Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

I see the binding post jumpers...they seem to be solidly in there. I am using Audioquest X2 speaker cable and I hooked the speakers up per the manuel using the top postitive post (red) and the bottom negative post (black). Should I try the two posts next to each other?

OK, im intrigued by this. I didn't look at the manual of course to hook it up. I used the top two red/black pair. I now see what your describing from the manual (using the positive from the top pair and the negative from the bottom pair)....

Looks like I am miswired then... as per the manual.

Last edited:
Now that I have the speakers on stands, spread out a bit, and away from the wall they sound so much better. I need to go to bed but I can't stop listening. This being my first pair of real stereo speakers, I don't have much to compare them to so it's not much of a surprise that I'm enjoying but darn if it isn't enjoyable.

OK, im intrigued by this. I didn't look at the manual of course to hook it up. I used the top two red/black pair. I now see what your describing from the manual (using the positive from the top pair and the negative from the bottom pair)....

Looks like I am miswired then... as per the manual.

I don't think it matters, although I was planning to use the two posts next to each other until I read the manual. Maybe some other folks can comment on how they connected their Dentons. I have never bi-wired and my amp is not capable of it anyway. From what I've read, bi-wiring is a bit pf preference and not any better anyway. Being an entry level guy, I really have no idea.

I don't think it matters, although I was planning to use the two posts next to each other until I read the manual. Maybe some other folks can comment on how they connected their Dentons. I have never bi-wired and my amp is not capable of it anyway. From what I've read, bi-wiring is a bit pf preference and not any better anyway. Being an entry level guy, I really have no idea.

I have mine hooked up just like the manual, sounds good to me!

I tried connecting them every way and found that to my ears they sounded best connected as the manual shows.

Can't bi-wire? Oh yes you can

You can bi-wire any amp and the following are two methods:

1: Use 2 banana plugs per amplifier output socket with one banana plugged into the back of another. You need banana plugs suitable for this and extra space behind your amp.

2: Use 2 spade connectors per output socket. This usually requires soldering first and check if your amp accepts spade connectors. Any amp I ever owned had provision for both the methods above.

I am also a new owner of the Denton 80th editions and they are so much deeper and richer in the bass department than my previous Monitor Audio BX2 bronze. Overall these speakers jump up a league from the BX2's. They are built like a tank and simply beautiful. They would help the sale of your house!

The 80th's simply cry out for powerful and quality amplification. I am currently driving them with an Arcam A18 although I think an additional Arcam power amp with the 80th's would be a serious improvement again. The A18 is rather good but a little laid back and I like my music to hit me in the solar plexus. I'm not sure whether to add a 2nd hand Arcam P85 power amp or change her out for a Rega Brio.

My motivation for buying the 80th's were as following: £250 new or around $375-400 US new just because the Wharfedale decals were slightly sloping. The other is because I have Tinnitus and the metal drivers of the Monitor Audios were hurting my ears. This isn't as bad with the 80th's.

I could also do with a DAC as I am using a good 20 year old Cambridge Audio CD4 CD player which was designed by Pink Triangle although it is a budget unit and doesn't match my turntable: Customised Thorens TD160 with Rega RB300 tonearm with Goldring 1022GX cartridge. I demoed the Rega DAC and it was good, much better than the Arcam rDAC and only slightly inferior to a Linn streamer costing around £2000 GBP.

Bad points about the 80th's: These will urge you to upgrade partnering equipment, especially in the amp department. I'd love to plug a pair of Krell mono-blocks into them with a valve preamp :smoke:

Last edited:
You can bi-wire any amp and the following are two methods:

1: Use 2 banana plugs per amplifier output socket with one banana plugged into the back of another. You need banana plugs suitable for this and extra space behind your amp.

2: Use 2 spade connectors per output socket. This usually requires soldering first and check if your amp accepts spade connectors. Any amp I ever owned had provision for both the methods above.

I am also a new owner of the Denton 80th editions and they are so much deeper and richer in the bass department than my previous Monitor Audio BX2 bronze. Overall these speakers jump up a league from the BX2's. They are built like a tank and simply beautiful. They would help the sale of your house!

The 80th's simply cry out for powerful and quality amplification. I am currently driving them with an Arcam A18 although I think an additional Arcam power amp with the 80th's would be a serious improvement again. The A18 is rather good but a little laid back and I like my music to hit me in the solar plexus. I'm not sure whether to add a 2nd hand Arcam P85 power amp or change her out for a Rega Brio.

My motivation for buying the 80th's were as following: £250 new or around $375-400 US new just because the Wharfedale decals were slightly sloping. The other is because I have Tinnitus and the metal drivers of the Monitor Audios were hurting my ears. This isn't as bad with the 80th's.

I could also do with a DAC as I am using a good 20 year old Cambridge Audio CD4 CD player which was designed by Pink Triangle although it is a budget unit and doesn't match my turntable: Customised Thorens TD160 with Rega RB300 tonearm with Goldring 1022GX cartridge. I demoed the Rega DAC and it was good, much better than the Arcam rDAC and only slightly inferior to a Linn streamer costing around £2000 GBP.

