Infinity 2000A's home at last!

Mr. Soundman

AK Member
Hello everyone. I just brought home some Infinity 2000A's! My first electrostatic speakers! I need help with the capacitor value for the electrostatic side of the crossover. If. Anyone can tell me what it is I would really appreciate it. I'm going to replace the 20 and 55 micro farad caps. Just need value for the electrostats and I'll be able to at least know if they are working or not. Thanks you guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I think it's a .005 micro farad. I read the other posts on these but I wanted to make sure. Anyone have any answers for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 56
Here's the 2000a schematic: http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/2000A_crossover.pdf

I replaced the two big electrolytics with Dayton polys(a little pricey:))
Didn't touch the tiny film cap.

Thanks tubed! Much appreciated. :yes: The tiny film cap on mine had electrolysis/corrosion and had dissipated the lead wire, and the .19 mH inductor coil is cooked. I've only opened one speaker up. But I'm guessing I've got the same problem in the other as well. They've been here on the central coast their whole life and the salty moisture air here from the ocean has rusted and corroded the components. After you replaced your caps with Dayton poly's, how do they sound now? Are you happy with your upgrade?

Last edited:
Wow a smoked the coil?!
Any burnt diodes?
Have fun and good luck:)

I'm glad I replaced the big caps with the Daytons(still trying to figure the high values)

Wow a smoked the coil?!
Any burnt diodes?
Have fun and good luck:)

I'm glad I replaced the big caps with the Daytons(still trying to figure the high values)

Yeah I've never seen that before.:no: The diodes look ok, but I won't know until I test them. Thanks for the info on the Dayton's. I'm going to order them. I measured the resistors and they are good. Thanks again and I'll post some more pictures when I get done with them. :D

Here is a pic of the cooked coil. I never seen anything like this, but I've heard of these speakers catching fire. Now I see why.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
Soundman, progress report?

Sorry I've been away for a while. I've put these on hold due to not being able to figure them out. I need help. In the meantime, I've been working on a few new pieces I acquired on the local CL. A Kenwood basic C2 pre-amp, and basic M2A amp, plus a Reference 450R reciever and a pair of Infinity Column 2's, and a pair of JBL J350A's. I'll keep on the research to figure out how to fix the 2000 A's and keep ya posted.

-Mr. Soundman

Ok here are the Infinity Column 2's that I picked off the local CL.
The cabinets were painted dark brown over the original walnut
veneer. I don't understand why someone would do that? So I restored
the cabs and now the hunt is on for some original woofers and mid's. They were
replaced by parts express woofers with the same ohms and sensitivity rating. The mid's are some old JBL's from the mid 1980's. Going to replace the caps next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom