Recommend me a surround processor under $600

Vistance

I'm looking to replace an Integra DTR 9.9 which I use as a receiver currently, due to some serious heat issues. The room I'm in is becoming uncomfortable because of it. I already have an idea where to go for a power amp, but now I want to find a surround processor that will work for my very specific purpose.

Unlike many people who probably buy a surround processor, I uh, do not need a lot. So here's the thing, I have a computer which encodes surround sound over a digital coax cable into DTS/DD. I play games and movies on this PC, and I need this encoding to get surround sound for games to work proper. Unlike probably most people, I do not use a center channel. I actually have a quad setup (My room is small so I feel I do not need a center).

Currently my DTR 9.9 is such overkill, I literally just have the digital coax plugged in to it, my subwoofer, and then the speakers. That's it. I wish I could somehow use a nice stereo preamp and then somehow...just use some other "thing" to get the surround to work for the back speakers. Then I'd have free range choice of all the nice two channel preamps out there. I like having all these new technologies on my receiver as well as HDMI but I don't even use them so it's a moot point - apparently stuff like DTS-HD Master Audio requires HDMI and since my PC is not hooked up that way I'm probably just getting the basic DTS function.

What can I get from under $600 that will fulfill my needs and still allow for quality music playback? I probably don't need the latest and greatest, but I like how newer gear has the Audyssey EQ and are very adjustable. My older Denon AVR for example, won't let me set distance from my front speakers lower than something goofy like 4-5 feet I think. The Integra lets me go down to 1 foot, and since I'm in a small room these more intimate adjustments let me tweak it far better for my performance.

I was almost dead set on an Integra DTC 9.8 I found for $450 since it's the preamp version of this receiver, but I'm a little worried about the reliability since some people have complained of this on Integra stuff. My receiver works fine, though the heat thing might be an issue that shouldn't occur. I also have no idea if HDMI works on it - I bought it at a closeout from an A/V installer for a really low price but it was tested and works (The amp section, not the HDMI). It's possible the HDMI on my Integra is dead. Not a big deal for me, but if I ever went to sell it...plus stuff breaking is a negative of the brand's quality anyway.

Suggestions/thoughts? I'm all ears here. I already tested the DTR 9.9 and it makes a lot of heat even with nothing plugged into it, so just using it as a preamp won't do (I wish it would, it would be perfect - if not a glorious example of excess). Should I be looking at pure processors, or are there some receivers with preouts that I should look into? I do not mind used at all. The lower the cost here the better as it allows more money to be spent on the amp. I have but one rule here - nothing Made in China/Taiwan.

Last edited:
Ok so to revisit this since I now have my Threshold and am noticing its placement is causing it to get excessively hot, I need this processor ASAP. I'm not a big fan of Emotiva since they're Chinese made (I'd be happier with US made), however the UPA-200 processor for $599 is looking very tempting. I've been looking used and I see the old Krell Showcase processor, a Rotel or two, and some other stuff - all generally much older and still expensive.

So can someone give me an honest opinion if the Emotiva is of sufficient quality to use with my Threshold Stasis 3 amplifier? I know they have a 30-day trial and I'm very tempted to try it out. I have a Denon AVR I could use as a processor, but feel that it's not up to the level of quality as the Threshold. Are there any other processor options out there - new or used? I need 5.1, nothing more. Something newer would be great, older is ok as long as it has DTS 96/24 and DTS-ES and 5.1 multi-channel input.

Back
Top Bottom