got some free speakers

bgoode11

Hey all. Im new to the forum. I went to pick up an old dresser for the wife and the people were emptying out an old ladies house as she was moving. I noticed a set of speakers in a pile and asked her about them. She said she was throwing them out because they were old. she asked if i wanted them so i took them. I hooked them up to a small system at home and they sound amazing. They are realistic Mach 1 40-4024a. Opinions on these? What kind of power can they handle and any suggestions on a decent amp for these? Thanks

Check out the speakers section for a lot of info on these speakers. A lot of people really love them!

Welcome to AK!

the Mach 1 speakers are really cool and are the door-way into a bad habit.

The first one is free!!!

Good speaker, sound real good and after you settle in with them you will want more (turntables, amps and other speakers).

welcome to errr, ahhhh, mmmm hell!

Upgrade the capacitors in those and they will really come alive for you! Yes they may be an audio "gateway drug" for you... Welcome to AK!

The beginning of the beginning.

Now you're going to find yourself eyeing trash heaps and garage sales all the time.

It can become an illness.

Welcome!

He will regret seeing those speakers and that trashpile one day. It may not be today, but it will happen.

One speaker will lead to another and before he knows it, he will raiding dumpsters, scouring the yard sales and burning himself on soldering irons. Various rooms will start filling up with 'systems'. The garage will be his hiding place for scroes that he gradually sneaks into the house unannounced. His wife may leave, sell his stuff when he's away, or get a 'personal' trainer.

He will flirt with vinyl and SACD, maybe try a few high res downloads, get his dealer to show him the latest DAC and put him on a path to destruction. No rehab will help.

His only companion will be a cat or two and several rooms, a garage, a storage shed or three full of vintage scroes.

I've been there (kidding), tread carefully- those wretched Mach 1s saw you coming...

Welcome to AK. Yes, it starts with an innocent find of some old speakers and ends up with stack after stack of vintage gear playing beautiful music. Addiction? What addiction? Just because I spend my time listening to records and tapes while fixing an old receiver doesn't mean I'm hooked. Does it? Have fun with those nice speakers.

Moderator note:
Moved from introductions to speakers.

Feel free to start another thread in intros introducing yourself. In the mean time, you'll get the best response for your question here in this forum.

It is traditional when having some very cool audio device fall from the heavens and into your lap to post......SCROE!.....[NOT SCORE!!...SCROE!] Start learning the proper etiquette and following the tribes traditions newbie! [welcome!]

The garage will be his hiding place for scroes that he gradually sneaks into the house unannounced.

I've been married for 30 years and still feel a bit of trepidation when I bring more equipment home--applies to my audio habit as well as to my penchant for vintage Topcon cameras and lenses (my other affliction). I just snuck in a cute little pair of AR 4X last week. The good news is that after all these years of messing around with this stuff, when I sneak past her hiding an Altec woofer or T35 tweeter, she just lifts her eyes from her book, shakes her head imperceptibly (she thinks) and goes back to her reading. Some folks call it a truce, I call it love. I do get the occasional statement, "they're not going in the living room."

Last edited:
I too love the garbage! I've found some great stuff.

You are now officially an addict!

Lots of great folks here with more information and help than you can imagine!

Cheers, Glenn

He will regret seeing those speakers and that trashpile one day. It may not be today, but it will happen.

One speaker will lead to another and before he knows it, he will raiding dumpsters, scouring the yard sales and burning himself on soldering irons. Various rooms will start filling up with 'systems'. The garage will be his hiding place for scroes that he gradually sneaks into the house unannounced. His wife may leave, sell his stuff when he's away, or get a 'personal' trainer.

He will flirt with vinyl and SACD, maybe try a few high res downloads, get his dealer to show him the latest DAC and put him on a path to destruction. No rehab will help.

His only companion will be a cat or two and several rooms, a garage, a storage shed or three full of vintage scroes.

I've been there (kidding), tread carefully- those wretched Mach 1s saw you coming...

Who needs a cat?

Free is indeed a very good price. Enjoy those speakers!

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom