Howdy People.. Been a while.. Pig Roast Invite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
Hi ya'll... It's been quite a while since I've stopped in..

Most of you (ok, the old members) know that my wife and I bought a farm in WV late in 2012... .We've spent the last year working on the house getting it ready to start moving in this June... We just finished up getting the floors and a stairwell to upstairs in, so the place is now livable..

Which means it's time for a party!!!!

OK, I know it would be a drive for a lot of you, but April 19th (Easter weekend) we're having a good old fashioned pig roast... My wife wanted a party for my 50th birthday on April 19th, so I figure why not.. Let's go all out..

I just got a call yesterday, a friend bought me a 200lb pig at the livestock auction... We'll be out there this coming weekend to get a look at him.. I'm sure he's gonna look real tasty..

For anyone that would be interested, drop me a note in this thread and I'll get back to you. My PM's are full right now, but I plan to renew my subscription later today to fix that.. and because I got a stack of gear I need to bet moved in BT before we move.....

We're getting pretty stoked.. 68 days until we quit our jobs and start moving..

In the mean time, we're gonna throw this party,. and have a bunch of people out to the farm..

It's in the central part of WV.. Just off I79 near a town called Weston... If you are a camper, LOTS of room to camp... We have a lot of floor space in the house if you are an air mattress kind of sleeper... If you aren't used to roughing it, there are a couple hotels about 25 miles from the house.. .

I'm sure it's gonna be a heck of a party.. so if you're interested, let me know and I'll get you some details.. We've got a frined coming in from STL, a couple from PA, one or two that I know of from the DC area for sure, and of course we'll have a lot of local people from WV we've met..

Granted, this isn't so much an AK deal, but rather a party to hang out with friends we've made over the years.. I know a lot of you have been to a couple of the BBQs I've had for AK, so I'm hoping that some of you may be able to make a trip to WV... Come hang out.. do some eating and drinking.. maybe some hiking through the woods, and I've even had a few ask me about shooting, so I'll get a range set up for anyone that wants to get some shooting out of their system..

It's good to say hi again... Sorry I've not been around, but our priories have gone from music to construction and landscaping...BUT.. ya can't get rid of me that easy :D

Welcome back! Sounds like fun but it's a bit too far from AZ. Have fun and Happy Birthday whenever it is!! :yes:

Welcome back, Simi, and congrats on the new digs.

Are you quitting your jobs, and have others lined up?

Thanks ya'll... Yeah.. just up and quitting our jobs the end of May.. Nothing lined up after that.. Take two months to move ourselves, then start looking for jobs..

My wife is going to take the test for a state job. She hopes to get one for the health insurance for us..

She'd like me to get a job that affords me as much time at home as possible.. or not get a job and do side work when I have the time..

She's wanting too many animals and garden for both of us to work full time..

Living is real cheap out there, so hopefully we can get away with that..

Good to see back Simi! Happy to hear things are going well in WV. I enjoyed following your progress for a while. Are you posting on a homestead forum? If so, where?

BIG CONGRATS on getting to your dream!!! :thmbsp::thmbsp:

Won't be able to make the roast but will be in Morgantown a few weeks later to retrieve son from WVU for the summer.

HI!.. Thanks!!!

Yeah.. I pretty much moved from here on AK to Homesteading Today... A really cool site for country people.. or others that dream of the country life.. If ya wanna grow beets or boers, they got all your answers there.. A hand full of preppers there too...

Yep.. we're about an hour or so south from Morgantown.. We have some friends in Charles Town coming down for the party... Shame you won't be there sooner to come help get rid of all this pig..

Congratulations!

I am enjoying some unemployment (again) and working on my farm in ND.
I guess I'm half way to you.
Wish I could get the rest of the way....April 19 I have to be back in WA.

SO, enjoy a bite for me.

AND, we need some "new home" photos!

Yeah yeah yeah.. LOL.. My whole family is all over me to get new pictures up.. Been quite a while since I put any up on Flickr... I think most of you have seen everything I put up..

But.. just in case..

www.flickr.com/photos/dc-duo/sets

I've got probably 400 hundred or more I need to get posted..

Yes, I was wondering if you had went off the grid.
Good to hear the "old Haney place" is coming along

Wow, you have missed so much.

Yeah yeah yeah.. LOL.. My whole family is all over me to get new pictures up.. Been quite a while since I put any up on Flickr... I think most of you have seen everything I put up..

But.. just in case..

www.flickr.com/photos/dc-duo/sets

I've got probably 400 hundred or more I need to get posted..

Got any "before" and "after" shots of you and the wife?
I'm betting you both "trimmed up" a bit.
I'm down 10 pounds in the couple months I've been "working on the farm".
:lmao:

So you guys tore out the entire subfloor? DAMN, now that is hardcore.

Great job.

For the main part of the house, we had to take everything out.. joists and all.. Then we did the mudroom.. same thing... Then upstairs we took out the hardwood floor and sistered the joists to strengthen them, then laid new subfloor on that..

We didn't have much choice.. everything was pretty rotted and already fallen.

Yeah.. it was hardcore.. it was a lot of work, but well worth it... So proud of my wife for being able to keep up with me and help me get it all in.. .

LOL.. no.. both of us pretty much look the same.. We still eat good :) ... Yep.. it's what has kept us away, but we've been doing well, and just so glad to be getting out of this area soon..

I've spent the last hour staring at your pictures of that rotted subfloor.

Man, you've got some serious cojones, my friend. That was some pretty bad wood in there. Looks to my untrained eye that you're doing that old house up right. Keep up the great work. Looks very peaceful.

LOL.. no.. both of us pretty much look the same.. We still eat good :) ... Yep.. it's what has kept us away, but we've been doing well, and just so glad to be getting out of this area soon..

Nice to hear things are going well... since you are eating good, that fawn? The one you posted pictures of a while back?

Was it good eatin?

:sigh:

Oh yeah.. it's been a whole lot of work replacing all the joists and floor... That wasn't as bad as replacing the rotted out beam we had though... Just getting the old supporting stones(piers) moved so we could get new concrete poured and piers in was a massive deal... Found it was easier to just dig a big hole and use a come along to pull the boulders into them and bury them..

It wasn't so much it was complicated work, as much as it was a lot of muscle work... 16 foot treated 2x10's and 29/32's treated ply isn't so light.. My wife really struggled to help me with them, but she was a heck of a trooper and got it done with me..

I wish I had some picture of the stairs we put in.. It was just me and her and we had to drop a 9 step run in.. .We had to get it up 5 steps, then stand it up on the landing, then lower it down into place... Wasn't so much how heavy it was, but it was more that if my math was off, once we lowered it, if I came up short on the distance, it was going to get dropped and we'd have had a real mess..

BUT, my math was almost correct ...the distance I had right.. turns out the steps were 1/8" taller on the rise than what I realized (we bought them assembled used at the re-store and I had measured them as an 8" rise.. (not 8-1/8th..) I measured them wrong.. so anyway, you get a staircase that the top step is 2" too high.. that 1/8th inch adds up fast with 14 steps.. DOH...

Nope.. no deer hunting this past year... Had no time... Did buy another new deer rifle though.. OK.. well.. more like an Elk or moose rifle, but it will shoot deer all the same :)

I'll add that one to my arsenal to deer getters.... I'm sure we'll be taking a few this coming season...

Bought a Ruger 10/22 that my wife has pretty much claimed.. She's been practicing with it and says she can't wait to go start collecting tree-rats for the frying pan..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom