The Big Block club - Amp nudies

SVI2004A

Synchro Bias
We all like a nudie thread... I especially want to see nudies of amplifiers using the SanKen MT200 output stage.

Rules: Any brand... Any Model... Any Era... This is all about amplifiers with awesome MT200 SanKen output stages.

*** this is run 2 as it went ot by the to3 hijackers

This undoubtedly turn out to be like a league of extraordinary gentlemen as most amps using these are topliners or not far from.... to get the thread started, here is Technics SE-A3MK2 sporting four pairs per channel

100_6689.jpg

SE-A3MK2Top.jpg

a shot capturing one of the outputs
DSCN0251.jpg

Also have a KENWOOD nudie KM991
P1000155.jpg

I know there a heap of you out there that have awesome amplifiers fitted with these... post some nudies and be proud to be in the Big Block Club :D

Whats a big block? 25 watts, 100watts, 200 watts..................??

(that technics is awesome!!!!)

These type of devices are what I call Big Block outputs
3858.jpg

used in many legendary aqmplifiers

Last edited:
Sorry about that...we'll keep this on topic with 2 screw plastic packages. (MT-200)

Here's my Pioneer SX-8...one complementary pair MT-200 San-Ken devices per channel. Rated at 100W/ch @ 0.005% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20-20000Hz. 12000uF capacitance on each rail. Xfmr is 400VA. It's a "non switching" amp and it does run a bit on the warm side.

Look mom! No knobs! The lack of pots makes these an easy unit to keep working properly.
PB030043-1.jpg

Getting better pics of the outputs requires significant disassembly....something I'm not doing if I dont have replacement MT200 mounting hardware.
IMG_0021.jpg

Overall interior view....typical 1980s computer controlled rats nest. Output stage construction took some cues from Technics' earlier amps. (separate drive board, caps and rectifiers on the same board as the outputs, etc)
IMG_0029.jpg

Yikes that Technics is bad ass.

Yep! Technics made some real monsters. Too bad people remembered the misses and not the hits....Technics would probably still be here if it wasn't for a few truly terrible low end units to tarnish their reputation. (I blame the SA-DX930...tons of these with blown power stage modules that cost almost as much as the unit cost new to fix after the shop bills)

Fortunately their legacy is far better...most of the bad ones are dead and in the land fill. Now, 10 years later, people are forgetting them. The good ones are on AK and loved. :D

Hey, SVI...what's the biggest amp they made with the FL peak meters? Was it the 8099?

attachment.php

MX-70, Yamaha, dirrty
4 Ohm: 2x 250 Watt

attachment.php

Attachments

• MX-70_002_s.jpg
    MX-70_002_s.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
Hey, SVI...what's the biggest amp they made with the FL peak meters? Was it the 8099?

Yeah the 8099 was the biggest in that FL display series.... The next lineup saw only the SU-V2 SU-V3 SU-V4 and SU-V5 get them

Those SA-GX series recievers were a let down... Technics in 88 started cutting corners... The plastic faces became alot more prominent Heatsinks became tiny, and in 92 the power ICs themselves were cheapened up.

Anyway back to the topic... That Denon amp is a TO3 amp should post it in the sister thread I made - the TO3 thread... I have seen some MASSIVE Denon monoblocks using the mighty big block sankens... Model number eludes me atm

Wonder if anyone out here has the Sony TA-N1 iirc or the Monster Onkyo M510 :D

Think iirc the Yamaha MX1000 also had a big count of these...

I really like seeing amps I have never seen before sporting these superb SanKen MT200 output stages :)

Sorry about that...we'll keep this on topic with 2 screw plastic packages. (MT-200)

Here's my Pioneer SX-8...one complementary pair MT-200 San-Ken devices per channel. Rated at 100W/ch @ 0.005% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20-20000Hz. 12000uF capacitance on each rail. Xfmr is 400VA. It's a "non switching" amp and it does run a bit on the warm side.

Look mom! No knobs! The lack of pots makes these an easy unit to keep working properly.
PB030043-1.jpg

Getting better pics of the outputs requires significant disassembly....something I'm not doing if I dont have replacement MT200 mounting hardware.
IMG_0021.jpg

Overall interior view....typical 1980s computer controlled rats nest. Output stage construction took some cues from Technics' earlier amps. (separate drive board, caps and rectifiers on the same board as the outputs, etc)
IMG_0029.jpg

I would love to have one of those.... Bet theyre hard to find

Audiolab 8000P 100W/CH Amp (Left) With Sanken 2SA1216/2SC2922

Attachments

• Audiolab 8000P  .jpg
    Audiolab 8000P .jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Kenwood KM-206

since the SU-V9 has been shown, here is another in the collection:

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 186
Aw... ya beat me to it. I was just going to post my Kenwood KM-209. The 206 looks nearly identical.

*** this is run 2 as it went ot by the to3 hijackers
Hitachi TO3 here!!!! :cry: :nono: (K2221), Bogen hta-125a

maybe you'll forgive me for being the exact opposite of the 80's computer controlled rats nest above... very clean layout. you could DIY one of these as a relatively easy project minus the metalwork. It's the kind of gear I love to work on, unfortunately this stuff never breaks down.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5255630&postcount=11
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will go back to admiring your big boys :ntwrthy:

Attachments

• DSC05704.JPG
    DSC05704.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 685
Here is my Bedini 100/100 1 meg. It has 17 transistors per channel, 4 transformers and a total of 192,000 uF of filtering. I don't have a camera so I copied a nudie picture from the Bedini website (though the clothed picture is my amp).

Attachments

• IMG_4050a.jpg
    IMG_4050a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 168
  • meg100a.jpg
    meg100a.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 284
Back
Top Bottom