuff? I dunno. I stopped there, for I got lucky on both purchases that turned out to be a decent combination for my limited listening habits.:boring:

Please look and compare the arms of (YP)-D51/71 and YP-D8/10: http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/index3.html
D51/71 arm bases are similar to GT series though the arm itself is constructed of a different material.
O.P.: Recommend the D-51, having owned one for a couple of years as well as the GT-2000L. Of course the GT outperforms the D51 with the same cart, but the YP-D51 is certainly a great sounding deck. Aim up as high as you can in the series and good luck!

Just had to second your recommendation for the D51 arm on the YP-D8. I am listening to my Lyra Kleos MC cartridge on that arm and table right now. It's as good if not better than you can imagine. Proud to be the original owner since 1978 when I was selling hi-if. image.jpeg

Now here's a thread bump for ya!^^^;)

I have a yp-b4 that seems nice, but I'm not a vinyl guy so it's gathering dust.:rolleyes: It does fit the op's price range though!

Have to luv those universal headshells. I have to change the entire TA on my VPI when I change cartridges (have two of them). Is a an expensive proposition, even at used prices ($700 for the SE version).

Yessss! I would never trade in my PX-2 for a GT-2000! I had a GT-750 for a while which was primarily BIG. A nice YP-D 8-10, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom