700T back in business

bktheking

Gitter Done!
Local friend of mine got chatting about this 700T tuner he's had at the repair shop for 2 YEARS- yes YEARS, not week or months. I asked him what was wrong with it- lights up, no sound no nothing. I offered up my services in the winter and got the call yesterday saying "come pick it up". Got it on the bench and sure enough nothing was working- he provided me with a copy of the service manual which was an essential for this complex beast. Traced the power supply +14 was reading 10. The shop it was at had already replaced one of the small recitifiers in circuit so it had to be a transistor as the caps were replaced and the resistors measured fine- pulled, checked, dead, replaced with a 2sc1815. Put it back together- fired it up- lights started working that weren't from before. That was it- a single transistor. I aligned the dial and tuned onto 103.3 CBC radio - perfect, a little jazz to finish off the repair.

29gekxl.jpg

I could never do that to a customer- 2 YEARS?! There are several shops in Ottawa and i'm not going to say which one it is but if the shop happens to read the post- what's the excuse on keeping a piece of gear for 2 years and then handing it back for what it went in for? On top of that it now has a faint hairline scratch on the face plate! Not cool.

Last edited:
Great to see you've got it back up and running and yeah,they're awesome tuners. I have 2 700T's,although one doesn't work properly on FM. In-terms of build quality I even prefer 'em to my 600T's and KT-917. They seem to be heavier than both of those too.
With regards to sound quality via FM stereo,I can't really tell hardly any difference between any of 'em.. All 3 are just plain awesome sounding!

Great work on that tuner, you seem to know your way around these things! Good local techs can be a precious commodity, the trouble is finding them. People will use whatever is available to them, and it is funny that it is usually the less skilled techs that think they are gods gift to audio enthusiasts, so they have no problems taking their sweet time and offering up less than top quality work.

Two years is bonkers! I recently had my 2275 at a local tech for a recap who had it for six and a half months, and it was like pulling teeth the get any progress updates. It was torture for me even though I know that is not REALLY a terribly long time. The icing was he advertised himself as doing restoration, and when I opened the hood when I got it home I saw that the filter caps, while the right type were too small for the openings, so he used silicone to hold them in, and wired in an additional cap, to give it extra "pow". Oh and he did me a favor by taking out all the fuse lamps and soldering in bulbs. Without asking me first. I know these are just small cosmetic things, but they irked me bad none the less. I don't have to worry about him reading this, as he wasted little time complaining about this site. That should have set off alarm bells! Sorry about that rant over.

Wow, sorry kebby, sounds like a bad experience. I've seen the silicone goodness in equipment i've got from other techs, i just don't understand why they use it- zip ties are cheap!

Back
Top Bottom