What happens when non-functional AR2s end up at Zilchlab?

We completed the second updated AR2 last night, and here's the nearfield bass response for comparison, red.

These are now ported, and the response of one of the two ports, normalized + 5 dB, is also shown, green.

The cabinets are tuned to 34.5 Hz, and there is a step filter on the woofers. I'm calling this part "Done...." :thmbsp:

attachment.php

Edit: Compare Stereophile nearfield bass measurements of rear-ported Sony ES SS-M9, Fig.2 here:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/996esss/index3.html

Attachments

• 127H-1 Nearfield.jpg
    127H-1 Nearfield.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 444
I don't think corner placement is correct for AR3a speakers. I also don't beleive that was ARs recomendation. I think bookshelf mounting was the recomendation a 2 steradian configuration.The speaker will have better balance installed this way

I don't think corner placement is correct for AR3a speakers. I also don't beleive that was ARs recomendation. I think bookshelf mounting was the recomendation a 2 steradian configuration.The speaker will have better balance installed this way
It WAS recommended for AR3:

Attachments

• _Temp.jpg
    _Temp.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 93
I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I recently picked up a pair of not-really-working AR2s from Freecycle. I was initially thinking I'd follow the standard econowave formula (which I still need to look up / figure out, actually). Then I found this thread.

Can you provide any additional details on these speakers? Was there a crossover put together? Any part numbers available? How did they compare to the more universally applied Econowave design? I know I missed my opportunity to ask Zilch these questions, but I hope that some of the knowledge still remains. Thanks in advance!

***Quick edit here to gather the info I could from the thread:

BMS 4555 on 1.5" DDS vertical-format CFD 1.5-70 horn with JBL 127H-1 woofers.

Last edited:
I apologize for bumping such an old thread, but I recently picked up a pair of not-really-working AR2s from Freecycle. I was initially thinking I'd follow the standard econowave formula (which I still need to look up / figure out, actually). Then I found this thread.

Can you provide any additional details on these speakers? Was there a crossover put together? Any part numbers available? How did they compare to the more universally applied Econowave design? I know I missed my opportunity to ask Zilch these questions, but I hope that some of the knowledge still remains. Thanks in advance!

***Quick edit here to gather the info I could from the thread:

BMS 4555 on 1.5" DDS vertical-format CFD 1.5-70 horn with JBL 127H-1 woofers.

Yes, does anyone have a crossover plan for the AR 2a using the original woofer and an 18 Sound XT1086?
Thanks.

Bump, does anyone have a crossover plan for the AR 2a using the original woofer and a horn?
Thanks.

I apologize for bumping such an old thread

I'm SO glad you did, I'd not seen it before and I'm retiring in two weeks to my garage to start experimenting with cabs and speakers. Altec, Frazier, EV, and KLH. I have EV Four cabinets, JBL L66 cabs, KLH and AR cabs and lots of drivers from those manufacturers, plus a bunch of assorted pairs of tweeters from Foster, Frazier, CTS, Becker, etc. I have Vintage-AR sealer, denim insulation (replacing fiberglass), bunches of caps and resistors and pots, and on and on. My table and jig saws are going to be busy.

Now, if I can keep my 65 year old ears over 10,000 HZ, all will be good!

Back
Top Bottom