More new retro Yamaha

brutal

YamaHoarder
Subscriber
7E1FA95D1C2D441EB128490BA6894A63_12073.jpg

17CB7FE0C0D84030AD1D464D2C845372_12075.jpg

C89464F7EED1411CB37ACE1AE66BDFDC_12074.jpg

Released in Europe, might be coming to NA.

FWIW, here's a shot of the current TOTL HT 3D surround receiver

PV_rxa3000.jpg

Nice product, but I think I'll wait for next gen when 3D takes off and the products improve even more.

'improve'? Guess that depends on your definition of improvement. Have yet to hear any multi-channel system that improves on the sound of a properly set up 2-channel system. The retro gear is nice. Especially like the A-S2000. Too bad they haven't brought out a 'new' CT-7000, NS-1000 & GT-2000 to match. That would be a nice system.

Maybe my thread was misleading by including the latest HT product, but I wasn't by any means comparing the two, and by "improvement" I was solely referring to the HT component, I thought clear by the location of my comment below said component. :D

I do have an HT setup, and by all accounts, with the outboard amplification and JBL's I run, It will smoke many a pure 2-channel system. Notice I didn't say "any, " but rather, "many." Obviously the same setup fronted by an A-S2000 instead of the HT processor will sound better in some respects, but for a multi-use system, it fills the requirements very well.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It really bugs me that they use the paddle knobs for the bass & treble & balance and loudness, and the round knob for source selection, the complete opposite to the originators of the classic yamaha style.

Agree, I've expressed this same sentiment in the A-S2000 threads.

If it were up to me - Speaker - Rec Out - Input on paddles, bass - treble - loudness - volume on dial. Retro while still being true to the original design.

What were they thinking?

Even if the selectors only feel mechanical and had to be tied to soft switches/relays.

Last edited:
Agree, I've expressed this same sentiment in the A-S2000 threads.

If it were up to me - Speaker - Rec Out - Input on paddles, bass - treble - loudness - volume on dial. Retro while still being true to the original design.

What were they thinking?

Even if the selectors only feel mechanical and had to be tied to soft switches/relays.

I agree, but I'm very happy that Yamaha "IS" doing the retro styling... Only if they would come out with a matching tuner to go with their A-S2000 OR a truly hi-end, receiver matching the A-S2000's specs and styling.

Also, with most of the controls hidden behind a flip-down door like on the mid 80s, R-9 and RX-1100 receivers would be VERY cool too!!

Go Yamaha!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Interesting that the $450 A-S500 is rated at 85wpc and the $2500 A-S2000 is rated at 90wpc. Wonder what's under the hood that makes the difference?

Before anyone ask....no silver version listed on Yamaha's US site, although there's a silver version for overseas markets.

One's gotta wonder what sort of market research drove that strategy... 'specially given that silver is the most popular automobile color in the US market today.
I found that out after I bought a silver car... :p

FWIW, when a lot of the 'vintage' gear was current, silver was the typical color and gear that was black was at a premium price.

Some gear was offered in silver and black was an extra.

RE: Silver
Should Yamaha offer Silver, Titanium, or that Champagne color that came out for a while? I guess Silver since a few of the existing stereo retro gear is already silver. But, I sure love my Titanium gear. :thmbsp:

RE: Faceplates, Knobs, Paddles
O-k, I have got to ask, are all of these new retro components covered in all plastic? :sigh: What a shame if so, I want METAL!!! I want to start the "I Hate Plastic" club. I swear the gear sounds better when covered in wood and or metal :D Nothing kills me more from an interaction standpoint than when you touch a cheap creaky plastic faceplate, then turn a flimsy weightless plastic knob or paddle, or push a soon-to-be-cracked cheap plastic button. I still have great memories of my dad's old Sony receiver with a weighted metal tuning knob that I could spin once to get the tuner from left to the right side...smooth as butter (greatest tactile feel ever). Anyway, I would gladly pay more for metal (maybe I am in the minority).

Interesting that the $450 A-S500 is rated at 85wpc and the $2500 A-S2000 is rated at 90wpc. Wonder what's under the hood that makes the difference?

Not entirely certain about the innards, but there's $500 worth of connectors on the back of an A-S2000. WBT binding posts, XLR inputs, etc.

[edit] found a pic. Seems to be quite substantial compared to the A-S500.

p2_img_side03l.jpg

Source is an article on Jamaha.co.jp about the gear. http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/topics/hifi_interview/page1.html

Last edited:
If you click on the link for the A-S500 in post #9 and then amplifiers you can see the entire line-up from the A-S500 through the A-S2000. The spec's are quite interesting. The A-S2000, A-S1000 & A-S700 are all rated at 90wpc. Only 1.5 pounds difference (50 vs 48.5) between the A-S2000 & A-S1000 and $700. The A-S700 is $1500 less but weighs in at only 24 pounds. If you do a little surfing you can find the A-S2000 for under $2K.

Under $2k for a 90 wpc amp? Despite the looks, not worth it. For that kind of money, you could get a totally restored CA-2010 and have plenty left over to finish your system.

Under $2k for a 90 wpc amp? Despite the looks, not worth it. For that kind of money, you could get a totally restored CA-2010 and have plenty left over to finish your system.

Being dismissive and offering an opinion on the worth of a piece of equipment of this caliber without hearing it is rather perfunctory. There's nothing wrong with modern designs if executed well and with quality parts. I'm going to make it a point to get down to my local B&M that I suspect carries one of these to have a listen.

Being dismissive and offering an opinion on the worth of a piece of equipment of this caliber without hearing it is rather perfunctory. There's nothing wrong with modern designs if executed well and with quality parts. I'm going to make it a point to get down to my local B&M that I suspect carries one of these to have a listen.

True, I have not heard any of these new Yamaha's. Since you have heard and own many of the same pre-owned Yamaha amps as I have, a comparison of new vs. old would be helpful. I look forward to your listening impressions.:thmbsp:

My objection is based on the price tag. A $2,000 amp needs to be massively better to justify the huge marginal cost over a re-stored vintage amp. If you want the security of new, OK then. If you are willing to go used, the possibilities are nearly boundless.:yes:

Well, for me, I'm going for the A-S700, T-S500 and the C-S600 (??) CD changer for my new 2 channel audio system.

Yes, I'll test them out before locking myself into the deal, but for the last 25+ years, I've never been let down by Yamaha.

Again, I'm truly happy that Yamaha came through with retro styled gear vs. the ultra modern/spacey looking stuff.

I currently have tons of audio gear from the late 70s to the early 90s in various condition and to be honest, I think I bought my last piece of classic gear (Yamaha CD-1110) since the cosmetics of most of my stuff is far from great, so simply buying new gear with the "classic" looks and feel is far more practical... In my eyes, than buying used stuff off of the many auction sites.

Next spring, I'm going to start chucking items that are truly junk and have no value since I no room for all my stuff and I'm now starting to agree with the wife that I have some issues.

Back
Top Bottom