The Big Block club - Amp nudies

You seen it before..... Technics SE-A3 MK2 and Technics SU-A4 MK2

InsideSE-A3MK2.jpg

Trevlignrbild.jpg

Nrbild1-3.jpg

I have the V900 as well but they're sb factory fit... Have plans on fitting mine with 2SA1494 and 2SC3858 outputs

The BFG 9000 aka Crest 5001

Yes quite the cannon here by comparison to most one sees. Thats 17, count em, 17 outputs per channel. Ive seen this amp drive a dead short for a period of time and just red line, then hook back up to the speaker and pick up where it left off. Granted I wouldnt advise this. But to say these old Crest amps are iron clad is an understatement.

Yea its pro audio. To those naive enough to think they have no place in serious or home audio I say great. Glad theres still deals to be had.

Not much info on this sucker on the net. In googleing the model for fun I found a sales ad listing this amp and some Tannoy studio monitors. Seller said it came from a mastering engineers rig.

My old best friend came home to visit for Xmas a few states away. Was kind enough to bring it back for me since he drove. Best $250 (including gas money to the seller off craigs for dropping it off to him) I spent for such a beast.

Will need to be re-capped yet but it still works fine now.

Thought some would get a kick out of seeing this.

Attachments

• 103_2867.jpg
    103_2867.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 103_2877.jpg
    103_2877.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 103_2878.jpg
    103_2878.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 66
Yes quite the cannon here by comparison to most one sees. Thats 17, count em, 17 outputs per channel. Ive seen this amp drive a dead short for a period of time and just red line, then hook back up to the speaker and pick up where it left off. Granted I wouldnt advise this. But to say these old Crest amps are iron clad is an understatement.

Yea its pro audio. To those naive enough to think they have no place in serious or home audio I say great. Glad theres still deals to be had.

Not much info on this sucker on the net. In googleing the model for fun I found a sales ad listing this amp and some Tannoy studio monitors. Seller said it came from a mastering engineers rig.

My old best friend came home to visit for Xmas a few states away. Was kind enough to bring it back for me since he drove. Best $250 (including gas money to the seller off craigs for dropping it off to him) I spent for such a beast.

Will need to be re-capped yet but it still works fine now.

Thought some would get a kick out of seeing this.

That is HEFTY ... what is its weight? Letalone power output... Love it! :yes:

Here is Matsushitas commercial line RAMSA

These too are hefty power amps

650W/ch 4 ohm 1.3kW 8ohm mono

Fed by the largest electrolytics I've seen irl

Those Ramsa amps look badass! Look closer at my pics ;)

Yes overall I hear very good things about most of the old Ramsa amps. Guys speak of em sounding good and being reliable with the best of em.

The only thing Im not fond about with newer pro amps like that, is often those are the days when implimenting compression for protection and DSP like / straight up, into the design was becoming common place. Granted in many cases this can be disabled. And the compression in some only kicks in when your really driving the amp crazy hard. Thats what I like about these dinosaur Crests. Just big brawny pure amp. Nothing more. And in most cases very serviceable.

Its about 68 lbs if I remember correctly. I also have is smaller brothers, the 4001, 3001 and 2501/3501. One day I needed to move this 5001 and a 4001. It was amazing how noticeable the difference was. Size and weight wise. The funny thing is power wise they are almost the same. 4001 is 300 per side and 5001 is 350. Just beasts.

When I first saw the back of this 5001 is was puzzled by the 4 sets of terminals per channel. But then it dawned on me. In a pro environment with an amp like this, its fine with a 2 ohm per side load. So string up 3 sets of 8 amp speakers or 4 of 16. 1 amp equals 1 small array LOL.

Heres a better pic of the wattage.

Attachments

• 103_2879.jpg
    103_2879.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 21
My Denon PMA-750. Overbuilding taken to a whole new standard. Massive 15,000 uf capacitors!

Attachments

• DSCF7205.jpg
    DSCF7205.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF7213.jpg
    DSCF7213.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF7201.jpg
    DSCF7201.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF7203.jpg
    DSCF7203.jpg