I've got $1500 for a new integrated.

crn3371

Time for an upgrade. Looking for a new integrated amp, hopefully one with a decent built in phono stage. Right now the leading contender is the Rogue Audio Sphinx. In fact I've got a quote for one from Needle Doctor sitting in my in box. I would just like to hear some other opinions before I pull the trigger. Others that I've considered are the Teac Ai2000, NAD 375 BEE (with phono module), and Yamaha A-S2000. Any others I should look at?

Last edited:
I recommend first deciding how much power you will need to drive the speakers you plan to use. Generally, you will want an amp that doesn't exceed 10% of its rated power to achieve the highest volume at which you would want to listen. This assures you a reasonable amount of headroom to accommodate crest factor in your music with minimal clipping. Crest factor may be 12-15dB higher than the average/continuous output level...and each 3dB of sound pressure requires a doubling of power.

The power needed to achieve a given loudness at a given distance is a function of 1. power, and 2. speaker sensitivity. For quick and dirty calculations, subtract 8dB from the rated sensitivity of the speakers...this will give you a reasonable estimate of how loud they will be at a normal listening distance (8-10 feet) with one watt (assuming 8 ohm speakers).

Last edited:
Time for an upgrade. Looking for a new integrated amp, hopefully one with a decent built in phono stage. Right now the leading contender is the Rogue Audio Sphinx. In fact I've got a quote for one from Needle Doctor sitting in my in box. I would just like to hear some other opinions before I pull the trigger. Others that I've considered are the Teac Ai2000, NAD 375 BEE (with phono module), and Yamaha A-S2000. Any others I should look at?

+1 on the Sphinx. While I ultimately decided to go with the Cronus Magnum, I did a lot of research on the web regarding the Sphinx and came very close to purchasing it. Cronus Magnum build quality is very good, so I would expect the Sphinx to be as well. There are plenty of good reviews out there on it.

I prefer the sound of the Line Magnetic 211IA to the Sphinx BUT the 211IA has less power and has no phono stage which means you would have to put out more money on a phono stage - something like the iFi Phono at $350 but it does both MM and MC and likely sounds better than most inexpensive on board phono stages as most on board phono stages are not pure tube designs but an add in SS card.

The 216IA is also good at about $1650.

http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/2115l34.html

But we're talking 15 and 30 watt amplifiers. The Sphinx has more power being class D. I prefer the all tube Rogue amps to the Sphinx. Try before you buy.

I like the looks of the rogue Sphinx in silver, it reminds me of the AR amplifier. The Sphinx is a hybrid with tubes in the preamp section. Definitely a contender. I have had very nice performance from my Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier so the other choice for me would be the Yahama A-S801.

Last edited:
I've had a Yamaha A-S2000 in for the last few months. I'm considering bringing a Sphinx into the system to compare against the Yamaha. I wish I'd done so already to give a better answer!

Does Needledoctor discount off what's listed on their site?

No idea, but I know any time I pull the trigger, you hear a loud bang. and something gets destroyed or at least ends up with a hole in it......

Just sayin.... :smoke:

Last edited:
Does Needledoctor discount off what's listed on their site?

Yes they do, usually somewhere around 10-15%.
If I go refurb over at accessories4less for the Yamaha, the prices for it and the Sphinx are basically the same. They also have the Yamaha A-S1000 for about $900, and the Onkyo 9070 for $900, which could be another option.

Last edited:
For $1550, you could get the TEAC AI-2000 and the matching CD-2000 SACD player/USB DAC.

If I had $1500 to spend on stereo equipment, that would absolutely be my choice (in silver, of course).

One thing I wish I knew about the Yamaha before purchasing is that the balanced input has a pretty low max input voltage. If you want to use the balanced input, you'll probably need a DAC/CDP with adjustable output voltage or inline passive attenuators.

The Yamaha does lean towards smooth, so careful with system matching

I highly praise the MDC PP375 phono stage, for $200 it is absolutely killer, never heard anything better for MM, the MC is good, but I wanted better MC and with loading options.

But for MM I could live with that stage for a long time. In the C375BEE I suspect the sound would be amazing....Plus that is a beast of an amp, just a step down from the NAD Master Series.

Looking like it's gonna be the Sphinx. I'm not seeing any compelling reasons to look elsewhere. Plus, I like the fact that it's made in the good ole USA.

I am looking for new audio gear myself. When I was looking for an integrated amplifier, her are the ones I was thinking about.

Primaluna Prologue Classic - Tube - 35 / 40 WPC depending on which tubes you use.

Naim Nait 5si - Solid State - 60 WPC

Rogue Audio Sphinx - Hybrid - 100 WPC

Creek Audio Evolution 50A v2 - Solid State - 55 WPC

Vincent Audio SV-236MK - Hybrid - 150 WPC - You could possibly find a pre-owned in your price range.

I decided to go with a Jolida JD202BRC. The dealer I bought the JD102 worked me a good deal I couldn't pass up.

Looking like it's gonna be the Sphinx. I'm not seeing any compelling reasons to look elsewhere. Plus, I like the fact that it's made in the good ole USA.
Although a bit more expensive, the Schiit Ragnarok is made in the U.S.

http://schiit.com/products/ragnarok

Ragnarok-main-1000.jpg

ragnarok%20rr-1000.jpg

Yes. :yes: I had a question about my new Cronus Magnum and called them up. They answered the phone and answered my question. Its nice to be able to talk to the people that designed and built the product. Can't say that about many things these days.

What are your views regarding tone controls? The Sphinx doesn't have them, which has me slightly concerned. Starting to second guess myself regarding the Sphinx, and thinking maybe the NAD 375 BEE might be better suited to my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom