Gold Lion ECC83 Premiums in the C2500

mdewire

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have read on many other post that the tube preamps mainly the C2300 produced better sound if changing out the stock tubes with either NOS or current manufacture of tubes. Many people have posted that the Gold Lion ECC83 alias 12AX7 is the one to try.

I took the plunge and changed out the line output tubes with the gold pin premium Gold Lion ECC83s in my C2500 that I have had for almost one year. All I can say is WoW what an immediate difference in sound. The slight harshness I had in the highs is now gone and the midrange has that buttery liquid sound so many others have described. I know they are not broken in yet but they sound great already. I think the Bass will improve with break in but it is still solid at this time.

If the break in time proves that the sound is still great I will probably replace the tubes in the phono sections as well. At this time I am only using the MM phono but I know I will upgrade to MC eventually. All I can say is it seems to be a worth while investment.

Surprised there aren't more chiming in ...

but I think your experience mirrors 1000s of other happy GL users! They definitely sound excellent in my C220, even after some used OS (but tested good) Tele smooth plates and Tesla 1972 vintage E83CCs ... to me they are all in the same 'corner' soundwise, each just a little mo' better than the other (Teles, Teslas, then GLs). :music:

And yes, all sound better than the stock tubes, which aren't "bad" mind you but all the replacements sound much better to me (and others).

Back in the late 60 and early 70's when I owned tube equipment it was Telefunken for the minature tubes and Gold Lion for the outputs.

Back in the late 60 and early 70's when I owned tube equipment it was Telefunken for the minature tubes and Gold Lion for the outputs.
I have about 8 Telefunken smooth plate ECC83 tubes that are about 50 years old but I am hesitant to try them in my C2500. I have no way to check them out.

My Ma230, MC 240 used GE or RCA for the outputs. Sometimes during Mac clinics Davie installed domestic 12BH7a and other times from across the ocean. The Mc 60's got Gold lion just like the 275's for output. A friend of mine had Citation 60/60 per channel and he preferred 6550's. I thought the sound was thinner on the bottom and a little irritating above 5,000 Hz. As money was tight, even with a job while going to Univ. , it always seemed when the gang got together for a party at my place, tubes were part of the budget. I guess that's why I am a SS guy. When I sold my 275's I had 2 sets of miniature tubes and 3 choices of output tubes. One group was hand selected for low noise and low distortion. The rest were either met specs, or the last group were tubes that would get you by until you could afford a replacement. I don't remember which miniature tube gave me the most trouble off hand. But the outputs on my previous MA 230 and 240's were always a source of irritation for my wallet.

I too have Gold Lions in all tube locations in my 2 X MONO MC275's and the sound is great. In a year I have replaced 1 ecc (The small) tubes. I dropped my MT10 weight on the top and it broke it! Ouch..

I too have Gold Lions in all tube locations in my 2 X MONO MC275's and the sound is great. In a year I have replaced 1 ecc (The small) tubes. I dropped my MT10 weight on the top and it broke it! Ouch..

How did it affect the sound? I have an MC275 Mk6 and it sounds amazing out of the box. What effects should I expect when rolling to Gold Lions?

Same experience with gold tip, gold lions in my C2300. Very positive move in the music to a more buttery mid and upper range. That is what my system needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have about 8 Telefunken smooth plate ECC83 tubes that are about 50 years old but I am hesitant to try them in my C2500. I have no way to check them out.

If the silver colored getter flashing is shiny, they are very likely in good shape. If the flashing is dark, less likely. If it is coffee colored, they COULD still be good, but they'd be 'high mileage'. Put an ad on Craigslist to see if you can find someone to test your tubes. (I have a Military Hickok TV-10 tube tester myself)

If the silver colored getter flashing is shiny, they are very likely in good shape. If the flashing is dark, less likely. If it is coffee colored, they COULD still be good, but they'd be 'high mileage'. Put an ad on Craigslist to see if you can find someone to test your tubes. (I have a Military Hickok TV-10 tube tester myself)

They are all shiny so they all may be good. I am using them in my MC240 and they sound great but I may try my spare ones in the C2500 some day. No rush as my C2500 is sounding great with the Gold Lions at this time.

Thank you,

They are all shiny so they all may be good. I am using them in my MC240 and they sound great but I may try my spare ones in the C2500 some day. No rush as my C2500 is sounding great with the Gold Lions at this time.

Thank you,

Where does one buy GL tubes? eBay? There are tons of gold-pin ones.

I too would like to know a reputable source of Gold Lion tubes at a nice price. I don't know if fakes are being seen on the market but if they are, would like to avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom