Yamaha C-4 or C-80

2tumsup

I have an M-4 and the opportunity to get a C-4 or C-80 to mate with it for pretty much the same amount of money.
C-4 has 3 phono possibilities vs 2 with the C-80.
Other than that, anything else that separates these two pre's?
I know there's some here that have both and just looking for your trusted opinions/advice.
Thanks in advance

The C4 wins in the tactile department --- Just feels like a better Pre

If both are up to spec most will say the C4 has better SQ

IMO -- The C4 is more of a PITA to work on if need be

Again IMO --- If both are recapped you would probably enjoy either

Both are nice pre-amps. Both have there plus's. Continuous Variable loudness is nice. Inverted pre-amp out is nice feature.Both have great phono sections. C-4 cosmetically matches the M-4 and has two normal pre-amp outs.

C-4 unless you want to use the C-80 to bridge two common ground stereo amps lacking that capability internally.

As much as I like the C-80, C-85 a healthy C-4 is probably a better pre. I prefer the more traditional Yamaha layout of the C-4 and the chassis build quality is superior to the C-80. The weak point of the C-4 are the rotary switches which often need some loving to get working cleanly and functionally. A C-4 with Avionic's magic applied takes these to a new level.

With that said, the sound quality of the C-80, C-85 along with the excellent phono stage is a fine sounding preamplifier. The loudness and parametric tone controls offer even more tuning capability than the C-4. The weak point of the C-80 series are the chassis mounted RCA terminals. They are often faulty with bad connections.

"when in doubt, buy both" which is what I did. Have the C-80 for about a week and the C-4 arrived yesterday.
Comments on the back of the C-80 possibly having problems seems to be well founded. The board is a little loose and I can see possible problems down the road in that area. Sweet pre though. Haven't hooked up the C-4 yet. Opened it up for a cleaning - really needed it. Will be interesting to compare them both on the M-4.
Anybody know where I can get a volume knob for the C-4. Didn't travel well.
Help in that area will be GREATLY appreciated.

Vinyl lovers should also consider the C-4's adjustable settings for the phono input impedance and capacitance as this allows the use of MM cartridges which need a low cap. to achieve a flat frequency response (most of the AT carts). The C-80's lowest setting is 220 pF which may be to high. I prefer the SQ of the C-4.

I asked an almost identical question (C-4 vs C-85) a while back
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=499015

To my ears, the sound quality is essentially the same.
C-85 has a couple of nice features over the C-4 like the variable loudness and the inverted output, but in my opinion, the C-4 is a MUCH nicer bit of kit. Even just from a tactile point of view, the solid metal controls of the C-4 beat the plasticky C-85 hands down.
I have both sat here and the C-4 is the clear winner for me. It's a lot cooler and special in a 'they don't make them like this anymore' type of way that vintage Hifi does the best :)

If you have a matching M-4, it should be a no-brainer.

Hope that helps.
James

yammy c's

I hope either of them don't have those notorious relays for selection. They really suck. I am replacing them in one of my C-50's with gold plated relays and it is a pain.
The problem is that there is so little current being carried by the contacts that if there is a piece of dust within a mile of the small relays they don't conduct.
Very poor design.

Paul

I hope either of them don't have those notorious relays for selection. They really suck. I am replacing them in one of my C-50's with gold plated relays and it is a pain.
The problem is that there is so little current being carried by the contacts that if there is a piece of dust within a mile of the small relays they don't conduct.
Very poor design.

Paul
C-80 no relays, C-4 3(?) Reed relays which almost never make trouble.

Very poor design.

Paul

Only the C-50 and C-70 used those pesky orange relays.:D

C-4 arrived DOA. One channel not functioning. Off to the repair shop. Seller seems reasonable with the issue.

Thanks for the link although I can't quite understand it due to language but fortunately another AKer came to the rescue. Being shipped as we speak.
I noticed you have two PF-800's. A friend dropped one off and I'm very impressed with it. Not sure if he'll sell it to me but I'm going to try and pry it away from him.

Did you find a setscrew?

Back
Top Bottom