Re-Veneer Project 510a face plate help

TK78

I'm re-veneering my PL-510a today. I thought the Pioneer faceplate or logo plate on the front would easily pop off. It's not coming off very easily, in fact it won't budge. Any suggestions or tricks for popping it off without damaging my TT would be appreciated? Thanks so much!

How did you manage to get it off? (Cleanly?)
Where did you find veneer to use? I would really like to redo my 115D TT, the veneer is peeling at the corners.
Pics?

How did you manage to get it off? (Cleanly?)
Where did you find veneer to use? I would really like to redo my 115D TT, the veneer is peeling at the corners.
Pics?

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this. We were gone and it got lost in the shuffle. This was not as easy as I had hoped. I spent a lot of time driving around to different hobby shops, talking to people and so on. I ended up ordering some small pieces of wood veneer off ebay. I'm not sure how it works with other folks but I found the veneer brittle and hard to cut without cracking and splitting. I glued it down and clamped it. Most of the air bubbles were out. There is one just to the right of the pioneer logo that bothers me some. I also got some glue on the corners I could not quite get off. I have chipped the edges of it twice since I installed it just picking it up. I still need to put another coat of stain on it and I do have a gloss to put on as well but just have not gotten to it yet. Probably sometime soon. All in all I do think it looks a lot better than the plastic crap it came with but I'm not sure I would do it again on my own. Unless you get really close and examine it you really won't see all the imperfections. I might try the peel and stick next time. Here are some before and afters.

BEFORE:

AFTER Pics:

I think it looks great!
You're allowed to be a bit knit picky when you've put that much effort into it, but honestly it's a vast improvement from stock. Be proud of your efforts, and thank you for the warning ;)

Thanks Suelzer! That's what everyone says. I love this TT so much! I just want it to be perfect. I think I learned a lot from it for sure. I just need a better way of making the cuts. I used several different exacto knifes and they were all harsh on the veneer. I would just sand the edges down as much as possible where they were mangled. I should have done much, much more practicing.

It turned out really nice. It's hard to do - make more broken to begin the making it better. You have to begin sometime and what a way to learn something new!

I have a veneering saw that's is the ticket. You probably would have had to disassemble the Turn Table more to make a more complete restoration and use the saw.

It looks great!!! :yes:

It turned out really nice. It's hard to do - make more broken to begin the making it better. You have to begin sometime and what a way to learn something new!

I have a veneering saw that's is the ticket. You probably would have had to disassemble the Turn Table more to make a more complete restoration and use the saw.

It looks great!!! :yes:

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Did you remove the original vinyl laminate first? Was the veneer you used paper backed? What glue did you use? What were you using to cut it with?

Yes, I removed the original. No, it was not paper backed. It was just thin sheets of wood. The glue was reccomended by the hobby store. It wasn't a two step glue or anything fancy, just squirt, smooth it out gently and press the veneer on.

Very nice!...From where I sit it looks like you did a good job. I know that digital cameras can make nice looking items look worse and visa versa. You obviously can see the smaller details better in person. Pat yourself on the back...it was your first venner and you'll do even better on your next project.

I have a minty PL-510A as well (just a tiny patch of compromised original plastic veneer) I always thought that it would be an excellent first time veneering project because it only has the 3 outside edges (4 if you include the back) that would have to be done. I am assuming that the Pioneer logo plate was not just simply glued on???

Attachments

• Picture 720.jpg
    Picture 720.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, I removed the original. No, it was not paper backed. It was just thin sheets of wood. The glue was reccomended by the hobby store. It wasn't a two step glue or anything fancy, just squirt, smooth it out gently and press the veneer on.

Ok, for future reference paper backed is much easier to work with. Raw veneer has to be flattened first with a softener. Not sure what glue the hobby shop recommended, but it doesn't sound like a veneer adhesive. Google wood veneer and/or veneer supplies and you'll find a number of places that carry a vast selection of high quality paper backed veneer, the proper adhesives and all the other supplies, such as a veneer roller, to make your next project go smoother.

Back
Top Bottom