New Separates from Line Magnetic...

Just ordered the tubes this morning from GF.

I have about 24hrs. on the amp now and it`s really starting to open up. The tone is great with great texture and layers to the music, plus the 3D imaging is realistic.

Nice! Very curious to see how you like them. I've kept mine through two different tube amps, so I'm definitely a fan. As for the other tubes when you're ready, I use the Gold Lion KT88 reissues and some NOS Sylvannia 12bh7s.

Nice! Very curious to see how you like them. I've kept mine through two different tube amps, so I'm definitely a fan. As for the other tubes when you're ready, I use the Gold Lion KT88 reissues and some NOS Sylvannia 12bh7s.

I hope i like them also. What was the main difference between stock and the Psvane`s? This amp produces some really nice bass, tight and textured with plenty of authority. I was playing Wonder What`s Next album by CheVelle and on the second cut (comfortable liar) i could feel the percussion from the bass and the volume was only at 9 in ultra-linear! Yes, i`m 60+ but still like my shot of some hard rock on occasion.

I hope i like them also. What was the main difference between stock and the Psvane`s? This amp produces some really nice bass, tight and textured with plenty of authority. I was playing Wonder What`s Next album by CheVelle and on the second cut (comfortable liar) i could feel the percussion from the bass and the volume was only at 9 in ultra-linear! Yes, i`m 60+ but still like my shot of some hard rock on occasion.

The Psvanes basically just take all the good things you're hearing up a notch. More refined and tightens up everything a bit. They're also incredibly quiet.

Nice amp. dump the preamp tubes - the other tubes should be PSVANE/Shuguangs and should be pretty good.

I've read good things about the PSVANE grey bottle 88s and heard an amp with them that sounded excellent - so down the line might be worth considering $435 for four.

TII-KT88-pair-with-box.jpg

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/kt88-tii-quad/#

Are the Line Magnetic 12AX7`s also made by Psvane? I purchased Psvane 12AX7`s and upon inspection the tubes appear to be the same as the Line Magnetic except for the gold pins. Sonically they also sound the same although the Psvane`s only have about six hrs. In my 40+ years of tube rolling i could always tell a difference in sound between tube manufacturers these 12AX7`s sound alike thus my question.

Newbie to Line Magnetic. Hope you guys do not mind a few questions:

1. How is the 218 superior to the 211 & 216 from a tone point of view?

2. For low efficiency speaker, would the 216 be better than the 218 as it has higher watts rating? Or is there something about the 218 that actually makes it better for low efficiency speakers?

3. Specifically, would all of the three integrated mentioned appropriate for the KEF LS50? (I often read that 1 tube amp watt is 'worth' more than solid state watt...not sure why and how that is so as one watt is one watt.)

4. How does the 518 improve on the 218 in terms of actual tone production?

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

Newbie to Line Magnetic. Hope you guys do not mind a few questions:

1. How is the 218 superior to the 211 & 216 from a tone point of view?

2. For low efficiency speaker, would the 216 be better than the 218 as it has higher watts rating? Or is there something about the 218 that actually makes it better for low efficiency speakers?

3. Specifically, would all of the three integrated mentioned appropriate for the KEF LS50? (I often read that 1 tube amp watt is 'worth' more than solid state watt...not sure why and how that is so as one watt is one watt.)

4. How does the 518 improve on the 218 in terms of actual tone production?

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

Unfortunately i was unable to hear the 218 but was able to hear the 518 and in my opinion it was far superior to the 211 and 216 in every regard. The 518 at less power than the 216 was able to deliver sound with more authority through the speakers than the 216 making it sound more powerful than the 216. The 518 delivers a nice wide open live sound where as with the 211 and 216 the sound presentation is coming from within the speaker, with the 518 the speakers are invisible. I was told that the 218 delivers 90% of what the 518 delivers.

If i would of had the money there is no question i would have purchased the 518, it`s just in a different league than the 211 and 216. The 216 while sounding good, for me leaves a little to be desired and to be honest i was expecting more, at 20 hrs. it was starting to open up but between that time and now 75hrs. there has been no improvement, the sound seems to be confined to the speaker boxes instead of producing a soundstage beyond them. I have tried different 12AX7 tubes to no effect.

If you have the money go for the 218 or 518.

Unfortunately i was unable to hear the 218 but was able to hear the 518 and in my opinion it was far superior to the 211 and 216 in every regard. The 518 at less power than the 216 was able to deliver sound with more authority through the speakers than the 216 making it sound more powerful than the 216. The 518 delivers a nice wide open live sound where as with the 211 and 216 the sound presentation is coming from within the speaker, with the 518 the speakers are invisible. I was told that the 218 delivers 90% of what the 518 delivers.

If i would of had the money there is no question i would have purchased the 518, it`s just in a different league than the 211 and 216. The 216 while sounding good, for me leaves a little to be desired and to be honest i was expecting more, at 20 hrs. it was starting to open up but between that time and now 75hrs. there has been no improvement, the sound seems to be confined to the speaker boxes instead of producing a soundstage beyond them. I have tried different 12AX7 tubes to no effect.

If you have the money go for the 218 or 518.

Definitely give it a little more time. Also, I forget, which speakers are you using with the 216?

I don't know who makes the LM 12AX7 but the power tubes are PSVANE and the 310A in my 219IA is co-production between LM and PSVANE.

So considering they already have a relationship, it's probably a PSVANE 12AX7. The advice I was given was to dump the preamp tube for NOS and the other tubes are fine as is. The preamp tube is arguably the most important one in the amp so it's the one to roll first.

To be fair the 218 and 518 are more than double the price of the 211 and 216 and they should be expected to be better amplifiers and while price isn't always indicative of quality - generally speaking - within the same company line up the higher the level the better the product. Exceptions to this come in design topology. I prefer my Audio Note OTO over the 20% more expensive SORO. The SORO simply costs more to design and some guys want the near 50% increase in power and need the oomph that amp possesses.

With the LM amps you're comparing push pull designs in the 211 and 216 to a Single Ended Triode (SET) in the 218, 518, 219 etc. With 845 outputs they use much beefier transformers that can control loudspeakers properly and have to with their lower power.

In general and IMO, Single Ended just sounds better than push pull. Yes there are PP amps that beat some SET amps but I can't off hand think of any at the same price that do.

The only downside to SET is the power limitations - but that is only a downside if you have inefficient speakers. Oh and heat - they run full on all the time.

After reading everything I can get my browser to find, I think I am committing to a 218/518. THANKS everyone.

So question about tube.

I'm interested in current production tubes that are avaiable.

Would there be general consensus that the stock tubes that come are generally pretty decent? And if the preamp tube is to be replaced, WHICH one is the preamp tube? Sorry about the neophyte question.

And if the preamp tube is to be replaced, which current production tubes should I consider?

Thanks.
UL

I don't know who makes the LM 12AX7 but the power tubes are PSVANE and the 310A in my 219IA is co-production between LM and PSVANE.

So considering they already have a relationship, it's probably a PSVANE 12AX7. The advice I was given was to dump the preamp tube for NOS and the other tubes are fine as is. The preamp tube is arguably the most important one in the amp so it's the one to roll first.

After reading everything I can get my browser to find, I think I am committing to a 218/518. THANKS everyone.

So question about tube.

I'm interested in current production tubes that are avaiable.

Would there be general consensus that the stock tubes that come are generally pretty decent? And if the preamp tube is to be replaced, WHICH one is the preamp tube? Sorry about the neophyte question.

And if the preamp tube is to be replaced, which current production tubes should I consider?

Thanks.
UL

The 12AX7`s are the preamp tubes. You have many choices, NOS, new. From experience i would look for NOS.

Here is a link that might help or confuse? http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#12AX7

RH67,

THANKs. Excellent review. Presumably if they cost the same, you would go for the 518 but due to the $1K differential, you are going for the 218?

Can you use different tubes for the 518 as you can the 218? 218 specs list a number of other tubes but not the 518. I assume that's an oversight.

I read one review about the Psvane WE845 - seem to be their top of the line and $$$.

Thanks again!

UL

Last edited:
RH67,

THANKs. Excellent review. Presumably if they cost the same, you would go for the 518 but due to the $1K differential, you are going for the 218?

Can you use different tubes for the 518 as you can the 218? 218 specs list a number of other tubes but not the 518. I assume that's an oversight.

I read one review about the Psvane WE845 - seem to be their top of the line and $$$.

Thanks again!

UL

Between the 216IA and 518IA to my ears there is a 50% positive difference in sound and between the 218IA and 518IA there is a 10% difference and at this time that 10% does not justify the extra $1000, at some point i have to draw the line. But for me the step up from the 216IA to the 218IA at double the price is something that my ears tell me i need to do to be happy.

Not sure about swapping tube values with the 518IA, but tube brands make a difference. Matt at Pitch Perfect Audio should be able to help you with that question.

A few more pictures for size considerations - the new Separates are looking good

The 519PA (Monoblock Power amps)

lc0.JPG

lc2.JPG

The Power amps are 160 -watt monoblock --- 845x4 , 310Ax1 , 300Bx1 , 12AX7x1 and preamplifier LM512CA powered set of 6922x2 , 6KZ8x2 and 22DE4x2 , operating in 10Hz - 70kHz band

The 512CA (Control Amp (Preamp))

lc7.JPG

lc8.JPG

Last edited:
The regular line up

lc11.JPG

I have the green one

lc5.JPG

Preamp and monoblocks from the classic Western Electric series

lc6.JPG

Some inside shots of the 512CA amplifier - I must say :drool:

01_62.jpg

01_63.jpg

01_64.jpg

01_61.jpg

Did someone say horns? Holy cow - indeed, they're bigger than any cow!

01_54.jpg

Transformers and other stuff - I like that they don't hide anything - all the parts can be seen not hidden under thick casework.

01_49.jpg

01_50.jpg

01_51.jpg

01_53.jpg

6924428cgw1eam5twecc2j215s0rwn14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom