iPhone Connection Conundrum

1.0 volt is the maximum output from the iPhone headphone jack. This is low and will not hurt your receiver. Many CD players and tuners put out about 2 volts and get plugged directly into the RCA input of receivers or amps. Don't believe me (or anyone on the internet) check the output specs on your phone and the input specs on your receiver.

My apologies for giving the incorrect information. I had read an article, in which I now can't find, that stated it can be dangerous because of voltage levels being too high and you should always use a dock for line level input into stereo. After Reynolds531 information, I did find this article:
http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

Again, my apologies!

My apologies for giving the incorrect information. I had read an article, in which I now can't find, that stated it can be dangerous because of voltage levels being too high and you should always use a dock for line level input into stereo. After Reynolds531 information, I did find this article:
http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

Again, my apologies!

Beavis is a Butthead! In your link he states "In working with audio devices for the reproduction of music, the goal is to have impedance matching: the output impedance of the device making the sounds should closely match the input impedance of the device amplifying the sound. This impedance matching works to ensure the most efficient transfer of power (the audio signal in our case) from device to device."

This is statement is absolutely wrong. In linking a source to an amplifier the goal is voltage bridging, not maximizing power transfer! Voltage bridging is achieved when the output impedence of the source is less (preferable at least 10 X less) than the input impedance of the amplifier. The output impedance of the iPhone headphone jack is only 4.5 Ohms, and vitrually every consumer audfio amplifier you could plug into with RCA jacks has much, much higher input impedance and is very effective at voltage bridging with the iPhone.

The iPhone is a great source and it works fantastic connected from the headphone jack through RCA cables to the input of an amp. I do it almost every day. Sound is not anemic if the ampifier has sufficient gain and power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom