Pioneer PL-A45D

gkhashem

I need a better cartridge for my unit.

The seller put a universal AT92E cartridge for a S arm or straight arm.

Its set to so light a tracking weight too sensitive and skips if I breathe.

A better suggestion from anyone. Also not too expensive.

Thanks

I had a PL-A45D with an ortofon omb5. Affordable cartridge with pretty good reproduction.
Set the new cart up with the correct overhang for the S arm (49mm IIRC)

Thanks guys. Kind of ticked me off, when I saw what the restorer put on it.

He got good money for a mint table and threw on a $10 cartridge knock off AT92E.... It tracks real light and is a pain. Never seen a cart skip so easy.

Its up to you to set the tracking force and antiskate for any cart. Search the cart specs to find out the tracking weight, balance the arm and set the force, then set the antiskate to match the tracking force, that might get you spinning until you get a better cart

Its up to you to set the tracking force and antiskate for any cart. Search the cart specs to find out the tracking weight, balance the arm and set the force, then set the antiskate to match the tracking force, that might get you spinning until you get a better cart

I did set it to the 1.2-1.4 g I think. It still stinks as a cartridge. I am spinning but I cannot breathe and the cart skips. Have to tiptoe around the room.

The guy sells me the TT got good $$$ sticks me with a $10 refill. He could have been not so GREEDY.

You've got problems with a "live floor", not the AT92E. I've got one on my 45D and it plays rock steady @1.5g. But mine is on a wall mounted shelf. If you've got a live floor and it's on a floor mounted rack system, it's gonna bounce. He could have stiffed you even more by NOT putting a cart on it.

You've got problems with a "live floor", not the AT92E. I've got one on my 45D and it plays rock steady @1.5g. But mine is on a wall mounted shelf. If you've got a live floor and it's on a floor mounted rack system, it's gonna bounce. He could have stiffed you even more by NOT putting a cart on it.

LIVE Floor? Well I got 3 turntable on the same LIVE floor. A PL-10 and A PL-115D. No bounce in those. So I need to up it to 1.5g. That's not what the instructions say.

Again I got stiffed small dollars if you want top dollar BE A MAN and not skimp. Sorry if you don't like that but too bad. I am tired of people who angle for every dollar, you think it was 1969 when a dollar was worth something. I paid well so treat me well, I did not try to bargain him down.

An honest guy does not cheat.

Weather you got stiffed or not is really up to you and the seller to deal with. You know you need a better cart.

There could be more to it than just the tracking force. The anti skate mechanism may have some issues.
I'm guessing you have inspected the existing stylus for damage, VTA and any obvious alignment problems? Overhang shouldn't cause it to skate, but you might suffer bad playback if its not right.

Just because the deck is mint dosn't meant it may not have some baggage. If you feel the problem is too big to deal with, you should take it up with the seller. If your stuck with it and have nowhere to go, then its your baby and you have to make it good.

One easy way to tell would be get a better quality, new cart and see if it suffers the same issues.

May be anti-skate issue but I will change cart and see what happens.

There were a couple of other issues I had to fix on table that should have not happened since he represented he had gone through the unit.

Also his attitude was bad too. Others I have dealt with are OK, he seemed to be rude after the sale.

Back
Top Bottom