Yamaha CDX-870

the-real-mandak

Is there someone who has info on the Yamaha CDX-870? It seems impossible to find something on the net.

(There is nothing on Yamaha’s page either)

I know this is not exactly what you're asking for, but I have a Yamaha CDX-910U CD player. It was manufactured in 1988.

I only mention this as the catalog numbers are close, and perhaps it's from the same family of CD Players?

It doesn’t work that way with Yamaha models, see the CDX-910u is as you say from 88. But a 900u is from 87 and different. What you can read from the numbers is: The last 2 numbers tells out of what year it comes. The 1110u; 910u, 810u; 510u; 410u are all 1988. And then not, sometimes they throw in a model somewhere in the numbers like they forgot it on the shelves. The 710u is from 1989, but in general it works that way.

Now it gets tricky, the 710u is in family with the 410u and 510u, but not the 810u; 910u and 1110u. :scratch2:

But thanks anyway.

Yes, u = US model. The 700u is from 87.

There is a CDX-470 from 1993, but I can not tell if the 870 is from the same year. I do know that they do not share manual.

Ok, I removed the cover to see if the inside gave any answers. And there came a few, it seems there is a model series named CDX-570; 670 and 870 (also found them on the German homepage, but no info). It looks a lot like the CDX-660, but it has the closing panel of the 8xx models. The layout of the display is also like the 660 and the color is light green. The remote control is also like the one fore the 660, same features and layout. The design of the unit fits with an early 90’s model. So it might be that the EU model is called 870 but the US (or world) is called 860.
The DSP seems to be a XM00380 (anybody knows that one?), anybody have a manual for the CDX-860? Pdf doc. is best.

Attachments

• Front closed.jpg
    Front closed.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 116
  • The back.jpg
    The back.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 77
  • The machine.jpg
    The machine.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 122
  • The chip.jpg
    The chip.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Laser.jpg
    Laser.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 94
CDX870 and CDX-1060...Relatives

TRM:
I stumbled across this old thread of yours, and your CDX-870 looked familiar to me, so I went though some of my old brochures and found one sold in the USA (CDX-1060) that looks exactly the same. Here are some interesting links and one image/

http://www.hifi-corner.com/cdx_1060_text.htm

http://audio.egehaven.dk/cdx/index.html

571337_1.JPG

THX Yamahalic, but thay are not the same. They might share the same DAC, but that's it.

I just checked, they do not share DAC's either. The 870 runs the YDC103 and the 1060 use the YAC506-D and is the only one using this DAC.

CDX-870
Themachine.jpg

CDX-1060

CDX-1060.jpg

Last edited:
Sony consumer CDP's were cheaply made and wore out too fast. Hope the CDX-870 is better.

Hmm... where did that one come from?

If I recall correckt, the Sony ES CD-P's have quite a good reputation. I do know of one (big) radio station here that used run a lot of those, this was not due to lack of funding but due to there liking of the CD-P's.

Hmm... where did that one come from?

If I recall correckt, the Sony ES CD-P's have quite a good reputation. I do know of one (big) radio station here that used run a lot of those, this was not due to lack of funding but due to there liking of the CD-P's.

That's my experience with them. I won't buy them.

THX Yamahalic, but thay are not the same. They might share the same DAC, but that's it.

TRM:
Thank you for the photos, amazing how they can have the same faceplate (or very similar), but be so very different on the inside. I found a few websites from Germany that referenced the 870 CDP, here is an English translation from hifi-wiki...

http://translate.googleusercontent....le.com&usg=ALkJrhistYviawkmo00AfwjrVkOxs1DHLQ

With the sell date in the above link (1992-93), I pulled out my full-line brochure from that period, and there were many x70 and xx70 units, but not in the CDPs. It seems the USA market was already dropping the CDPs, in favor of CDVs and DVDs. Yamaha USA launched the CDV-870 (a heavy unit at 10kg).

That is actually not bad news but good news, since the Sony's optics are the most easy ones to find replacements for (and cheep too) but I am not sure that the entire transport is Sony It might only be the optics.

(I have spear optics for the 870, so no problem there).

Yamahalic the US CD-P models was shut down after the xx60 models, I wrote more about this in the CDX thread. Also the 870 is made in France, so propperly EU only.

And thx for the link, even I know it allready (I read German). The page is atually becoming one of the biggest info places on the net about Hi-Fi models, they carry info about models from more than 400 brands. It's not without reason they call themself hifi wiki (good news are it seems thay are working on a english translation).

This link goes straight to the manufactor page (in german), here you just pic the brand (nächste 200) means next 200 brands: http://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Kategorie:Hersteller everything coloured red means no info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom