Got Some RS IIb's! (Pictures Included)

Infinity!

Hey Guys, last weekend I drove 4 hours to pick up a pair of RS IIb's! Got them home and they sound AMAZING! I sold my 5.1 set up to get these! So as of now, Im running them with a Crown XLS 2000 amp and using my old Onkyo TX-SR 702 receiver as my pre-amp. I know it's not ideal, but it works for the mean time. I'm very thankful because the guy i bought them from did have the original EQ box that makes a world of difference. I always hear people running a tube amp for the mids/highs and a solid state for the bottom. How would one go about doing this (not exactly sure how it works)? Would there be two amps and two pre amps or what? The reason I'm asking is because the mids/highs are pretty bright while the bass sounds great. Also, has anyone ever recapped the crossovers on the IIb's? I'm nervous to try it because I have never done it before. I've watched all the videos on YouTube on how to do it, but I feel like I might mess something up. :no: I asked the guy I bought them from (original owner since 1984) and he said he never had work done on the crossover. So I think they definitely need to be done.

Speakers have all original parts and all work perfectly! Only thing not stock are the dust caps on the bottom woofers.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics, my phone camera sucks!

Attachments

• IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/RS2B.html

Can't help you on IIb's I have RS-1s. I know on mine you can adjust the level of the EMITs on the passive crossover. I would do a search; check the Infinity amp thread for suitable amps. Do Not underdrive them. Mine have to be bi-amped so I used a Threshold S/300 for the bass and VTL 300s for the EMIMMs and EMITS.

Infinity!;[B said:
I always hear people running a tube amp for the mids/highs and a solid state for the bottom. How would one go about doing this (not exactly sure how it works)?!

A few ways to do this....

Option 1

Run RCAs from your Preamp out to the IN on the Equalizer which has two sets of OUTPUTS on it.

Run ONE set of RCAs to your TUBE (upper freq) amplifier and then speaker wires to the upper freq inputs of the speakers.

Run SECOND set of RCAs to your SS amp and then speaker wire to the low freq inputs on your speakers.

OPTION TWO IF YOUR PREAMP has TWO sets of OUTPUTS send one set to your tube amp and upper freq inputs on the speakers and the second set to the EQ and then to the SS amp to the low freq inputs on the speakers....

hope that helps.

Congrats on the RSIIbs!

Congratulations on getting a fine pair of speakers. They can sound a little bright with lesser componets up stream. I found that the source and preamp will greatly effect comes out of the emits and emims and make them sound too hot. The Onkyo is a nice unit but not in the same league as the RSIIb. Also try to seperate the power source cables and audio signal cables and if they most cross do so at 90 degree angles.

I would try and find a nice tube pre amp. If you are not using a turntable you can use a line stage which is a preamp without phono stage in it. Lots of nice tube preamps used. I use a Audio research ls7 and sometimes a sp6 for the phono stage. Even a nice ss preamp would be better if money is tight.

For running two amps consult the manual. It explains it very well. Heres a copy.
http://www.davidsaudio.com/rs2a-b-manual.pdf

As far as recapping, they are built with good componets and most likely fine. I recapped mine only when i decided i will never sell them. Did not find anything too out of spec.
Jim

A few ways to do this....

Option 1

Run RCAs from your Preamp out to the IN on the Equalizer which has two sets of OUTPUTS on it.

Run ONE set of RCAs to your TUBE (upper freq) amplifier and then speaker wires to the upper freq inputs of the speakers.

Run SECOND set of RCAs to your SS amp and then speaker wire to the low freq inputs on your speakers.

OPTION TWO IF YOUR PREAMP has TWO sets of OUTPUTS send one set to your tube amp and upper freq inputs on the speakers and the second set to the EQ and then to the SS amp to the low freq inputs on the speakers....

hope that helps.

Congrats on the RSIIbs!

Wow... very well written! As of now, I can only do option 1. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good tube amp that wont break the bank (almost impossible). Thanks for clearing that up! :thmbsp:

Congratulations on getting a fine pair of speakers. They can sound a little bright with lesser componets up stream. I found that the source and preamp will greatly effect comes out of the emits and emims and make them sound too hot. The Onkyo is a nice unit but not in the same league as the RSIIb. Also try to seperate the power source cables and audio signal cables and if they most cross do so at 90 degree angles.

I would try and find a nice tube pre amp. If you are not using a turntable you can use a line stage which is a preamp without phono stage in it. Lots of nice tube preamps used. I use a Audio research ls7 and sometimes a sp6 for the phono stage. Even a nice ss preamp would be better if money is tight.

For running two amps consult the manual. It explains it very well. Heres a copy.
http://www.davidsaudio.com/rs2a-b-manual.pdf

As far as recapping, they are built with good componets and most likely fine. I recapped mine only when i decided i will never sell them. Did not find anything too out of spec.
Jim

I know, I feel bad using a 7.1 receiver as a pre amp for them... its almost sickening. lol But for what it is... it sounds amazing! :) So do you think recapping is not necessary right now or what?

Wish those were in my house!!!

Don't worry Michael, I never thought I would be able to get a pair of these. It just takes time to build up the cash and wait for a pair that is in good condition. Like I said in my original post, I had to sell my 5.1 setup to get these (which i do not regret at all). I solely listen to music, never did watch movies, so i decided to get these and they are well worth the money!!

Last edited:
Looking at your crossover you definitely have some good candidates for Sonicaps/Clarity Caps. Upgrade the low value caps with good ones. People advising you to not worry about caps probably never bought good ones. You will be psyched!

I know, I feel bad using a 7.1 receiver as a pre amp for them... its almost sickening. lol But for what it is... it sounds amazing! :) So do you think recapping is not necessary right now or what?

Look for a loooong but informative thread started by maxamillion. TONS of good information about replacing caps.

Replacing the caps in the RSIIa\b is not an easy task given you have to reach through the woofer holes to get at things. Seems to me you have to really WANT to do it -- or NEED to do it because they are bad.

My suggestion is to remove the woofers and take a look at them. look for any that are obviously bulging or leaking or anything else that seems out of sorts. Make note of how little space there is to work in there and make a decision.

While you have them out, line the woofer cages with Mortite to add some deadening to them. Not sure it makes that much difference but it will make you feel better that you have improved your speakers ;)

Look for a loooong but informative thread started by maxamillion. TONS of good information about replacing caps.

Replacing the caps in the RSIIa\b is not an easy task given you have to reach through the woofer holes to get at things. Seems to me you have to really WANT to do it -- or NEED to do it because they are bad.

My suggestion is to remove the woofers and take a look at them. look for any that are obviously bulging or leaking or anything else that seems out of sorts. Make note of how little space there is to work in there and make a decision.

While you have them out, line the woofer cages with Mortite to add some deadening to them. Not sure it makes that much difference but it will make you feel better that you have improved your speakers ;)

So I have never used tubes before, I've heard them, just never used them. How many watts per channel would be enough for just powering the emits/emims? I have no idea!

Congratulations!
I wouldn't be too concerned about a recap or tubes as both are subjective preference.
Just enjoy now with the notion of upgrading to a amp/preamp combo worthy of the speakers.

Good caps will triple the performance. Not one person in the universe would prefer the originals. Think Dynamat extreme not Mortite(clay) really.

Nonsense.
Poppycock.
Silly:)
X2
You can spend a grand on recapping these but he will still have an Onkyo pre amp. There are over 30 caps to replace in these. The originals are of good quality and has anyone ever found one of those yellow mexican caps to be out of spec? I havn't and i have several coffee cans full of them that I replaced for myself and other people, not one is bad. Why not enjoy them for a year or so and find out if he really likes them before dumping money into a project that put the price way over the value?

For the expensive caps...if you are over 50 or so I doubt your hearing is good enough to tell one from the other...some can, I can't. too many concerts, bar bands, stereos and machine shop noise. Probably why i like the hot top end of the IIb.

What wrong with mortite? i put that shit on everything;)

Jim

X2
You can spend a grand on recapping these but he will still have an Onkyo pre amp. There are over 30 caps to replace in these. The originals are of good quality and has anyone ever found one of those yellow mexican caps to be out of spec? I havn't and i have several coffee cans full of them that I replaced for myself and other people, not one is bad. Why not enjoy them for a year or so and find out if he really likes them before dumping money into a project that put the price way over the value?

For the expensive caps...if you are over 50 or so I doubt your hearing is good enough to tell one from the other...some can, I can't. too many concerts, bar bands, stereos and machine shop noise. Probably why i like the hot top end of the IIb.

What wrong with mortite? i put that shit on everything;)

Jim
+2.5
I don't care for Mortite or Dynamat in this situation and prefer 3M butyl strips:)
As to the "big cans", I believe it was AKer Echowars that claimed they were of high quality and should be measured before considering replacing.

+2.5
I don't care for Mortite or Dynamat in this situation and prefer 3M butyl strips:)
As to the "big cans", I believe it was AKer Echowars that claimed they were of high quality and should be measured before considering replacing.

There only two electrolytics in there. A 25uf and a 200uf the rest are the yellow poly(?) caps that say "Mexico" on them that are found in many quality speakers of the era.

Keep using the 3M strips. I work for 3M in there super abrasive division. Our unofficial moto is "your never more than 3 meters away from one of our products".
Jim

Back
Top Bottom