Yamaha RX series phono stage?

Drumhead

Hi folks, I've got an RX-395 that I bought new in 1996. Still works great and I'm happy with the sound from CDS and Sonos. What is the quality of the phono stage? I'm soon going to upgrade my TT as I plan on buying a Project Debut Carbon. Should I also consider upgrading my amp? My local hifi shop carries Marantz, Yamaha, and Cambridge Audio.

I'm running Paradigm Atoms, Energy sub, NAD CD and Sonos.

My suggestion would be to try it out first....and see how it sounds/performs. If it doesn't come up to your standards then I would consider maybe a phono preamp. Thats a nice system and I would personally try it out first before making any changes.

That one came along after I left the business but it looks like the successor to the R-3/RX-300/330/350 I sold tons of. Nice entry level units, great bang for the buck, but even back then there were better amps and receivers out there. Phono was no longer a priority in those days so I would be surprised if that input was great.

Last edited:
Just tried it out with my recent find; Pioneer PLA35. Sounds great, granted I don't have a point of reference. Raynald - my concern was just as you stated - phono pre probably wasn't a priority in the mid 90's.

Back
Top Bottom