Yamaha RX-V440 AVR Connections

nelsress

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
First a little background. In April we got a new TV and I love the picture but the sound leaves a lot to be desired. Not being into surround sound particularly, I decided that all I needed was an AVR and a pair of speakers so I could get more volume and more clarity for my viewing pleasure.

So, off to CL I went, looking for something under $150 to experiment with. After seeing what was out there, locally, I opted for a Yamaha RX-V440 in excellent condition, with remote for $80. Perfect, not expensive but something I can hook up a pair of Pinnacles to that were just sitting around in the shop.

I hooked everything up as I thought it was supposed to be but I get now sound. I double checked, tried a different configuration but still no sound. First I hooked the IC's to the D/TV Audio inputs on the back of the AVR to the HD audio inputs on the back of my TV and hooked the speakers up to the MAIN A terminals on the back of the AVR. The manual wasn't provided with the unit but I found one online but I'm not following how I'm supposed to do this seemingly simplest of tasks. All I want to do is direct the sound from the TV to the AVR and out the speakers. Seems simple, right?? :)

Anyone out there still using or remember how to use this Yamaha receiver? Thanks.

....HD audio inputs on the back of my TV....

Unless this is a typo, here your problem. You want the HD audio output from the TV (or cable box if you have one).

Dumb question. Does the receiver work with another source like a CD player?

Hey Don, thanks for responding. My CD player is plugged directly into my TV via an HDMI cable. I had it in both HD audio and STD audio jacks with nothing so far.

Most TVs these days have a Toslink/optical digital output. Your receiver has a Toslink input. I suggest getting a Toslink cable and connect them that way. It's the best way to take advantage of the TV and the receiver capabilities (short of HDMI).

Once you have the connection in place you'll probably need to go into the TV setup to turn on the digital output. As well, go into the receiver setup to ensure the toslink input is assigned to the source selector button on the receiver you want to use for selecting TV input.

Edit: Don't forget to remove the tiny caps over the tips of the Toslink cable before trying to jam them into the sockets.

Last edited:
That sounds like something I'll do, after I get it to work with the RCA cables, whoaru99, especially if I'll get a better sound from that. It would be great if there was a "smart" cable I could hook up and it would set the darn thing up automatically for us older guys! :) Heck, the only two pieces of my main stereo that are newer than the sixties are the CD player and the preamp. I had to laugh when you said about the caps too, you probably saved me some aggravation there!

Unless this is a typo, here your problem. You want the HD audio output from the TV (or cable box if you have one).

Dumb question. Does the receiver work with another source like a CD player?

I just saw what you meant and yes, that was a typo, there are no audio inputs jacks, just audio output jacks. Thanks for reading carefully, I should try that!

Also, I'm not using a cable or satellite box, just an antenna and streaming for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Oh, forgot my standard recommendation. Find the owner's manual, Yamaha does a pretty good job of having them available for download, then do the factory reset procedure two or three times in a row. Then, go through the setup and be sure it's configured for how you'll be using it, i.e. for 2-ch only vs. a multichannel surround setup.

Based on your description, the basic settings would be -

2 speakers (enable fronts only, all other speakers and sub set to "no"/"off") and set fronts to "Large". Disregard the meaning of "Large" with regard to physical size. It simply means you want to send full range signal to the speakers (since you are not using a sub).

Last edited:
First a little background. In April we got a new TV and I love the picture but the sound leaves a lot to be desired. Not being into surround sound particularly, I decided that all I needed was an AVR and a pair of speakers so I could get more volume and more clarity for my viewing pleasure.

So, off to CL I went, looking for something under $150 to experiment with. After seeing what was out there, locally, I opted for a Yamaha RX-V440 in excellent condition, with remote for $80. Perfect, not expensive but something I can hook up a pair of Pinnacles to that were just sitting around in the shop.

I hooked everything up as I thought it was supposed to be but I get now sound. I double checked, tried a different configuration but still no sound. First I hooked the IC's to the D/TV Audio inputs on the back of the AVR to the HD audio inputs on the back of my TV and hooked the speakers up to the MAIN A terminals on the back of the AVR. The manual wasn't provided with the unit but I found one online but I'm not following how I'm supposed to do this seemingly simplest of tasks. All I want to do is direct the sound from the TV to the AVR and out the speakers. Seems simple, right?? :)

Anyone out there still using or remember how to use this Yamaha receiver? Thanks.

What tv are you using?

Have you looked through the manual and TV settings to see if you need to turn on the external audio output?

Most likely that is necessary.

Okay, I'm an idiot, in this case at least. I told Don that my stating "audio input" was a typo when in fact it was an actuality. I meant audio output but I actually did put the cables in the audio inputs and NOT the outputs! Both sets of RCA jacks on the back of my TV are inputs (I'm not sure what they're for) and the only one that isn't an input is the optical jack. So, I had to go to my local Rat Shack and get a $40 optical to RCA converter and, voile', audio out of the speakers!!!

Thanks for all the input/suggestions through this, it is much appreciated. Now I've got the audio I was looking for! Thanks again y'all!

Why did you get an optical to rca converter when your receiver will directly accept the optical output from the tv? All you need is the optical cable, not a converter...that's that all that extra stuff in your receiver is for. That was mentioned way back in post #4. :dunno:

Last edited:
The only optical jack on the back of this receiver is marked subwoofer so I didn't think it would work in my application. I read all the posts and appreciate everyone's input, sorry, if I'm wrong I guess I have to chalk it up to this being my first AVR.

The manual shows one optical input marked "DVD". Give it a try. You should be able to reassign the input or you just hit the DVD button instead of TV/SAT (the receiver doesn't care).

The only optical jack on the back of this receiver is marked subwoofer so I didn't think it would work in my application. I read all the posts and appreciate everyone's input, sorry, if I'm wrong I guess I have to chalk it up to this being my first AVR.

If you can, I suggest returning the converter and let the AVR do what it was designed to do.

Is this what the back of your receiver looks like?

Attachments

• rxv440.jpg
    rxv440.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 11
You are not limited to only using the optical digital output from the tv to the receiver. There's an analog audio output via RCA jacks from the Sony and that can be connected to the analog RCA jacks labeled D-TV/CBL on the Yamaha(although you can use any of the analog audio inputs you choose).
This type of connection allows you to control the TVs volume via the TV remote. Page 99 of the Sony user manual shows you how to do this in the setup menu by choosing the variable output option.

As for the CD player being connected to the TV via HDMI, you can always connect the CD player directly to the receiver via optical or coax, if your player has that or just analog.This way, you don't need to have the TV on to use it.

Back
Top Bottom