Anyone Have Experience With Little Dot Headphone Amps

Mr Rick

There are quite a range of headphone amps offered by Little Dot. Does anyone have any experience with their products??

Thanks

I once owned a LD DAC_I and a mkV.

Their construction looks pretty good, but is very annoying if you decide to take them apart, very cheaply made.
But it works and is durable.

The DAC_I was the better part of the two, but the mkV does sound pretty damn good with audio-gd discrete opamps (OPA-Earth).
The DAC_I sounds fine with the OPA_Earth modules as well, but doesn't improve nearly as much.
The USB input on the DAC_I is decent.

I have no direct experience, but these are defo in my 'tomorrow file'!

'DavidZheZhe' is the 'moniker' of the guy behind them, his website is here. Some other folks try to sell his wares; but often the price and/or warranties are a little/lot out.

This thread may be redirected to 'tubes' - we have quite a fan-base for these popular units [awa some detractors - nothing new with that]. Please keep us abreast of your findings.

Cheers, og

I've had a Little Dot III for several years. Incredible sound and excellent, rugged construction. Rolled some Mullards into the front end. Watch out for the startup transients out of the pre-amp outputs, especially if you use a DC coupled amp. Be smart and turn the volume down when you turn it on. Also observe proper turn-on sequences and you'll be fine. It's a real keeper.

A Little Dot 1+ kicked out my Music Hall PH25.2. It made the Grado PS500 sound incredibly smooth and effortless. The MH amp sounded great too, but not as smooth as the LD.

I have the Little Dot MKV which is a solid state dual mono design and it works very nicely with my Sennheiser HD650s

I had a LD MKIII, and like rnorton I put some Mullard tubes in it, and upgraded the power tubes as well. Robust little amp, but had some trouble driving my HD650s. Check out head-fi.org for more information on them.

I owned the Little Dot MkIII and loved it. It would still be here if the Woo 2 hadn't moved in. I also preferred the Mullard tubes, but the Russian tubes recommended in the tube rolling guide were also darned good. My headphones at the time were the DT-880/250 and the T1. Sounded really sweet with both of them.

There were no quality issues and it worked flawlessly for me.

I had a Little DotII and really liked it. Sounded great with my Beyerdynamic DT990.It is a cheap intro to tube amps but sadly the tubes are russian and I could not find any rollable equivalents. I had a set of maple panels made to jazz it up a bit.

I had a LD Mk III for a couple of years. I used it as both a headphone amp and a preamp for my office system. Very affordable, sounded good, and tube rolling with it was a lot of fun. My LD was eventually displaced by a McCormmack Micro Headphone Drive, which is a much better preamp.

Back
Top Bottom