Is there a doctor in the house ?!?!

PROJECT 2501

Im having difficulty in imagining what could brighten your afternoon more than having your stereo issue a humbling (albeit) undesired reminder of the insurmountable bleakness which shrouds the fate of all matter in being subject to entropy as a never decreasing collective state of decay. With all matter being bound by the laws of thermodynamics, not even then marantz 1060 with its exceptional build quality is exempt from the eventuality of certain demise. Now, i specifically mention the 1060 integrated amp because it was this make and model which today had finally succumbed to the foreseen conclusion of all isolated systems having events of energy dissipation over a given time. Only, few if any could have anticipated what this integrated amp "chose" to do during its final moment of power consumption. While powered up, i had coneccted the 14 guage copper strainded wire that was running from the terminals on left channel of the amp to a JBL 4311WXA and in a sudden moment of horror, gave witness to a electrical anomaly that took place on both the terminals of the speaker and the output terminals of the amp. A brilliant and blinding opalescent spark flashed from both locations which was followed by a short lived open flame that took form into a bellow of dense black smoke. Its as if in an instant the amp had become self aware and hell bent on finishing what JOSHUA started by acheiving global thermo-nuclear war.......

If your still reading this then let it be known that I purposely " big dealed" the situation and made it out to be more than what it was. I plugged the thing in, hooked up some speakers and sparks & smoke happened....can someone tell me why???

Thanks
PROJECT 2501
L.S.D-25 visible sound recordings

You let the magic smoke out. You shorted the output. No bueno for a transistor amp. Next time hook everything up and check the wiring BEFORE turning the amp on. You should have it looked at before you power it up again.

Pete, that's just amazing. I thought the Smoke Kit had gone away forever.

Project - Did you get a photo? Did you need to use a flash? Just how much DC offset is there in the left side outputs?

Never, ever fiddle with the speaker wires on a powered up amp. You blew the output transistors and probably a few other components as well. Give yourself a dope slap for me.

For your consideration and perhaps entertainment........

The DMM results...

Without hesitation and being absent of shame, the right channel boasted an immune deficient high score of 40.7* (see foot note)

The left channel didn't share the same enthusiasm in spilling the beans but, it did however coherently convey enlightenment which was sufficient in enabling me to draw to conclusion. Out of courtesy, the amplifier's left channel went ahead and did me a favor and sent my DMM to the landfill in the sky by inducing a total system crash within a fraction of a moment after displaying a read out of a four digit number in which I was not able to confirm the numerical value residing in the hundreds column but needless to say, the relevance of possessing the knowledge of knowing exactly how many hundreds of mv. registering in your amp, whether it be 100 or 900, is inconsequential since no matter how you do the math it will add up to diarrhea. ..

*foot note

With the probes connected into the terminals of the right channel and while having a read out of 40.7mv, a strange but seemingly certain "fix" could be performed by pressing the low filter button in resulting in an instantaneous drop in the reading..every time..without fail ..all the way down to 4.8mv, where it would hold steady until the low filter be pressed again and turned off....

. . . The left channel didn't share the same enthusiasm in spilling the beans but, it did however coherently convey enlightenment which was sufficient in enabling me to draw to conclusion. Out of courtesy, the amplifier's left channel went ahead and did me a favor and sent my DMM to the landfill in the sky by inducing a total system crash within a fraction of a moment after displaying a read out of a four digit number . . . .

Jesus, you're dangerous. :D

Gratuitous ?
no,
nescience ?
admitedly
vacuous ?
certainly not,
moratory ?
misuse of the word.

I am truly concerned that you will soon be wishing for an actual doctor in your house.
Electricity will kill you,
please be careful.

Jesus, you're dangerous. :D

This is a valid statement which I can whole heartily agree with IF the context is subjectified through reinterpretation and perceived to insinuate that the statement in fact refers to the lunacy of all theistic religion and the atrocities commited by all denominations therein....then yes, Jesus, you are dangerous.

Gratuitous ?
no,
nescience ?
admitedly
vacuous ?
certainly not,
moratory ?
misuse of the word.

I am truly concerned that you will soon be wishing for an actual doctor in your house.
Electricity will kill you,
please be careful.

Moratory...misuse of the word.
Acknowledged and accepted.

Moratorium.....was what I was looking for

Should have kept my mouth shut. Today I was switching out some pieces and forgotten to shut one off. End result was a transient that appears to have killed a tweeter in one of my Heresy HIIs. Never in decades have I EVER had something like this happen. Worse, I had just negotiated with someone to buy them.

Guess tomorrow I will pull the horn, double check and probably make Bob Crites a little richer. Now the question arises whether to sell or go a little goofy and replace midrange also and keep them. I thought after buttoning up the Fives my projects were done. I did not expect a 25 watt amp could fry these suckers.

So, Project 2501 you just had your cherry broken earlier than I. Almost all of us have done it.

Back
Top Bottom