Bad points about the 80th's: These will urge you to upgrade partnering equipment, especially in the amp department. I'd love to plug a pair of Krell mono-blocks into them with a valve preamp :smoke:

I am seriously considering to buy a CLASS D AUDIO power amp:scratch2:

I am seriously considering to buy a CLASS D AUDIO power amp:scratch2:

You aren't the only one. There are various kits about that don't break the bank. I've come close to pressing the shiny red button a few times, but I've had to restrain myself :D

Tin Bird, I had a similar problem with my Diamond 10.1s, mine had a tweeter that cut in and out.

On mine, the issue was one of the thumb screws on the 5-way binding post was loose. Tightened them all up to be sure and now they're working fine.

May not be the problem with your Dentons, but worth a look.

You aren't the only one. There are various kits about that don't break the bank. I've come close to pressing the shiny red button a few times, but I've had to restrain myself :D

OMG, darn now I have to turn on loudness button on Marantz PM6005 to make Denton really sing...it needs more juice, until then have to sell my Marantz to collect some cash for Class D Audio power amp:D

Has anyone paired the wharfedale anniversarys with a dynaco st70 tube amp... ? Enough power for them? - I don't have either yet, but have been thinking about this combination. I don't need to listen loud, and the system would probably end up in either a 10x12 or 10x17 ft room. Thoughts and or opinions appreciated, thanks, ec.

Tin Bird, I had a similar problem with my Diamond 10.1s, mine had a tweeter that cut in and out.

On mine, the issue was one of the thumb screws on the 5-way binding post was loose. Tightened them all up to be sure and now they're working fine.

May not be the problem with your Dentons, but worth a look.

I messed w them a bit...they seemed in good shape. Have unfortunately had to return mine. :-( Am back w my BS22's. Not a bad place to be at all... :)

Has anyone paired the wharfedale anniversarys with a dynaco st70 tube amp... ? Enough power for them? - I don't have either yet, but have been thinking about this combination. I don't need to listen loud, and the system would probably end up in either a 10x12 or 10x17 ft room. Thoughts and or opinions appreciated, thanks, ec.

I had mine paired with my Fisher 800C, which is 30wpc (Both driven in stereo), and I thought they sounded quite-good. The transformers did get noticeably-warmer than they do with my W90's, but those are super-easy to drive, so it's understandable that the 6ohm (on a good day) Dentons would be a tougher load for an amp/receiver to carry. You're talking barely 6ohms and 86dB sensitivity compared to a solid 8ohms and probably 93dB's sensitivity.

Took the Plunge

I just ordered a set of Denton's. Going to be driving them off of a Pioneer sx-990 in my office; very small room so hopefully this will be a good pairing.

Mine are back home, though they've been sitting in their box in the Dining Room for the last week. I'm hoping to get them back playing tunes this weekend. :thmbsp:

Mine are back home, though they've been sitting in their box in the Dining Room for the last week. I'm hoping to get them back playing tunes this weekend. :thmbsp:

You got them back? That's awesome. Mine are in the box too still, but it's simply a logistical issue. At the moment, I have to keep my living room as clutter-free as possible, so two pairs of speakers, both properly-set up, just isn't happening right now (and the W90's aren't getting moved until I'm ready to turn the keys over to the landlord). I wish I could do both in this room because the Dentons are excellent speakers for modern electronic music, something the W90's really don't have the speed for, and I listen to a fair share of that stuff (usually through my headphones). Once I get resettled, then it's gonna' be standmounter party time. I really like the Dentons. A lot of speaker there. They do a great job of covering the music that the W90's can't (and vice versa). I got them to augment, not supplant, and they handle that task very-well.

Last edited:
Yes, he paid the fine to get them free from Jail :D

I figured they were in the shop getting a pair of chrome headers and custom-upholstered grills installed.

Leopard-print is a bold statement. Very-few people have the courage to take such a fashion risk.

;)

I kid... I kid... Good to have you back, DC. I'm missing my Dentons as well. My current situation here prohibits me from having two speaker setups going, and I just can't ditch the W90's, which are already set up and connected to my 800C.

The star of the Denton reissue is that midwoofer. It has the maybe the most-coherent-sounding mids I've ever heard from a hi-fi speaker that size, certainly any that size that I really-liked. And while they are smooth, slightly-warmish, laid-back, etc., they still have a quick response from top to bottom (It's not just the bass... The mids and highs are equally-fast, which would make them good contenders for home theater use. Throw in a sub, and they'd probably do that very-well.

My Grado RSII's (headphones are quick like the Dentons, and they have much better extension, but they are much drier-sounding. They don't have the liquid-black mids of the Dentons or the rich, lifelike timbre of the W90's, and they are the least-forgiving of the bunch. I really-like all three though. They serve their purposes well. I'm listening to the Grados right now. "Paul's Boutique" (and they're in Brooklyn).

The Dentons have two important things going for them. One, they have excellent drivers, and two, they have a virtually-indistinguishible crossover point. That's a win in anybody's book.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom