The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

Lottsa units but I will go with the Infinity 2000A and ARC Dual 50. I had 2 examples of each and none lived long enough to see the next sunrise, so to speak. Sadly because for the short time they worked they showed such potential. The Dual 50 was a simpler amp than the D76a pair I had and sounded as good. The Infinity were as good and much of the JansZens. I wish Infinity had put more time, effort and funding into the 2000A project. It could have been a killer speaker.

Any NAD amp. I've had 2 and hated them both. Also had a Dynaco 400 that was ok except for the fan. It sounded like a B-29 when it turned on. I had 2 AVR receivers I didn't like. An Integra and an Onkyo which both sounded decent for HT but awful for music.

In 1985 I got my first CD player - I don't remember the model number, but it was a Sanyo. I bought it because of a review that said it had " the heart of a thoroughbred". That may have been true, but I never found out because it had the legs of a newborn colt. The thing skipped all over the place, with any CD. I returned it to the big box store - they didn't have any more in stock, so gave me a refund. I then went to a real audio store and bought a Yamaha CD300, which I'm still using after replacing the belt recently. This is not the current Yamaha CD-S300, but the CD300 as pictured in this auction. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the auction and am not advocating you do anything beyond look at the picture. Besides, the price is almost as much as I paid in 1985.

Any NAD amp. I've had 2 and hated them both. Also had a Dynaco 400 that was ok except for the fan. It sounded like a B-29 when it turned on. I had 2 AVR receivers I didn't like. An Integra and an Onkyo which both sounded decent for HT but awful for music.

Really?... I have always been a fan of value and NAD in the beginning was poor man audiophlie gear, love the 3020 (199.99) sorry you had issues my good friend .

In 1985 I got my first CD player - I don't remember the model number, but it was a Sanyo. I bought it because of a review that said it had " the heart of a thoroughbred". That may have been true, but I never found out because it had the legs of a newborn colt. The thing skipped all over the place, with any CD. I returned it to the big box store - they didn't have any more in stock, so gave me a refund. I then went to a real audio store and bought a Yamaha CD300, which I'm still using after replacing the belt recently. This is not the current Yamaha CD-S300, but the CD300 as pictured in this auction. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the auction and am not advocating you do anything beyond look at the picture. Besides, the price is almost as much as I paid in 1985.

The funny thing is that I used to sell audio equipment. We sold Sony, Yamaha, and a couple of other units as well. For some reason, the boss decided to take on some Sanyo, and we laughed at him. That BOTL Sanyo played every single disc we could find, including the discs that the Yamahas and Sonys couldn't begin to play. We were amazed.

The funny thing is that I used to sell audio equipment. We sold Sony, Yamaha, and a couple of other units as well. For some reason, the boss decided to take on some Sanyo, and we laughed at him. That BOTL Sanyo played every single disc we could find, including the discs that the Yamahas and Sonys couldn't begin to play. We were amazed.

Your boss must have seen the same review I did. If the store had had more stock, I probably would have been happy with a replacement instead of a refund, and maybe I'd still be using the Sanyo instead of the Yamaha.

Last edited:
Had a pair of M&K subs back in 1978. Never could get them to sound good. Muddy, loose bass. Not at all satisfying.

Honorable Mention has to go to Nordost Red Dawn interconnects and speaker cables. Very harsh and unpleasant. Not to mention expensive.

I think I've only ever bought one piece of electronics that was essentially useless junk: a Realistic 31-2020 graphic equalizer.

It was great looking with a silver aluminum faceplate in the early days of BPC, didn't add any obvious distortion to the signal path, had a generally quality feel to it, and had a neat spectrum analyzer display that appealed to my teenage sense of drama.

However it was overly sensitive to something in the power supply in my parents' house because it would wink out at random intervals, about once every couple hours, causing a complete drop out of all sound before coming back on a split second later. It was under warranty, but the Rat Shack techs couldn't find anything wrong with it, so it ended up in the bottom of a closet, then the trash. Pretty much turned me off to the Realistic brand forever.

It's actually a great eq. You had bad caps in yours that's all. I had the same problem, and recapped it. I'm listening to mine as I type. To bad yours is in the landfill. It was designed by one of the engineers that used to work for Altec.

The worst I had was a tie between MPX Grand Prix and Soundesign. Both were used for target practice with my 22/410 over and under rifle when I was a kid in the early to mid 1980's.

Back in the 80s, I bought a Technics turntable (model ??)to replace my old trusty BIC 960. The Technics was a mid-priced ($150 or so), P-mount AT cart, plastic base, direct drive I think. It sounded decent but had a severe static electricity problem: it would emit a loud static POP! at random points on all records. No amount of prep or antistatic devices would eliminate the problem. The same multiple POPs! would always appear on every records.

I finally sold it.

My experience was very similar - a Technics SL-B100 with a crappy P-mount AT cartridge. I had one with the same issues that I purchased to replace a BIC 920 changer, that in retrospect was a much more reliable TT - at least it gave me none of the headaches that the SL-B100 did, which were enough to keep me away from vinyl for 22 years when I got rid of it.

Very easy answer for me.....a Pioneer SX-980 that I bought new in the late '70s. So unreliable. Spent more time being repaired than being used. It was beautiful to look at, and loved hearing those big switches lock into place, but it was junk.

Shure M97xE. At first it was a nice upgrade over the really terrible Audio Technica turntable I had been using. But the inner groove distortion was just too annoying. I started hearing other carts, including some really low end ones, and I prefered them all to the Shure.

I had high expectations for it. "Neutral", "balanced", and "relaxed" are all buzzwords that describe the M97xE. I've found they're nothing more than a fancy way of saying "boring" and "rolled-off".

The brush was nice, I'll give it that.

Very easy answer for me.....a Pioneer SX-980 that I bought new in the late '70s. So unreliable. Spent more time being repaired than being used. It was beautiful to look at, and loved hearing those big switches lock into place, but it was junk.

Interesting. I had one that worked flawlessly after a good cleaning, and even survived a lightning strike (had to get it repaired, of course, but it took a big hit)

As for the Shure M97xe, I've had three of them, and yes, IGD seems to be a problem, but replace that stylus with an SAS, and the results can be amazing. Also, a stock M95EJ stylus sounds fantastic with this cart (have both, tried it myself).

As for the Shure M97xe, I've had three of them, and yes, IGD seems to be a problem, but replace that stylus with an SAS, and the results can be amazing. Also, a stock M95EJ stylus sounds fantastic with this cart (have both, tried it myself).

I considered going the SAS route, or buying an AT140LC stylus. I went with with the AT, since it was cheaper. Eventually I'm sure I'll succumb to the SAS, but it's not really what I should upgrade at this point.

JBL L380 with crossover

I purchased this 12 inch subwoofer back in the mid eighties when JBL produced furniture with speakers. This cabinet is heavy and large. The plastic grills quickly became brittle, and the foam surrounds deteriorated. I have paid to have this speaker re-coned twice, and the foam seems to break down regardless of whether the speaker is used a little or not at all. I finally got to the point where I can no longer easily move this cabinet around, and its low frequency performance was surpassed by Klipsch Synergy speakers.

This 1 piece of equipment has had more money spent on its maintenance than anything else I've owned. Purchased at the same time, a pair of Klipsch Heresy which have not needed any maintenance and seem indestructible. I still use them today.

The JBL subwoofer has not been played in 10 years, but I am sure the foam surround is falling apart while I type this. Worst piece of gear I have owned. Wish I could sell the thing, not sure I can lift it anymore.

I don't know if it was the worst thing ever but it was my 1st foray into stereo. I had a Zenith drop down suitcase stereo. The speakers like wings would open up and were on pin hinges so you could remove them for that stereo seperation sound w/ about 15' of wire. I tried but I have not seen another example ever. This when and now I'm going into the way back machine where spindle stacking started and about 5 records dropped on one another.

My older sister had one of those suitcase turntables very much like the one you described, but I am Not sure if it was the Zenith brand. My memory wants to say General Electric. It had a suitcase like handle, with a single clasp When you lifted the clasp the turntable would fold down and the speakers could be turned outward on their hinge pins. Cosmetically it was painted black and had plastic silver trim around its edges. The sound wasn't bad, but I was only 9 at the time. Anything with the word hi-fi on it was impressive to me.

Back
Top Bottom