sansui 771 clipping on right channel

cheehpogi

It's better to burn out than to fade away.
hey guys newb here that need some help, I would guess its clipping because when ever I would turn up the volume the right channel would messed up or the woofer would make some bobbing sound, don't reaaly know how to describe it. Anyways what would be the fix for this? is this something that a tech need to work on or can I DIY it my self. Thanks and have a good one.

hey guys newb here that need some help, I would guess its clipping because when ever I would turn up the volume the right channel would messed up or the woofer would make some bobbing sound, don't reaaly know how to describe it. Anyways what would be the fix for this? is this something that a tech need to work on or can I DIY it my self. Thanks and have a good one.

First thing I'd do is deoxit the switches and controls.Then re-evaluate your dilemma. Determine if its the power amp section or the pre-amp section in the 771.

First thing I'd do is deoxit the switches and controls.Then re-evaluate your dilemma. Determine if its the power amp section or the pre-amp section in the 771.

avionic, how do I do that? what equipment do I need? ty

I only ask because one sold at a yard sale last weekend and thought it might be it.
After cleaning all the controls with a zero residue plastic safe cleaner. It the problem continues.

Then try to figure out if it is the power supply, pre-amp or main amp
I don't believe this unit have the pre-amp to amp connections for troubleshooting the location of the problem. But you can take the signal from the tape out and feed another units input and see if both channels are clear. This will be the per-amplifier section test.

From where I sit the power supply or main amp has a transistor not fully working.

Barney

I think that 'Avionic' is hinting that this is no easy fix for a quick flea' turn around in that the power supply is probably the first place to look.

To: OP;
I believe the 'avionics' answer is 'rebuild the power supply'. Good advice if you believe the unit to be a value to you. I can't see any other real alternative for proper later configuration and adjustments.

I only ask because one sold at a yard sale last weekend and thought it might be it.
After cleaning all the controls with a zero residue plastic safe cleaner. It the problem continues.

Then try to figure out if it is the power supply, pre-amp or main amp
I don't believe this unit have the pre-amp to amp connections for troubleshooting the location of the problem. But you can take the signal from the tape out and feed another units input and see if both channels are clear. This will be the per-amplifier section test.

From where I sit the power supply or main amp has a transistor not fully working.

Barney

No worries man, I fired it up again and actually it's mot the volume that messes it up I can turn the volume high amd does not mess it up IF the bass is not going pass the half Mark or if the loudness button is not pressed down. But other than that it still sounds great but less bass. Advice please. Thanks.

update, fired it up again and everything is fine. I did nothing to it. Sound fantastic, what gives?

Possibly oxidized relay contacts, speaker switch contacts, input selector contacts or something similar in signal path...
Glad you got it working properly. :)

Plus the caps probably were reburned in a bit and stabilized from the last shut down. Try to run it a bit regularly.. low volume is fine... just keep it cool.

Just fired up Onkyo tx-82 after cleaning and just sitting for 6 months. Been listening for a few day and a completely new amp. The volume/gain is now about 8 a.m. perhaps -30 db before my better half starts complaining. I put a cooling fan in.. these things run hot and the fan is cooling down the output transistors.. kicks in nice and no distortion now.

before I put it out of commision I gave it a good bath of deoxit, really glad its working. woohooo. Sound really good with DCM tw250.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom