RX-V3000 needs your help!

vizette

RX-V3000 needs your help! (turning off randomly)

So I bought this new ~13 years ago. I LOVE the way it sounds with my Klipsch speakers and it's just been a real workhorse. However, it's recently started getting temperamental and either shutting off randomly or immediately after being turned on. I've since bought a new Yamaha with HDMI, but I still want to use this on my secondary A/V setup (and the Klipsch will probably follow it). So before I take it to a shop to diagnose I thought I'd run this by the forum for suggestions...

Sometimes it works fine for a week or two

Sometimes it will click off in the middle of a game or movie after being up for a period of time. Duration is fairly random.

Sometimes it will turn off immediately after turning on - more on this;
- If I let it sit for literally like 2 minutes after it does this and then try again, it will usually stay on (sometimes for the duration, sometimes it clicks off randomly)
- It does this regardless of whether speaker wires are connected or not (so no short in other words)

I didn't see any obvious bulging caps anywhere, but I'm leaning towards it being the main caps. The tops aren't exactly flat, but I wouldn't say they're deformed either. In other words, I'm not sure if I'm just seeing flex due to the stamping that is on the top of them (not used to seeing caps that big) or if they're just starting to bulge.

I want to say that if I push it, like with an action movie, it's more likely to shutdown, but I can't say that 100%

Given the price of the main caps though I want to make sure before I get in there and replace them.

Suggestions on next steps to positively identify the issue?

Thank you!!!

-Rich

Last edited:
I've opened a few of these and its ilk (in fact I had a RV-V1 a year+ ago) and the worst thing I've found in these is dust. It prevents it from cooling well, and thermally shutting down.
Let me know what it looks like inside it.
Cool.
Srinath.

clean

Honestly that was one of the first thoughts I had when I pulled it out of the cabinet, that after all those years it was bound to have some spiderwebs and dust and cat hair. Nothin. The inside was probably cleaner than the outside haha.

Almost bought the V1 back in the day...

-Rich

Ow, sorry then.
There was some denon something or other I had a few years ago too, and it used to turn off at random, and tapping on the top made it come back on.
On that one they had the power transistors put on the heat sink with no compound or insulator. I put that compound and it never did it again, of course I traded it away almost in a few days. So no clue if it was permanent, or only a week's fix.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back
Top Bottom