Modern Miracles Best Buy Sells 300 watt Receivers That weigh 5lbs

how do you get any decent sound out of a featherweight amp. The young generation is being fed this load of hooey by the likes of future shop best buy and radioshack

Plenty of great new amps around that weigh a whole lot of nothing.

For instance, the new NAD D3020 sounds great, and weighs 3 lbs.

NADD3020Amp3.jpg

how do you get any decent sound out of a featherweight amp. The young generation is being fed this load of hooey by the likes of future shop best buy and radioshack

What amp? So far we're on the second page discussing what may be, as far as we know, a made up story. :D

*Link* ?

As far as light weight amps go, I don't know how one could not be aware of the many, many great sounding, tiny amps that have been developed the last few years. I've ran some of them against my 400 watt boat anchor, and they compare quite well. :yes: No blue dials though.

Plenty of great new amps around that weigh a whole lot of nothing.

For instance, the new NAD D3020 sounds great, and weighs 3 lbs.

Yes, but the 3020 puts out 30 watts, it's the claimed wattage COMBINED with the weight that's funny.

Audiophile/Audio Enthusiast rules to live by #1.

STOP TAKING BEST BUY SERIOUSLY.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, but the 3020 puts out 30 watts, it's the claimed wattage COMBINED with the weight that's funny.

Well, then some one should tell me when we get to a high enough power level to be funny.

BTW, the NAD puts out almost 150 watts into 2 ohms. Is that funny?

And, it weighs a 1/4 as much as the 20 watt original Nad 3020. While doing a whole lot more stuff.

But weight and power maybe are, you can't have lots of power with a puny transformer can you?
You do, with class D amp and switch mode power supply. Look at gaming computers power module - less than four pounds delivers over 1000W. This is where recent advances in power electronics mostly happened.

Nowadays, the power supplies tend not to be the traditional "brute force" C-R-C (or C-L-C, eor variations thereof) power supplies operating direct from 60 Hz (in the US) AC mains that we grew up with. At such low frequencies, the power transformers need to be big - and heavy. Modern supplies may 'upconvert' to much higher frequencies where the components can be much smaller/lighter/cheaper. The power supplies are also much more efficient... the downside is that they produce higher-frequency noise to deal with... but that's what chokes (and other filter networks) are for.

The output topologies can also be much more efficient than traditional Class A or Class AB designs -- thus requiring far less power from the AC to DC converting input power supply.

All of which adds up to the 10 lb, 1000 watt power amp Shrinkboy mentioned, quietly, a couple of pages ago in this thread.

You do, with class D amp and switch mode power supply. Look at gaming computers power module - less than four pounds delivers over 1000W. This is where recent advances in power electronics mostly happened.

Yep, almost all the major pro audio companies that make amps for touring rigs have introduced a series of amps in their lines that use switch mode power supplies. QSC, Crown, Samson, Peavey, and a lot more. It's not unusual to see 1000 watts RMS or maybe even more weigh in at 7 or 8 pounds.

That doesn't change the fact that it still feels weird to this 48-year old to pick up an amp with that much power and it feels like the box is completely empty! :D First time I saw one, I was like: :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom