Is this a bad idea..

Yeah, I think it's a bad idea to give your kid a vehicle so comparatively unsafe. When my youngest daughter started at the University of Illinois and wanted a car to make trips between Champaign and Chicago I bought her a new base model 2002 Focus; I wanted her in something safe and reliable. Now 13 years later she lives in Chicago and still drives the Focus--good car. I see used 2002 Focii selling around $3000, I'd put the money into one of those (or a comparable Toyota or whatever) rather than the truck in question.

Definitely a voice of reason - thanks Tom!

Max safety or comfort is rarely the option on a budget. I like living debt free, so sometimes the risk is on my shoulders, since I long ago decided to never be slave to a car payment that approached my housing cost.....

Of course that isn't the way it works for most people in this enjoy now pay later world.

Personally, I like the truck's condition and if he wants to learn to do the work on it, it sounds like a cool project/father son bonding in the making.

Judging from the chrome valve cover, fancy spark plug wires, and the rock screen for an air filter, I would almost bet that puppy has been rode hard and put away wet.

Suspicious person that I am, that is.

Max safety or comfort is rarely the option on a budget. I like living debt free, so sometimes the risk is on my shoulders, since I long ago decided to never be slave to a car payment that approached my housing cost.....

Of course that isn't the way it works for most people in this enjoy now pay later world.

Personally, I like the truck's condition and if he wants to learn to do the work on it, it sounds like a cool project/father son bonding in the making.

Thanks - really looking forward to driving this puppy.

Judging from the chrome valve cover, fancy spark plug wires, and the rock screen for an air filter, I would almost bet that puppy has been rode hard and put away wet.

Suspicious person that I am, that is.

Thanks - I'll definitely give them the Larry David Truth stare.

My buddy had lots of that style of F series trucks. the biggest problem with them is cab mount rust, when that happens the steering wheel will often shift to one side or the other. that one looks pretty close to rust free (just surface rust). second big problem was the kingpins in the twin I beam front suspension. to me that truck looks pretty good.
Air bags are nice but that one should be fairly safe if you are belted in.

Driving an old car or truck that is very slow is a good way to learn how to be a better driver. I learned on a 1980 diesel mercedes that had 68hp (in 1980... probably about 40 by the time I was driving it)... No acceleration at all. Taught me to be far more aware of my surroundings as you couldn't just change lanes in it.

Being a better, more aware driver in the end makes you safer than anything else...

Safety features are over rated. Get in an accident in that truck and I feel sorry for anything it hits. Those old F series trucks are built like a tank.

Driving an old car or truck that is very slow is a good way to learn how to be a better driver. I learned on a 1980 diesel mercedes that had 68hp (in 1980... probably about 40 by the time I was driving it)... No acceleration at all. Taught me to be far more aware of my surroundings as you couldn't just change lanes in it.

Being a better, more aware driver in the end makes you safer than anything else...

Yep - it is all about keeping your eyes out for others. My dad had an 81 Merc 240D - so I know exactly what you are talking about - beautiful car - slow as hell.

Safety features are over rated. Get in an accident in that truck and I feel sorry for anything it hits. Those old F series trucks are built like a tank.

Thanks 55

In terms of safety, my only real concern would be refitting it with a collapsable steering column / steering wheel shaft if the shaft isn't that way now. My '66 didn't have that and I don't remember exactly when Ford started to install them. Easy to do junkyard item.

That's a very rugged half ton and will be very easy to keep running. Plan on needing new tie-rod ends and ball jounts in the front end. There are light duty and heavy duty 1/2 tonners, the better ones have a 9" semi-floater rear axle, really bullet proof.

The I-6-300 is a great motor, but it's not a high revver. From the motor pic I would consider that someone has taken care of it rather than thrashed it. But in any case it's an easy motor to work on and there are lots of them around. One nice feature is that it uses timing gears on the cam, no timing chain. But some models have a "low-noise" timing gear that wears out so that's something to check. They can be replaced with all steel gears that last forever.

The motor can be modded like crazy. I had my block blueprinted, Keith Black pistons, a head from a 240ci motor with screw in rocker studs and roller rockers, Isky 256° cam. Offenhauser intake with Holly 390cfm 4bbl carb, Clifford Performance dual exaust, Accel/Ford Duraspark ignition setup and more. It would pull mountains.

PM me if you want info on the motor or other things related to the truck. Imho it's a very good choice. I'm way out of touch on current used truck prices over there so can't say if the price is good.

Cheers,
James

That is desert surface rust, sand, treat, paint.

The 300 is hands down fords best motor ever. prolly has a 3:1 (or worse) 9 inch rear end.

you can open those suckers up, my last restore was a 300 in an 81, I did all the legwork, the kid - literally - that bought it from me added the isky cam, offy intake, holley 390 4bbl and EFI manifolds for duals...I got 17-19 always in mine

Dual plane or open plenum Offy?

Cheers,
James

Thanks a bunch James.

We'll after a nights sleep and conversations with my son this morning - I could tell that I was the one more interested in the truck. So I gotta walk away.

Thanks everyone for your extremely valuable input on this - it really helped me think this through and arrive at a good and practical decision.

Enjoy the weekend!

Chris

My buddy had lots of that style of F series trucks. the biggest problem with them is cab mount rust, when that happens the steering wheel will often shift to one side or the other. that one looks pretty close to rust free (just surface rust). second big problem was the kingpins in the twin I beam front suspension. to me that truck looks pretty good.
Air bags are nice but that one should be fairly safe if you are belted in.

Item 1 is when the front cab mounts leave the scene and the cab sinks and binds the steering shaft. That truck does not have that problem.

Item 2, the king pins are kinda expensive if you are buying them by the pound, but its a half hour job for a shop to install and ream out the bushings in the knuckles and then put it together...not that scary.

the one you can get easily on jegs et al is dual plane, you have to turn the 4bbl 90 degrees to make it work, just a little linkage fiddling.

I stated that incorrectly, I believe that "dual port" is the correct name. I can only find a couple of very bad pics of my setup, my linkage solution wasn't exactly the best, but it worked.

Cheers,
James

Attachments

• Dorf Motor 1.jpg
    Dorf Motor 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 13
Item 2, the king pins are kinda expensive if you are buying them by the pound, but its a half hour job for a shop to install and ream out the bushings in the knuckles and then put it together...not that scary.

If it's a FWD (post # 17) then iirc it should have a light duty Dana 44 front axle. '67 and newer should have ball joints pressed into the outer axle housing. '66 and older have caged needle bearings and studs that tend to break up under hard use.

Cheers,
James

Yeah- it is a 3 speed manual - should be pretty fun to drive - I did receive a motor shot - looks very clean
securedownload_zpsvtfcqmtx.jpg

Hey. That's an aftermarket Holley intake manifold. Those are rare and worth several 100 dollars. They haven't been made in 30 years.

90% confident it's a Holley.

Did you see my 300 in another thread?

It has EFI dual exhaust manifolds like mine. Very nice.

The Holley intake, even though it uses a 1 barrel carb really boosts performance and drive ability. It divorces the exhaust from the intake.

'nother pic of mine. I don't have a Holley intake. Mine's a Clifford water heated.

DSC00030.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom