Music Hall CDAC 15.3 vs NAD T512

Still not working right.

Here's what I have spent the last 2 hours trying:

1) Switched the new Monoprice TOSLINK to Mini-TOSLINK cable that I bought to a generic one that I have had for about 15 years and have had no issues with on other players. Added a mini-TOSLINK adapter to accommodate the APE digital out. Things play fine for 1 or 2 songs and then the hideous static sound comes on. I immediately shut everything down so I don't damage anything.

2) Switched out the APE for a Pioneer PDR-609 CD Recorder that I have used for years without issue. I know the optical I/O works. I used the older cable without the mini-TOSLINK adapter. I played one recorded CD and one studio CD for about 4 songs each. No issues.

3) I switched out the 15.3 for the Pioneer in the main system. So, this time, the APE is running with the mini-TOSLINK adapter to the Pioneer optical in, and then out to the preamp. I streamed about 6 songs from my computer to the APE this way with no issues. I even had my computer run a backup wirelessly to tax the network a little and audio playback was flawless.

4) I moved the APE and the Pioneer to a completely different end of the house (on a different floor and about 40 feet from my wireless router) and plugged both into a different system altogether. The computer is streaming to the APE, passing through the DAC on the Pioneer, and everything sounds perfect.

5) I moved the APE to my office, where the iMac resides, and where I use a Pop Pulse PCM 1796 MkII DAC. Zero issues with the APE running through the Pop Pulse.

My only conclusion from this is that the Musichall DAC is not compatible with whatever signal the APE is sending. Because my ~15 year old Pioneer DAC seems to be handling it fine, as well as a 5 year old Chinese-made DAC. I tried to rule out cable choice and the functionality of the APE, but I am very disappointed to say....I don't think this Musichall unit will work for me. It's a beautiful piece of equipment, but I need something that is less finicky.

Has ANYONE else had this issue with a Airport Express going digital?

So much for "plug and play."

Looks like I am sending the 15.3 back for a refund. I put the Pioneer in it's place (the NAD T512 is doing movie duty downstairs now), using the Pioneer's DAC from the APE. Everything is working and sounding great now!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom